Emergency Action Plans for DEFCON Levels

Thoughts, suggestions, and advice on what to do if the unthinkable happens.
apollonights

Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:22 pm

RiffRaff wrote:
Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:59 pm
apollonights wrote:
Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:39 pm
You need to answer three questions:
A. How concerned are you about North Korean biological weapons?
B. How concerned are you about a North Korean EMP?
C. How concerned are you that you would actually be in a 100 KT strike zone from a worst case scenario NK attack? To be honest if you don't live in LA, Seattle, Honolulu etc you probably don't need to worry about C.
A: Not as concerned as I am about nuclear and EMP. Reason being is KJU is so focused on becoming a nuclear power that I think he has abandoned all research into biologicals, at least for now. He is so obsessed with striking the US with a nuclear weapon. In an all-out conflict he might use his biologicals on ROK or Japan, but I think he would try to get his existing nukes launched at the US. Plus, it is much harder for civilians to defend against biologicals than nuclear weapons, requiring equipment that is expensive and hard to obtain. I kind of take a much more fatalistic approach to biological weapons than I do nuclear weapons.

B: I think we are ignoring the potential devastating impact EMP would have on our country, regardless of who launches it. In my opinion, EMP gives an attacker the most efficient damaging results per warhead, and DPRK is the newest nuclear power who needs the most bang for their buck. Couple that with their two "earth observation satellites" sitting in a polar orbit, and I think it's a higher risk than most people believe.

C: I am not worried about Indianapolis being hit by a DPRK nuclear missile, even if we are in range. What I *am* concerned about is nuclear escalation that brings Russia and/or China into play against the US, at which point we live too close to too many secondary and tertiary targets to risk remaining in the city.
It is hard for me to imagine a circumstance in which Russia would risk nuclear war over North Korea. China? Maybe on a 1 in 100 chance but Russia? I can't see it. That said given the relatively low risk of the U.S. and China going to war in the short term (even if things with NK heat up) the only thing you really have to worry about is that EMP (once again ignoring biological because fuck its hell to think about).

RiffRaff
DEFCON Data Analyst
DEFCON Data Analyst

Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:28 am

apollonights wrote:
Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:22 pm
RiffRaff wrote:
Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:59 pm
apollonights wrote:
Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:39 pm
You need to answer three questions:
A. How concerned are you about North Korean biological weapons?
B. How concerned are you about a North Korean EMP?
C. How concerned are you that you would actually be in a 100 KT strike zone from a worst case scenario NK attack? To be honest if you don't live in LA, Seattle, Honolulu etc you probably don't need to worry about C.
A: Not as concerned as I am about nuclear and EMP. Reason being is KJU is so focused on becoming a nuclear power that I think he has abandoned all research into biologicals, at least for now. He is so obsessed with striking the US with a nuclear weapon. In an all-out conflict he might use his biologicals on ROK or Japan, but I think he would try to get his existing nukes launched at the US. Plus, it is much harder for civilians to defend against biologicals than nuclear weapons, requiring equipment that is expensive and hard to obtain. I kind of take a much more fatalistic approach to biological weapons than I do nuclear weapons.

B: I think we are ignoring the potential devastating impact EMP would have on our country, regardless of who launches it. In my opinion, EMP gives an attacker the most efficient damaging results per warhead, and DPRK is the newest nuclear power who needs the most bang for their buck. Couple that with their two "earth observation satellites" sitting in a polar orbit, and I think it's a higher risk than most people believe.

C: I am not worried about Indianapolis being hit by a DPRK nuclear missile, even if we are in range. What I *am* concerned about is nuclear escalation that brings Russia and/or China into play against the US, at which point we live too close to too many secondary and tertiary targets to risk remaining in the city.
It is hard for me to imagine a circumstance in which Russia would risk nuclear war over North Korea. China? Maybe on a 1 in 100 chance but Russia? I can't see it. That said given the relatively low risk of the U.S. and China going to war in the short term (even if things with NK heat up) the only thing you really have to worry about is that EMP (once again ignoring biological because fuck its hell to think about).
I agree with all that. My nuclear EAP is designed on a worst-case major exchange with Russia for two reasons:
1: They've always been the "bad guy" in common American culture
2: They have the most nuclear weapons to deploy against the US

It is a lot easier to adjust my EAP downwards for a less severe event than it is to adjust it upwards for something that is worse than planned. I know full well that Russia getting involved over DPRK is not likely. I also know full well that Indianapolis will probably not get hit as badly as my map shows. However, if we are prepared for what is shown on the map, then we are prepared for anything smaller in scale.
"It's in your nature to destroy yourselves." - Terminator 2: Judgment Day

Bingo

Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:32 pm

DEFCON 5 Normal peacetime level. No nuclear threats exist against the United States.
• No deviation from normal daily activities.
[[ in my mind, most of the heavy lifting of preparedness happens during times of ‘relative peacetime’ we refer to as DEFCON 5. Systems which would provide your family to live with some degree of normalcy, must be put in place now... folks who monitor this site would be wise to think thru survival priorities starting with the rule of 3’s. At higher DEFCON levels or when the general public is alarmed/panicked, supplies and equipment are stripped from the shelves of stores, and prices skyrocket due to price gouging and exaggeration of supply and demand. . Families should sit down and discuss the following three points ;
1) considering the services you use daily, phone, electricity, water, shelter heating, food and AC... which of these services makes life worthwhile. (If discussing with adult children, what can’t you LIVE without !
2) if you were NOT at home (work, school, Gym, etc) and conditions around you became unsafe, what would you do?
3) if you were at HOME and conditions became unsafe making it necessary to leave, what would you do.

