Do you trust the media to properly inform you of an impending nuclear crisis?

Defense related and not covered in the other categories? Then it goes here.

Do you trust the media to properly inform you of an impending nuclear crisis?

You may select 1 option

View results
RichardWad

Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:00 am

Yeah, no. All media lies. There is so much news they are blatantly ignoring. It was bad before, now it is another level. Cut cable cord 10 years ago and am so glad I did.

What I would really like is for our government to give us assurances the Emergency Alert system will be activated if an attack is imminent.

DEFCONWarningSystem
Director
Director

Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:46 am

RichardWad wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:00 am
What I would really like is for our government to give us assurances the Emergency Alert system will be activated if an attack is imminent.
That's actually an interesting question.

There is some theory in the US that, pending a nuclear crisis, an order to evacuate cities would have signaled to Russia that the US is preparing for nuclear war, so the US may not actually give the order and thus attempt to not escalate the situation further.

Could the same be said about the EAS? Would warning the public about nuclear war inflame the situation further to a paranoid enemy?

RichardWad

Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:02 am

We had a test in Hawaii last year on this. They called it a mistake. Yet we all know, there is no way it was.
The public in HI apparently didn't panic. Which is odd, because I sure as hell would have. I just don't get the sense people at large understand what nuclear attack imminent means. 50 years ago, everyone knew what it meant and what to do.

The reason I pose the question is I feel like we (public) should have a backup system in place, because we have never been able to trust our government.

C Herrington

Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:26 pm

I Think that the UK Gov for sure would not tell the public at large, due to the fact that with the new Russian Hyper Ballistic Missile it can hit the UK in 15-20MINS. Leaving little to no time to respond to these type of threats. even if we could track the incoming missiles, they would be coming so fast that it would be very hard to intercept and destroy them.

The media lie's and are constantly putting brain dead idiots on the screen to keep the sheep occupied with trivial news or super-stars and avoid telling the public about what is actually going on in the world. they don't mention the Genocide in Indonesia, nor what the Chinese are up to. they don't mention much about the Crisis in Kashmir Provence.they don't mention the fact the Israel has Occupied much of Palestine inducing Jerusalem

so no i don't trust the media one bit, the only way to stay informed is with proper research that has multiple outlets to verify its authenticity.
so like others have said it would be nice to rely on genuine information that i can make a good informed choice on to take steps to secure me and my family's safety

willrod1989

Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:57 pm

RichardWad wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:02 am
We had a test in Hawaii last year on this. They called it a mistake. Yet we all know, there is no way it was.
The public in HI apparently didn't panic. Which is odd, because I sure as hell would have. I just don't get the sense people at large understand what nuclear attack imminent means. 50 years ago, everyone knew what it meant and what to do.

The reason I pose the question is I feel like we (public) should have a backup system in place, because we have never been able to trust our government.
Interestingly put. I have actually talked to quite a few people about a theory that a missile was actually inbound, but destroyed. And rather than further escalate the incident, the government claims it was a "false alarm". Does anyone else feel this might be the case?

DEFCONWarningSystem
Director
Director

Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:38 pm

willrod1989 wrote:
Interestingly put. I have actually talked to quite a few people about a theory that a missile was actually inbound, but destroyed. And rather than further escalate the incident, the government claims it was a "false alarm". Does anyone else feel this might be the case?
No. There is no evidence of an incoming missile. It really was just a screw up.

willrod1989

Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:59 pm

DEFCONWarningSystem wrote:
willrod1989 wrote:
Damn, hard to determine which is actually scarier then :lol:

rudemarine
Regular contributor

Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:46 pm

The first thing that we will know about it will be the power going out. Power goes out, run outside and look up because you might see the heat trails of warheads coming in or watch mushroom clouds from the nearest base or large city.

If the first wave is a cruise missile attack and it probably will be then bend over and kiss our nation goodbye because seeing mushroom clouds are the only way we will likely find out if its Russia or China and pray your lucky enough to be caught in the main blast or life is gonna suck.

If North Korea pops a few our way then yes we would likely get news of it but he isn't that stupid. We would turn that nation and China into a glass desert. Iran is that stupid but they cant hit us with crap.

rudemarine
Regular contributor

Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:55 pm

willrod1989 wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:59 pm
DEFCONWarningSystem wrote:
willrod1989 wrote:
Damn, hard to determine which is actually scarier then :lol:
How can you be certain? Nk has a lot of subs and could have attacked Hawaii, then self destructed the missile as a warning to Trump. I would not put it past NK or China. Perhaps this is why both were so happy to meet and cool things down.

In any US attack on NK, it will now require nukes to be used within 5 miles of the DMV to spare the SK capital and nobody wants the South Korean people to suffer the effects of the fallout or blast.

ParanoidAndroid

Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:05 am

Personally I believe that you would definitely know should the situation arise. However the severity of the attack would be a totally different story.