ELINT Twitter banned (Split from Iran/US Tensions #6/9/19)

Defense related and not covered in the other categories? Then it goes here.
DEFCONWarningSystem
Director
Director

Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:42 am

I don't know what ELINT tweeted that got them banned. I do follow them, but not religiously, so their tweets can easily slip by me.

Wonder if someone from ELINT would like to stop in and give us the lowdown.

I've found them pretty reliable.

DEFCONWarningSystem
Director
Director

Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:45 am

Looks like Jerusalem Post is covering it.
A group of popular Twitter accounts that tweet about open-source intelligence (OSINT) and generally try to highlight developing and breaking news stories were suspended on Saturday night for unspecified reasons. They join a growing list of account suspensions – sometimes for political reasons, but also for more arbitrary reasons that have alarmed users of the popular social media platform.

Users feared that censorship or targeted complaints by a foreign government had resulted in the suspension. Steve Lookneer, a News Anchor at Agenda Free TV pointed out that an account called Beep Delete was suspended on Saturday night. An account named Intel Doge (@Inteldoge) wrote “welcome to Twitter, report on things that people don’t like, get mass reported, get banned.”

The concern began when an account named Elint News (@ELINTNews) was suspended. (Emphasis added)
https://www.jpost.com/International/Con ... nts-592663

bob

Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:59 am

DEFCONWarningSystem wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:45 am
Looks like Jerusalem Post is covering it.
A group of popular Twitter accounts that tweet about open-source intelligence (OSINT) and generally try to highlight developing and breaking news stories were suspended on Saturday night for unspecified reasons. They join a growing list of account suspensions – sometimes for political reasons, but also for more arbitrary reasons that have alarmed users of the popular social media platform.

Users feared that censorship or targeted complaints by a foreign government had resulted in the suspension. Steve Lookneer, a News Anchor at Agenda Free TV pointed out that an account called Beep Delete was suspended on Saturday night. An account named Intel Doge (@Inteldoge) wrote “welcome to Twitter, report on things that people don’t like, get mass reported, get banned.”

The concern began when an account named Elint News (@ELINTNews) was suspended. (Emphasis added)
https://www.jpost.com/International/Con ... nts-592663
add intelcrab to the growing list

Roostah

Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:17 pm

This is big, OSINT under attack. Accounts suspended:

@intelcrab

@elintnews

@beepdelete

Please add your support to the voices who have been silenced.

Mr. T

Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:18 pm

This is outragerous!
Now they have turned out the lights for intelcrab...How far will this go? Twitter is being manipulated and controlled by outside forces (most likely from India) and they gave up the freedom of speech.

Clearly this is something big, we might see other big OSINT accounts being suspended within the next 24 to 48 hours. We must do something against this, bring this forward to the mainstream media.

DEFCONWarningSystem
Director
Director

Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:50 pm

IntelCrab was suspended? Odd, I did follow him fairly regularly and he didn't seem to post anything worthy of suspension.

DEFCONWarningSystem
Director
Director

Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:56 pm

Have any verified Twitter accounts been suspended? Or is it just unverified accounts?

DEFCONWarningSystem
Director
Director

Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:11 pm

So after researching this for a bit, it looks like this is all tied to some complaint by the Indian government. These accounts were suspended either because they were reporting on specific military movement or they were posting fake news. Your guess is as good as mine. But if it is the latter reason, look for some more accounts to be suspended.

Mr. T

Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:28 pm

Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:11 pm
So after researching this for a bit, it looks like this is all tied to some complaint by the Indian government. These accounts were suspended either because they were reporting on specific military movement or they were posting fake news. Your guess is as good as mine. But if it is the latter reason, look for some more accounts to be suspended.
Yeah I've heard that too and this is total garbage if not a barefaced lie. I've been tracking these OSINT guys for some years now and they have never intentionally reported fake news or spreaded propaganda. Sure, there are these accounts our there who do spread fake news and propaganda but guys like intelcrab are absolutely serious when it comes of reporting something and I can guarantee you these guys are not pakistani agents as claimed. They always checked their sources, stayed calm and reported precisively. To me it looks like India is expanding its conflict with Pakistan on the back of the OSINT community after their embarrasing air strike on a mountain forrest. India apparently got injured in its pride after this wide-spread open reporting on that issue and now they wan't to retaliate. They wan't to make the OSINT community mouthdeath and Twitter is supporting them.

Twitter has become a puppet of a government who obviously doesn't give a shit about freedom of speech and the users technically have to obey "Indian law" now when it comes to reporting of issues concerning India. This opens the possibility for other, much worser regimes to act and abuse twitter in order to shut down critics (like journalists and other OSINT guys). Very concerning...In fact, Twitter is acting against fundamental laws of other states when it comes to freedom of speech when they block users without a given and comprehensible reason who are citizens of those countries, aren't they?. I hope that this gains political attention. Maybe with additional political pressure against an indian opinion-dictatorship on twitter something may change because it is nothing less at the moment if these are indeed the reasons of the suspension.

Mr. T

Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:34 pm

Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:56 pm
Have any verified Twitter accounts been suspended? Or is it just unverified accounts?
Not yet as far as I know but its gaining more attention on a wider range now.
https://twitter.com/JulianRoepcke/statu ... 5173340160