Comcast Blames Widespread Service Outage on Cut Fiber Lines

Defense related and not covered in the other categories? Then it goes here.
ThunderStealer
Regular contributor

Sat Jun 30, 2018 4:04 pm

Cuts to two fiber lines caused a widespread system failure at cable giant Comcast Corp. CMCSA 0.55% on Friday that knocked out cable, internet and phone services around the country.

It was unclear how many customers were affected as the system failure, which appeared contained to Comcast’s network, also disrupted connectivity services such as Netflix Inc. and Okta Inc. as other internet service providers routed internet traffic through Comcast’s network, according to network-monitoring firm ThousandEyes.

Fiber networks, which make up the backbone of the internet, transmit vast amounts of internet traffic, processing everything from online purchases to 911 calls.

Down Detector and Outage.Report, two websites that monitor the running of consumer-technology services, ranked the system failure as extreme and posted maps indicating large numbers of customers affected in the New York, Philadelphia and Washington, D.C., metro areas as well as San Francisco, Chicago and Denver. Reports of outages, according to the websites, spiked early Friday afternoon.

The sabotage teams are at it again. You can't sound the alarm if there's no way to spread information. In conjunction with the subs in the Atlantic, this would appear to be a rehearsal.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/comcast-bl ... 1530308633
"Rules of the day, if the car gets immobilized, start shooting. Nobody gets traded, everybody dies." - Body of Lies

"Sir, rules of engagement."
"We're already engaged" - Tears of the Sun

DEFCONWarningSystem
Director
Director

Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:47 pm

The article you cite is behind a paywall. What was in the article which gave any indication whatsoever that this was a deliberate act by a "sabotage team"?

ThunderStealer
Regular contributor

Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:48 am

DEFCONWarningSystem wrote:
Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:47 pm
The article you cite is behind a paywall. What was in the article which gave any indication whatsoever that this was a deliberate act by a "sabotage team"?
Sorry about the paywall, I was able to access it just fine. As to the sabotage team, they hit 7 areas, not including North Carolina in one night. Events like this aren't random, nor are they the work of "vandals". This has been an issue since 2010, and they seem to follow a pattern. This looks more like a probing mission of 1) how far does the blackout spread and 2) how long will it take to repair the damage? At least that's my perspective. I have other reasons, but I won't discuss them on open forums because of web crawlers, if you want to discuss it on back channels, that's a different story.
"Rules of the day, if the car gets immobilized, start shooting. Nobody gets traded, everybody dies." - Body of Lies

"Sir, rules of engagement."
"We're already engaged" - Tears of the Sun