Progressive Democrats increasingly criticize Israel, and could reap political rewards

It affects every part of your life. Debate it here, but keep it civil
Lighthope

Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:56 pm

Opinion: I believe that we're going to see the Democrat Party move further and further away from Israel. They've been anti-Israel for a while, but now they are being more open about it.
For decades it was seen as too politically risky, but this midterm cycle a growing number of Democratic candidates have begun openly criticizing some of Israel’s policies.

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, the first-time candidate who upset 10-term incumbent Rep. Joseph Crowley in last month’s Democratic primary, incorporated criticism of Israel’s actions into her campaign, condemning what she called a recent “massacre” in Gaza and calling on more Democrats to focus on the struggle of Palestinians.

“There is no justification. Palestinian people deserve basic human dignity, as anyone else. Democrats can’t be silent about this anymore,” Ocasio-Cortez tweeted in May.

In 2018 alone, more than 100 Palestinians have been killed during clashes with Israel’s security forces. In May, at least 58 protesters were killed demonstrating against the U.S. opening a new embassy in Jerusalem.

Ocasio-Cortez's tweet drew the type of condemnation and backlash that politicians could expect whenever saying anything negative about Israel. The Republican Jewish Coalition, for instance, immediately took a shot at Ocasio-Cortez, calling her victory “a harbinger of the decline of Democrats’ support for Israel.”
https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/progres ... d=56383943
The views expressed are personal and do not necessarily represent those of the DEFCON Warning System.

RiffRaff
DEFCON Data Analyst
DEFCON Data Analyst

Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:31 pm

It's about time. Israel has been allowed to be the big bad bully of the Middle East for far too long due to US support. They need to concede to a two-state solution with the Palestinians and agree to share Jerusalem as the joint capitol for both countries.
"It's in your nature to destroy yourselves." - Terminator 2: Judgment Day

DEFCONWarningSystem
Director
Director

Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:41 pm

RiffRaff wrote:
It's about time. Israel has been allowed to be the big bad bully of the Middle East for far too long due to US support. They need to concede to a two-state solution with the Palestinians and agree to share Jerusalem as the joint capitol for both countries.
Do you really think Israel conceding to a two-state solution would do anything for peace? Each time Israel gave something up, the other side just demanded more.

A two-state solution will never be accepted. It's all or nothing for everyone there.

RiffRaff
DEFCON Data Analyst
DEFCON Data Analyst

Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:32 am

DEFCONWarningSystem wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:41 pm
RiffRaff wrote:
Do you really think Israel conceding to a two-state solution would do anything for peace? Each time Israel gave something up, the other side just demanded more.

A two-state solution will never be accepted. It's all or nothing for everyone there.
The "all or nothing" mindset will eventually lead to a full-blown war. There is no stopping it. A properly structured two-state solution where each side makes equal concessions is the only solution for peace in the Middle East other than complete genocide.

I think especially on the Jerusalem issue, the solution written in one of Tom Clancy's books where Jerusalem became an independently run state of its own where Jews, Palestinians, and other Arabs all had equal access but none of them had an exclusive claim has the best chance of succeeding.

Obreid
Regular contributor

Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:48 am

Winds of change, Saudi doc critical of Palestinians being the aggressor

http://www.israellycool.com/2018/07/12/ ... ed-israel/

DEFCONWarningSystem
Director
Director

Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:34 am

Obreid wrote:

Wow. I wonder how long it will be before the filmmaker is killed.

Obreid
Regular contributor

Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:18 pm

Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:34 am
Obreid wrote:

Wow. I wonder how long it will be before the filmmaker is killed.
The purge last year of the princes was quite a thing I believe. I don’t think we have a clue to the effects and entangled consequences. Did you notice soon afterwards Saud and Russia started making nice on some levels. Much of the hatred and animosity to trump in US power brokers is directly affiliated.
I “believe” Trump not only won a monumental election in the US but somehow flipped the powers of the gulf states.
Trump will tell Putin, look Saud Egypt the gulf states and Israel are ready to put this shit storm to bed. Let just let them do it, and support them where we can. Don’t know if Putin will bite but who knows.

DEFCONWarningSystem
Director
Director

Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:22 pm

Obreid wrote:
I “believe” Trump not only won a monumental election in the US but somehow flipped the powers of the gulf states.
I did notice that Trump got the Saudis to increase oil output. That surprised me.

RiffRaff
DEFCON Data Analyst
DEFCON Data Analyst

Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:18 am

Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:22 pm
Obreid wrote:
I did notice that Trump got the Saudis to increase oil output. That surprised me.
They're concerned enough about the destabilization of the ME that they're considering their own nuclear weapons program. Possibility that Trump worked a deal with them on that?

DEFCONWarningSystem
Director
Director

Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:10 pm

RiffRaff wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:18 am
They're concerned enough about the destabilization of the ME that they're considering their own nuclear weapons program. Possibility that Trump worked a deal with them on that?
Are you suggesting that the US made a deal with SA, increased oil output in exchange for something along the nuclear lines?