ELINT Twitter banned (Split from Iran/US Tensions #6/9/19)

Defense related and not covered in the other categories? Then it goes here.
DEFCONWarningSystem
Director
Director

Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:54 pm

The problem some of the suspended accounts seem to have had was that they were reporting things that were later shown to be false. (At least, that seems to be part of the Indian complaint.)

That's the trouble with a lot of news these days. They are so quick to report without properly verifying the information. They want to "Be The First To Report". They may do some cursory investigation, but end up relying on verification from suspicious accounts themselves. So fake information gets verified by a fake source.

It's a rough go.

And don't get me started on some accounts who tweet spam just to get followers.

I can say that I don't think we'll fall under Twitter's ban sweep. We don't participate in the activities that caught some of these other accounts. We don't tweet out military asset movements or stuff like that unless it is leading to some confrontation. Minor movements are not important enough.

If anyone can provide more information as to why these accounts were suspended, and if any others are hit, do post it here.

DEFCONWarningSystem
Director
Director

Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:58 pm

So far it appears we have not been shadow banned, which is happening to some people.

Silent
Power poster 1
Power poster 1

Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:30 am

Intel Crab is back!

CreepyMonkey

Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:42 am

I rely very heavily on OSINT Twitter accounts for leads and news along with many other news sources for all my intel, so, yes, this is alarming and concerning, though I feel in some respects inevitable.

However, and I'm struggling to say this in a way that will not be misconstrued, I often see these folks posting and liking things that I find questionable. I'm not saying "fake news"....just saying that they let their opinion bleed into their news quite often and it makes me question what they report as I am often having to look at it three times to make sure I'm not seeing something that is opinion based or skewed by someones attitude.

Not saying you can't have an opinion or that your opinion won't affect the way you report things....just saying that being overtly opinionated and being a supposedly neutral OSINT news source do not mix well and a more neutral reporting style would lend itself better to being sympathetic when these kinds of things happen.

Frankly, I don't care what a news sources opinion is on the news; I just want to know what the news is and I can judge for myself. If I want opinion based news I can watch that on any MSM source.

Yingyang
Regular contributor

Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:48 pm

I think the main concern is the fact this can happen if the powers that be where ever, can shut down anyone anytime to delay public knowledge of an event possibly before it happens. 🤔🤨😯😓

CreepyMonkey

Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:40 pm

Yingyang wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:48 pm
I think the main concern is the fact this can happen if the powers that be where ever, can shut down anyone anytime to delay public knowledge of an event possibly before it happens. 🤔🤨😯😓
Agreed.

Obreid
Regular contributor

Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:13 am

Any similarities between that assumption and the nature of “news” dsemination in China?

Regulation of news and social media will be the death of a free and honest attempt at news in the modern world.
If regulation comes, in ten year we’ll be back to 3 or 4 news sources reporting “news” almost verbatim of each other. And all will be right with the world again.

Let them run their course, how many “platforms” have gone the way of the Thylacyeane or carrier pigeon. AOL Yahoo, who am I forgetting?

Isn’t it odd they punish fairly honest accounts like those mentioned here. But Richard Spencer or David Duke is left to pontificate.
I can remember at the height of the Syrian war Facebook allowing post for military weapons sales, not AK’s but mounted weapons.
Where were they then. Now they ban a legal seller of “legal” firearms in the US.

Ben D

Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:53 am

ELINT News is back...

https://twitter.com/ELINTNews

Garniv

Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:11 am

Obreid wrote:
Regulation of news and social media will be the death of a free and honest attempt at news in the modern world.
:D You make it sound like there's no regulation right now! But in fact, all large and medium-sized media are controlled and regulated by politicians and business...
"We will rest! We'll hear angels, we'll see all sky in diamonds, we'll see how all earthly evil, all our sufferings drown in the mercy that will fill the whole world, and our life will become quiet, tender, sweet as a caress."

Obreid
Regular contributor

Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:04 am

I mean things like net neutrality or forcing ambiguous rules on everyone like equal time.

Facebook twitter etc aren’t media/publishers but they retain the right to choose what is published on their sites. That makes them publishers and therefore open to civil liability. Currently there are no laws except commission of crime I think that they have to adhere to. They show up to answere congress questions IF they feel it is in their best interest.
They want regulation that’s the thing they want to control the flow of news and info.

If they want to remain a platform and be exempt from civil liability for what’s posted there they can’t pick and choose editing content beyond actual calls for violence or commission of a crime.

It doesn’t matter if social media continues down this path they will self destruct in five years and we’ll all be asking what happened.
More than likely GE, Disney, and Fox will own them and we’ll be back to us four and no more.
There once was a dream , it was just a dream.
Garniv wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:11 am
Obreid wrote:
:D You make it sound like there's no regulation right now! But in fact, all large and medium-sized media are controlled and regulated by politicians and business...