Radioactive material stolen from vehicle in Mexico City

Address radiological activity of all types
DEFCONWarningSystem
Director
Director
Posts: 6030
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:26 pm
Contact:

Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:46 pm

Mexican authorities say they are searching for radioactive material that was stolen from a vehicle in a southwestern borough of the capital.

A joint statement from Mexico City and federal agencies says the container was taken from a vehicle belonging to a local radiography supplier in the Alvaro Obregon district on Friday.

It contains Iridium-192, a radioactive isotope used in construction and manufacturing. The statement late Sunday said the material can be dangerous if extracted and not handled properly. Anyone who comes in contact for a prolonged period risks permanent injury.

Authorities warned people not to go near the container and establish a safety perimeter of at least 100 feet (30 meters) if it is found.
https://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/news/a ... d=12086113

User avatar
KimPossible
Regular contributor
Posts: 1286
Joined: Sat Jul 01, 2017 5:52 pm

Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:51 pm

What city you think the terror guys going to attack with this dirty matrial, can't see why someome would steal it other then hop it over the border and make it into a dirty bomb to target a major city for terror. The flying fact it has not happen yet boggls my mind.

Would go onto say that citzens in major cities should hold emergency practice drills for major terror acts like radio, bio, or chem agents relased in a major city.

Would even go futher and have the city have gaint fog or smoke machines to simulate bad or toxic air to show people how fast and easy it is for toxic air to seep into cars and buildings.
There is a war on woman! #VoteThemOut

RiffRaff
DEFCON Data Analyst
DEFCON Data Analyst
Posts: 2212
Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:09 pm
Location: Indianapolis, Indiana, US
Contact:

Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:43 am

KimPossible wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:51 pm
What city you think the terror guys going to attack with this dirty matrial, can't see why someome would steal it other then hop it over the border and make it into a dirty bomb to target a major city for terror. The flying fact it has not happen yet boggls my mind.

Would go onto say that citzens in major cities should hold emergency practice drills for major terror acts like radio, bio, or chem agents relased in a major city.

Would even go futher and have the city have gaint fog or smoke machines to simulate bad or toxic air to show people how fast and easy it is for toxic air to seep into cars and buildings.
A radiological bomb - or "dirty bomb" as it is inaccurately called by the media - is primarily a psychological weapon. It would be very effective at its primary purpose, which is to install fear and terror into a population. However, as a method of producing mass casualties, it is an extremely poor choice for a weapon. More people would be injured or killed by the conventional explosive than by exposure to radiation.

Emergency responders do drill for radiological and chemical scenarios, but civilians are rarely involved except to play victims in the drill. There is little point to it. Fog or smoke machines would not be that effective in training because the radiological particles will not spread anywhere near as far as smoke or fog will. The particles are much heavier than either smoke or fog. As for biological attacks, we do not drill for those. That would be primarily a military response, and the only civilian defense is to isolate your house from the outside world as best as possible.

As for target cities, New York and Washington DC would be the two obvious targets, but in reality, any of the top two dozen largest American cities would be equally effective.
"It's in your nature to destroy yourselves." - Terminator 2: Judgment Day

Diedrich
.
Posts: 164
Joined: Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:02 am

Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:30 am

RiffRaff wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:43 am
KimPossible wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:51 pm
What city you think the terror guys going to attack with this dirty matrial, can't see why someome would steal it other then hop it over the border and make it into a dirty bomb to target a major city for terror. The flying fact it has not happen yet boggls my mind.

Would go onto say that citzens in major cities should hold emergency practice drills for major terror acts like radio, bio, or chem agents relased in a major city.

Would even go futher and have the city have gaint fog or smoke machines to simulate bad or toxic air to show people how fast and easy it is for toxic air to seep into cars and buildings.
A radiological bomb - or "dirty bomb" as it is inaccurately called by the media - is primarily a psychological weapon. It would be very effective at its primary purpose, which is to install fear and terror into a population. However, as a method of producing mass casualties, it is an extremely poor choice for a weapon. More people would be injured or killed by the conventional explosive than by exposure to radiation.

Emergency responders do drill for radiological and chemical scenarios, but civilians are rarely involved except to play victims in the drill. There is little point to it. Fog or smoke machines would not be that effective in training because the radiological particles will not spread anywhere near as far as smoke or fog will. The particles are much heavier than either smoke or fog. As for biological attacks, we do not drill for those. That would be primarily a military response, and the only civilian defense is to isolate your house from the outside world as best as possible.

As for target cities, New York and Washington DC would be the two obvious targets, but in reality, any of the top two dozen largest American cities would be equally effective.
Yes, we do drill for radiological/chemical/biological hazards including due to acts of terrorism. Dealing with an explosive designed to spread radioactive materials is probably among the simplest procedures removing mass panic preventing people from doing basic things like changing their clothes and hosing down with cold water.

User avatar
KimPossible
Regular contributor
Posts: 1286
Joined: Sat Jul 01, 2017 5:52 pm

Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:39 pm

Yes all these things are great the government douse, but dousn't tell the people how to act or deal with a crisis like so. Its great the government knows what to do, I am saying people in major cities need to be more prepped just in the knowledge factor alone. Kinda blows my mind that New York doesn't or hasn't handed out flyers or pamphlets on what to do in case of such a WMD/WMT (T for terror) attack to every NYC mail box.

Just knowing the proper knowledge of a crisis can increase anyone chance of living ten fold. Not even talking about buying supplies, just knowing can increase anyone odds drastically.
There is a war on woman! #VoteThemOut

DEFCONWarningSystem
Director
Director
Posts: 6030
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:26 pm
Contact:

Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:46 pm

KimPossible wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:39 pm
Kinda blows my mind that New York doesn't or hasn't handed out flyers or pamphlets on what to do in case of such a WMD/WMT (T for terror) attack to every NYC mail box.
I can tell you exactly where those pamphlets would end up: on the street or in trash cans.

People just don't take preparedness seriously until the crisis is already on them.

RiffRaff
DEFCON Data Analyst
DEFCON Data Analyst
Posts: 2212
Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:09 pm
Location: Indianapolis, Indiana, US
Contact:

Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:54 pm

DEFCONWarningSystem wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:46 pm
KimPossible wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:39 pm
Kinda blows my mind that New York doesn't or hasn't handed out flyers or pamphlets on what to do in case of such a WMD/WMT (T for terror) attack to every NYC mail box.
I can tell you exactly where those pamphlets would end up: on the street or in trash cans.

People just don't take preparedness seriously until the crisis is already on them.
This, in spades.

My guess is if you were to search the various federal and state emergency management websites, you would find all of this information available for download to the public.
"It's in your nature to destroy yourselves." - Terminator 2: Judgment Day

PeacePlease
.
Posts: 278
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2016 3:31 pm
Location: Texas

Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:42 am

I have been here for a while and remember during previous years radioactive material has been stolen in Mexico.
"To be prepared for war is one of the most effective means of preserving peace"
-George Washington

Post Reply