It's Quiet... TOO Quiet...

Defense related and not covered in the other categories? Then it goes here.
cleatis

Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:28 pm

I agree, it has been too quiet as of late. That is mostly ended with a loud boom, so head on a swivel! When trouble comes, no telling which direction it will be coming from.
Do monsters make war or does war make monsters

Ein_Kreb

Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:00 pm

It makes sense if you think about it. The usual instigators are busy with other things that would be ruined if they start something: Russia with the World Cup, US and NK with the aftermath of their summit, etc. I'm not sure what is happening with Iran and Israel, but it could be that Iran is trying to revive the Nuclear Deal with Europe.

Maelstrom Vortex

Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:07 pm

The trade war with China isn't exactly quiet. Economic wars frequently are precursors to open conflict. See Japan/US relations just pre-WW2.

DEFCONWarningSystem
Director
Director

Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:43 am

Maelstrom Vortex wrote:
The trade war with China isn't exactly quiet. Economic wars frequently are precursors to open conflict. See Japan/US relations just pre-WW2.
Trade wars can certainly erupt into military ones. But Japan wasn't a trade war. It was an embargo, which sent Japan to attack the US.

matty1053
Power poster 1
Power poster 1

Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:30 pm

Maelstrom Vortex wrote:
I can not see a war breaking out over economic trade war with China.

TheChrome
Regular contributor

Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:11 am

DEFCONWarningSystem wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:50 pm
Guest wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:50 am
Was thinking the same here. Israël has calmed down as well.
In Syria maybe. For now. With Israel, it's just a matter of time. Just look at Gaza, Israel is always under attack there.
I just returned from Israel. Business as usual. Had a beer with a Muslim family, which is a first. Had to use google translate to communicate in Arabic. I saw some fighter jets fly over when I was near Galilee, and an Apache helicopter and a military prop plane near Tel Aviv...but this is normal. The people do not seem worried or on edge, unlike other times I have been there. I do tend to be more alarmed when things seem to be quiet for the reason I have quoted before on this board.

TheChrome
Regular contributor

Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:27 am

matty1053 wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:30 pm
Maelstrom Vortex wrote:
I can not see a war breaking out over economic trade war with China.
I have been chastised for drawing attention to prophecy in the bible on this board, however regardless there are some key passages that can shed some light on this subject. Specifically the prophecies at Daniel 11 speaks of a King that will "exalt himself above them all", "will attack the mightiest fortresses", "will honor the god of fortresses" and "distribute the land at a price" (Daniel 11:37-40)

Which nation exalts itself above them all? Which nation can exercise military superiority and attack the mightiest fortresses? Which nation gives the foremost priority to military spending? Which nation has such worldwide interests that it can be said to distribute land at a price? Those are questions that a person must compare to the world scene in order to draw a conclusion.

China would have to "attack the mightiest fortresses" in order to fill this role, which it has not done to date.

Maelstrom Vortex

Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:06 pm

Maelstrom Vortex wrote:
Trade wars can certainly erupt into military ones. But Japan wasn't a trade war. It was an embargo, which sent Japan to attack the US.
A sufficiently high tariff can approximate an embargo.

RiffRaff
DEFCON Data Analyst
DEFCON Data Analyst

Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:51 pm

Maelstrom Vortex wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:06 pm
Maelstrom Vortex wrote:
A sufficiently high tariff can approximate an embargo.
Tom Clancy's book "Debt of Honor" actually delves into this exact scenario, except it was a trade war with Japan, not China, that grew into a full-scale shooting war.
"It's in your nature to destroy yourselves." - Terminator 2: Judgment Day

Obreid
Regular contributor

Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:52 pm

The stakes for war in Asia are certainly high. Currently China has only two means of projecting power beyond the region, Asymmetric and ballistic.

Asymmetric attacks can be spun off as technology failures to a point which can help prevent escalation. Technically we’re already at war asymmetrical with China concidering all the tech theft and patient violations. To call it anything else is just sticking your head in the sand.

Much will pivot on Taiwan, its a matter of face for Chinese state party. Their long term validity at home and internationally is anchored on Taiwan. Didn’t have to be they made it that way. Nevertheless it’s still a battle to be fought for them. And international opinion isn’t with them on it either.