Welcome to our new members!

Defense related and not covered in the other categories? Then it goes here.
grumpydaysleeper

Sat Mar 19, 2016 6:37 pm

Thank You for the warm welcome. I look forward to meeting everyone.
~grumpydaysleeper~ a.k.a. Linda

Emphatic_apparatek
Regular contributor

Fri Mar 25, 2016 4:58 pm

It's funny because at almost this exact same time last year, a bunch of people joined, including myself, when we thought things were popping off in the arctic. Yall remember that couple of weeks?

Emphatic_apparatek
Regular contributor

Fri Mar 25, 2016 4:59 pm

Actually, when I look at the date I joined, and the date you made this thread, they're both March 18th. hahaha so it was exactly a year to the day.

bpmprocolo

Wed Sep 21, 2016 7:34 am

Second post, but probably just as important as my first... So, here's a quick rundown of what's got me coming here.
*First ran across DWS in 4/2013. I immediately considered the site to be an important asset in my ongoing preparedness at the time.

*Actively monitored DWS 1-3x a day from 8/2014 'till 3/15/16. I was here for the 'northern incident' in 3/15. Then increased personal alert postures between 3/13/15 and 5/1/15, followed again by same between 6/15/16 and 7/25/16.

*I'm located *very* near Peterson AFB in Colorado Springs, CO, making the DWS more than merely a source of breaking/relevant/heads-up information, but a strategic asset in my emergency preparedness info sources mix.
As of this writing, COS is a prime nuclear/conventional weapons target that's as important, or perhaps more so, than Washington, DC. The 'direct' distance between some buildings on the base, and my location are a little over a mile, so I'm pretty close in.

*Owing to my location, as a civilian, I can reliably gauge alert postures 'on the ground' at nearby installations. Our local media sources lean somewhat heavily on new/ongoing military activities, since there are 5 installations in/around the city. They consist of Peterson AFB, Schriever AFB, the USAFA, Ft. Carson, and NORAD/CMAFS. I'm pretty much guaranteed to be extra-crispy in a major SHTF, to be sure.

In (unlikely) times of emergency, PAFB's sirens are clearly heard at my location. Hearing them sound in 'attack' could well give the rest of the members here the heads up they need to button-up, get down, and hold on, should the "Shh" ever HTF.

TonyG

Wed Sep 21, 2016 2:32 pm

I want to thank everybody for the warm welcomes and greetings. I am mostly here to learn from all of you who understand geopolitics, military strategies and signals much better than me. Therefore my opinions would be coming from a naïve perspective and I won't be able, unfortunately, to add much intelligence to any of the threads. This is especially true when it comes to understanding Skyking and EAM's. So my posts will be limited to questions in which the answers will improve my knowledge. I thank everybody in advance for sharing their time to answer my questions. Hopefully they will be intelligent questions and I will not embarrass myself. In the meantime keep the posts coming. This site has become almost an obsession with me.

Tony

hrng
Power poster 1
Power poster 1

Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:15 pm

TonyG wrote:I want to thank everybody for the warm welcomes and greetings. I am mostly here to learn from all of you who understand geopolitics, military strategies and signals much better than me. Therefore my opinions would be coming from a naïve perspective and I won't be able, unfortunately, to add much intelligence to any of the threads. This is especially true when it comes to understanding Skyking and EAM's. So my posts will be limited to questions in which the answers will improve my knowledge. I thank everybody in advance for sharing their time to answer my questions. Hopefully they will be intelligent questions and I will not embarrass myself. In the meantime keep the posts coming. This site has become almost an obsession with me.

Tony
There's no stupid questions mate ;) Welcome!

Drumboy44
DWS Staff
DWS Staff

Fri Sep 23, 2016 3:36 am

bpmprocolo wrote:Second post, but probably just as important as my first... So, here's a quick rundown of what's got me coming here.
*First ran across DWS in 4/2013. I immediately considered the site to be an important asset in my ongoing preparedness at the time.

*Actively monitored DWS 1-3x a day from 8/2014 'till 3/15/16. I was here for the 'northern incident' in 3/15. Then increased personal alert postures between 3/13/15 and 5/1/15, followed again by same between 6/15/16 and 7/25/16.

*I'm located *very* near Peterson AFB in Colorado Springs, CO, making the DWS more than merely a source of breaking/relevant/heads-up information, but a strategic asset in my emergency preparedness info sources mix.
As of this writing, COS is a prime nuclear/conventional weapons target that's as important, or perhaps more so, than Washington, DC. The 'direct' distance between some buildings on the base, and my location are a little over a mile, so I'm pretty close in.

*Owing to my location, as a civilian, I can reliably gauge alert postures 'on the ground' at nearby installations. Our local media sources lean somewhat heavily on new/ongoing military activities, since there are 5 installations in/around the city. They consist of Peterson AFB, Schriever AFB, the USAFA, Ft. Carson, and NORAD/CMAFS. I'm pretty much guaranteed to be extra-crispy in a major SHTF, to be sure.

In (unlikely) times of emergency, PAFB's sirens are clearly heard at my location. Hearing them sound in 'attack' could well give the rest of the members here the heads up they need to button-up, get down, and hold on, should the "Shh" ever HTF.
Welcome. What took you so long to join?
" man fears time, but time fears the pyramids "

bpmprocolo

Fri Sep 23, 2016 4:46 am

I'm a (self-admitted) habitual lurker... Glad to have joined, all the same.

basecamp2000

Mon Oct 10, 2016 8:34 pm

I just got chased out of one thread, - don't know where the best place is to give good advice around here.
Last edited by basecamp2000 on Mon Oct 10, 2016 9:04 pm, edited 4 times in total.

DirtyDevil69
Power poster 1
Power poster 1

Mon Oct 10, 2016 8:50 pm

hrng wrote:
TonyG wrote:I want to thank everybody for the warm welcomes and greetings. I am mostly here to learn from all of you who understand geopolitics, military strategies and signals much better than me. Therefore my opinions would be coming from a naïve perspective and I won't be able, unfortunately, to add much intelligence to any of the threads. This is especially true when it comes to understanding Skyking and EAM's. So my posts will be limited to questions in which the answers will improve my knowledge. I thank everybody in advance for sharing their time to answer my questions. Hopefully they will be intelligent questions and I will not embarrass myself. In the meantime keep the posts coming. This site has become almost an obsession with me.

Tony
There's no stupid questions mate ;) Welcome!
Well their are, but they usually come from me. :lol:
The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his.
~ General George S. Patton- WW2
Semper Fidelis (Always Faithful)
~ U.S. Marines