Hospitals are required to hold two disaster drills each year. One large scale drill and one table top exercise. Families wishing to be prepared might also consider doing this. At a yearly tabletop disaster drill Is a great time to discuss Emergency Action Plans (EAPs)
DEFCON 4,3,2,1 all depend on what you planned and implemented during DEFCON 5]]

respectfully submitted.

Paul

Sun May 05, 2019 10:10 am

Hi, This is incredibly helpful. I am also British with no real guns. However we have three 150lb plus crossbows, two compound bows, four 50-80lb pistol crossbows, two air rifles which have good range for small game and two air pistol which will at least damage if needed. There us what you can use over what you wish. Thanks for a great article.

RiffRaff
DEFCON Data Analyst
DEFCON Data Analyst

Sun May 05, 2019 12:53 pm

Paul wrote:
Hi, This is incredibly helpful. I am also British with no real guns. However we have three 150lb plus crossbows, two compound bows, four 50-80lb pistol crossbows, two air rifles which have good range for small game and two air pistol which will at least damage if needed. There us what you can use over what you wish. Thanks for a great article.
Glad you found it useful! I have a .22 air rifle, complete with scope and laser. Do not underestimate the fear that putting that laser on an opponent's sternum will generate. Remember, *they* don't know what kind of rifle you're pointing at them.

One thing you want to consider for air rifles is the type of ammunition. You would be surprised at the variety of ammo for my air rifle. This is what I keep it loaded with:
https://www.amazon.com/Predator-Polymag ... B00BKZMHZ0

When shooting a 2-liter bottle filled with water, these little babies will fully penetrate and exit the other side every time. Devastating to anything the size of a squirrel or rabbit. And if I ever have to shoot a human being with it, I'll aim below center mass for the abdominal area. No bones to interfere with penetration, and it is one of the most painful areas to get shot. They'll know they've been hit and that will make them stop and think.

Do you have any bladed weapons? Reason I ask is because all the weapons you listed are no good for close-quarters hand-to-hand combat. I have several multi-purpose survival knives, but I carry this with me daily for self-defense purposes:
https://www.amazon.com/Fox-479-Emerson- ... ods&sr=1-3

That knife requires some professional training to use properly, but I assure you it is lethal, despite it's size.

Thanks for your input. Always good to hear from our neighbors across the pond!

Yingyang
Regular contributor

Sun May 05, 2019 5:10 pm

RiffRaff wrote:
Paul wrote:
Glad you found it useful! I have a .22 air rifle, complete with scope and laser. Do not underestimate the fear that putting that laser on an opponent's sternum will generate. Remember, *they* don't know what kind of rifle you're pointing at them.

One thing you want to consider for air rifles is the type of ammunition. You would be surprised at the variety of ammo for my air rifle. This is what I keep it loaded with:

When shooting a 2-liter bottle filled with water, these little babies will fully penetrate and exit the other side every time. Devastating to anything the size of a squirrel or rabbit. And if I ever have to shoot a human being with it, I'll aim below center mass for the abdominal area. No bones to interfere with penetration, and it is one of the most painful areas to get shot. They'll know they've been hit and that will make them stop and think.

Do you have any bladed weapons? Reason I ask is because all the weapons you listed are no good for close-quarters hand-to-hand combat. I have several multi-purpose survival knives, but I carry this with me daily for self-defense purposes:

That knife requires some professional training to use properly, but I assure you it is lethal, despite it's size.

I'm an Aussie have three bows long, recurve being my favourite and a small compound. Three hunting knives, one bowie knife three small throwing knives and one large. A good tomahawk and several multi tools including two Swiss army knives. And gillie suit. Love your edc and totally agree a small blade can be most affective and nasty surprise. My edc consist of a small and medium sized lock blades. Even the small one can easily reach main arterial veins. No need to be crocodile dundee lol😉 and given the opportunity a nick above the ankle can be rather effective.

RiffRaff
DEFCON Data Analyst
DEFCON Data Analyst

Sun May 05, 2019 8:24 pm

Yingyang wrote:
RiffRaff wrote:
Paul wrote:

I'm an Aussie have three bows long, recurve being my favourite and a small compound. Three hunting knives, one bowie knife three small throwing knives and one large. A good tomahawk and several multi tools including two Swiss army knives. And gillie suit. Love your edc and totally agree a small blade can be most affective and nasty surprise. My edc consist of a small and medium sized lock blades. Even the small one can easily reach main arterial veins. No need to be crocodile dundee lol😉 and given the opportunity a nick above the ankle can be rather effective.
My plan if I'm ever confronted by some idiot with a knife, regardless of size, I'm going to use the old "That's not a knife; THIS is a knife." as I pull my karambit and it auto-deploys. I've always wanted to use that line in a contextually appropriate situation. :lol:

Obreid
Regular contributor

Fri May 17, 2019 8:35 am

Don’t forget a good machete, the longer reach is intimidating and their useage is more straight forward than a hawk. Hawks need to strike targeted areas correctly to be effective.
RiffRaff wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 8:24 pm
Yingyang wrote:
RiffRaff wrote:

My plan if I'm ever confronted by some idiot with a knife, regardless of size, I'm going to use the old "That's not a knife; THIS is a knife." as I pull my karambit and it auto-deploys. I've always wanted to use that line in a contextually appropriate situation. :lol: