Trump's national security adviser is out: John Bolton

Reports on political activity with strategic consequences.
KimPossible
Regular contributor

Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:13 pm

US President Donald Trump has announced he fired his hard-line National Security Adviser John Bolton, saying he disagreed "strongly" with him.

"I asked John for his resignation, which was given to me this morning," Mr Trump tweeted, adding he will appoint a replacement next week.

But Mr Bolton insisted he had quit, and vowed to have his say "in due course".

He had disagreed with the president on a number of foreign policy challenges from Afghanistan to Iran.

Mr Bolton, who had served since April 2018, was Mr Trump's third national security adviser after Michael Flynn and HR McMaster.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-49655279

All I can say is thank f**king god, the world is a much safer place now.
There is a war on woman! #VoteThemOut

DEFCONWarningSystem
Director
Director

Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:04 am

KimPossible wrote:
I think Bolton was right on a lot of issues.

rudemarine
Regular contributor

Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:25 pm

DEFCONWarningSystem wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:04 am
KimPossible wrote:
I think Bolton was right on a lot of issues.
The problem is that he wanted the US to wage total war on too many nations at once. We see how doing this has led to the mess we are in today. Cut the head off the snakes and the rest will wither away. Going after nations that were only subs of larger powers has left the devils to fight. Pakistan is the problem in Afghanistan and now China is helping the terrorist kill Americans well by funneling new weapons to them via the old silk road. Just give Pakistan a biblical ass beating and let India take over. Trying to make peace with the Taliban is a fricking joke.

DEFCONWarningSystem
Director
Director

Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:40 pm

Bolton may be advocating too many things at once, but at least he had an understanding that you have to deal with these things now rather than put them off until later when the enemy is stronger.

krzepice1976
DWS Staff
DWS Staff

Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:22 pm

US President Donald Trump suggested easing sanctions on Iran to get a meeting with Iranian President Hassan Rouhani, prompting strong pushback by his then national security adviser John Bolton, according to a report Wednesday.

Bolton left the White House on Tuesday amid a series of policy disagreements with Trump, including on Iran, which has been battered by American sanctions imposed as part of the US president’s pullout from the international accord limiting Tehran’s nuclear program.

https://www.timesofisrael.com/trump-sai ... ssion=true

krzepice1976
DWS Staff
DWS Staff

Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:28 pm

The United States should distance itself from "warmongers" after hard-line national security adviser John Bolton was dismissed, Iran's president said on Wednesday.

Bolton was one of the strongest advocates of the ongoing US "maximum pressure" policy towards the Islamic Republic.

"Americans have to realise that warmongering and warmongers are not to their benefit," President Hassan Rouhani said in televised remarks. "They should not only abandon warmongering but also abandon their maximum pressure policy.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2019/09/ ... 35636.html

krzepice1976
DWS Staff
DWS Staff

Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:30 pm

We'll see what happens," Trump told reporters at the White House when asked about the possibility the US would ease up on its "maximum pressure" campaign.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2019/09/ ... 10160.html

DEFCONWarningSystem
Director
Director

Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:52 am

I agree that the US should hold talks with Iran, but I agree with Bolton that easing sanctions just to get them to the table is not a good idea. It is a sign of desperation.