Iran: Time Running Out for Europe to Save N. Deal

Reports on political activity with strategic consequences.
krzepice1976
DWS Staff
DWS Staff

Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:48 pm

Iran warned on Monday that the European states do not have much time to save the 2015 nuclear deal by ensuring Tehran of its continued merits after the US withdrawal.
"We hope that Europe will not miss the opportunity as we do not have much time and I hope that we will witness the necessary developments. The EU will not have much time and we should adopt the appropriate decisions," Foreign Ministry Spokesman Bahram Qassemi told reporters in a press conference in Tehran today.

"If the EU is interested that Iran remains in the nuclear deal, it should enforce mechanisms which produce results by complying with its obligations under the nuclear deal alongside Russia and China immediately and in the least time," he added.

In relevant remarks on Sunday, Iranian Parliament Speaker Ali Larijani warned the European states that time was running out for their show of power to protect the 2015 nuclear deal after the US withdrawal.

"Certainly, Iran will pursue the nation's demand with its prudence but it should be clarified that the Islamic Republic of Iran's officials will not wait for Europe's timeless promises. The time for negotiations is running out," Larijani said, addressing an open session of the parliament in Tehran.

"If Europe considers itself powerful enough to maintain the nuclear deal, it should declare its decision more clearly and rapidly, otherwise, the Islamic Republic will take next steps in the nuclear field or other issues," he added.

http://en.farsnews.com/newstext.aspx?nn=13970321000852

DEFCONWarningSystem
Director
Director

Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:27 am

I find it interesting that Iran is scrambling to save the deal. That seems to indicate that they are afraid of the sanctions. Good news for the West...if the West was willing to stand by the sanctions, which Europe doesn't seem to want to.

RiffRaff
DEFCON Data Analyst
DEFCON Data Analyst

Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:38 am

DEFCONWarningSystem wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:27 am
I find it interesting that Iran is scrambling to save the deal. That seems to indicate that they are afraid of the sanctions. Good news for the West...if the West was willing to stand by the sanctions, which Europe doesn't seem to want to.
I think Trump has been emboldened by what he perceives as success of harsh sanctions on North Korea, and he believes the same strategy will work with Iran. That is a major strategic error, in my opinion.
"It's in your nature to destroy yourselves." - Terminator 2: Judgment Day

krzepice1976
DWS Staff
DWS Staff

Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:18 pm

Rapporteur of the Iranian parliament's National Security and Foreign Policy Commission Seyed Hossein Naqavi Hosseini lashed out at the European states for the difference in their words and actions in supporting Tehran against the US sanctions after Washington's withdrawal from the 2015 nuclear deal.
"The Europeans have shown that they are following the US path. That’s why their major companies are abandoning Iran under the pretext of US sanctions," Naqavi Hosseini said on Saturday.

He added that the European companies’ withdrawal from their projects in Iran shows that there is a big difference between their words and actions.

He added that the Europeans’ way of dealing with Iran’s demands has proven that all those inside the country who still are optimist about the success of the nuclear deal are wrong, calling the other side an enemy who should be treated the way they are.

http://en.farsnews.com/newstext.aspx?nn=13970326000355

krzepice1976
DWS Staff
DWS Staff

Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:22 pm

Iranian President Hassan Rouhani urged the Muslim nations and governments across the world to get united against the threats and plots posed by the US, and said that the Islamic states should not be deceived by Washington.
The Iranian president reiterated that the enemy presently lacks experience and rationality, and said that not only the enemy breaches its commitments with the "noble nation of Islamic Iran", but also it contravenes its regional and international obligations unilaterally.

"Today, people and countries throughout the world, Iran’s business partners, Europe, Russia, China, neighbors, Muslims and all countries must stand up to White House rulers’ bullying,” President Rouhani added.

http://en.farsnews.com/newstext.aspx?nn=13970325000543

DEFCONWarningSystem
Director
Director

Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:05 pm

So, based on the above, do you think the Iran deal will ultimately collapse and the EU will start imposing sanctions?

Bullfrog

Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:32 am

The "nuclear" deal was always going to be a stop gap solution while US shale oil technology and infrastructure improved. It was only a matter of time until we returned to pre-2015 rhetoric, and with Iran being one of the major players involved in Syria, which is right in the path of the Qatar-Turkey pipeline to Europe. It is only a matter of time before those sanctions are coming down from Europe too.

KimPossible
Regular contributor

Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:05 pm

I am no economic wiz, but I know for a solid fact there is nothing the EU can offer to Iran to make them keep the deal without the US. Lets face it, the US isn't going to go for any Deal with Iran, its all or nothing now.
"Alert Today! Alive Tomorrow! Support Civil Defense!"
– Me

"Humanity is acquiring all the right technology for all the wrong reasons."
– R. Buckminster Fuller

krzepice1976
DWS Staff
DWS Staff

Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:10 pm

Angry protesters in Iran's capital held a third day of demonstrations on Tuesday over the country's anaemic economy as President Hassan Rouhani told the nation that it faces an "economic war" with the United States following America's pullout from the nuclear deal

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/wor ... 752827.cms

krzepice1976
DWS Staff
DWS Staff

Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:32 pm

The United States warned Tuesday that countries around the world must stop buying Iranian oil before November 4 or face a renewed round of American economic sanctions.

https://www.i24news.tv/en/news/internat ... s-by-nov-4