Was the Singapore Summit successful for the United States?

Reports on political activity with strategic consequences.

Did the United States have a sucessful summit with North Korea?

You may select 1 option

View results
DEFCONWarningSystem
Director
Director

Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:24 pm

Do you think the United States had a successful summit with North Korea at Singapore?

It doesn't matter if it was a success for other countries as well for the purpose of this poll. Only consider if the U.S. was successful.

KimPossible
Regular contributor

Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:28 pm

No & Trump is setting himself up to fail & fail hard. I would even go as far to say when this all goes south or sour Trump will use this to go to war. Simply he will say "I gave them one last chance" so now we gotta blow them sky high.
"Alert Today! Alive Tomorrow! Support Civil Defense!"
– Me

"Humanity is acquiring all the right technology for all the wrong reasons."
– R. Buckminster Fuller

DEFCONWarningSystem
Director
Director

Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:32 pm

KimPossible wrote:
No & Trump is setting himself up to fail & fail hard. I would even go as far to say when this all goes south or sour Trump will use this to go to war. Simply he will say "I gave them one last chance" so now we gotta blow them sky high.
My personal opinion (and DEFCON may disagree with it) is that it was a success for what it was. Things can change in the future. Who knows? But for the moment, it got the US and NK to talk, to agree on some stuff, and agree to talk further about stuff.

That is a success. It may not have been a grand slam home run (NK didn't actually agree to denuclearize, didn't agree to inspections, etc.), but it was a good step in the right direction.

RiffRaff
DEFCON Data Analyst
DEFCON Data Analyst

Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:57 pm

DEFCONWarningSystem wrote:
KimPossible wrote:
My personal opinion (and DEFCON may disagree with it) is that it was a success for what it was. Things can change in the future. Who knows? But for the moment, it got the US and NK to talk, to agree on some stuff, and agree to talk further about stuff.

That is a success. It may not have been a grand slam home run (NK didn't actually agree to denuclearize, didn't agree to inspections, etc.), but it was a good step in the right direction.
Agreed. Any move to normalize relations and reduce hostilities is a success. All the other stuff will get discussed later, but the important thing is they will be discussed.
"It's in your nature to destroy yourselves." - Terminator 2: Judgment Day

Bullfrog

Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:54 pm

An actual first step towards resolving the situation, and one that isn't directly pandering to jingoist.

KimPossible wrote:

You're as right about this as you were about your predictions leading up to the summit. :lol:

Yserbiusgandalf

Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:26 am

In my humble opinion we lost on this one because it gives a long haul and lots of leeway for NK to begin denuclearization while we are already standing down our military and Trump is talking about closing bases. On the press op part of the deal Kim got a lot of legitimizing press for himself and his country while Trump garnered a bit for himself but only made our country appear weak.

Green
Regular contributor

Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:58 pm

Yes and no
Now that there is direct communication taking place the chances of a miscalculation happening are drastically reduced.
But now expect Chinese forces building up in the north.
The NORKs would never denuclearize without ironclad protection from Beijing and Moscow.
The way I see it, this benefits China the most, one of the biggest terms to this agreement is likely removing North koreas economic sanctions.
Once open trade can take place Industry will move in and mine their untouched mountainous landscape.
Not to mention North korean laborers will work for crumbs.

DEFCONWarningSystem
Director
Director

Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:08 pm

Yserbiusgandalf wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:26 am
In my humble opinion we lost on this one because it gives a long haul and lots of leeway for NK to begin denuclearization while we are already standing down our military and Trump is talking about closing bases.
I don't recall any military stand-down. Just a stop to the wargames, which can be restarted very easily.

Any talk about closing bases is just talk, fluff. That's way far in the future and contingent on North Korea actually disarming.

Drumboy44
DWS Staff
DWS Staff

Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:20 am

Seems as if a day by day basis. The day of the summit, and leading up, we saw 3 diplomatic groups trying to get this meeting set up. Very positive work. But I think I speak for all of us here at the DEFCON Warning System that we believe North Korea is still a nuclear threat.

I do want to know what was said during their 45 to 50 minutes alone with their interpreters and them only.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
" man fears time, but time fears the pyramids "

Foxtrot

Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:50 am

DEFCONWarningSystem wrote:
KimPossible wrote:

I disagree. Right now North Korea only made lip promises which is even less they gave in past deals (which failed by the fact that the North just lied to us). Talks are good, that's right and still much better than exchanging nuclear threats. But talks only for the sake of talks while simultaneously giving this kind of prestige to such a dictator is wrong. I don't believe for a second that they are really willing to give up their nukes. For what? For security guarantees by the US when they even mentioned the fate of Libya a few months ago? No, thats by far not convincing. When I read the document they've agreed to I was very suprised. I had really expected more, more concrete. But there is nothing concrete not even a time frame about focused negotiations on the real problem, their nuclear weapons. In my view Trump got played. North Korea sees Trumps credulity and abusing it to get time and they are already successfull with that. Seems that Trump only wants a deal for his ego and he's ready to believe everything this Dictator tells him as long as this condition is satisfied. Now we're talking about the end of Trumps first term as a time frame for them to denuclearize. In fact that is a lot of time for them to expand and improve their nuclear arsenal. Probably by that they will get more concessions from the US in form of sanction reliefs by exchanging more smiles and lip promises.

There must be concrete actions taken by the North to prove that they are serious, for instance letting inspectors into the countrys to monitor the process of denuclearisation. That would be a first step. As long as there is nothing like that I can surely dispense with these nice and friendly but still empty words.