Trusted & Non-Trusted Information Sources

Defense related and not covered in the other categories? Then it goes here.
RiffRaff
DEFCON Data Analyst
DEFCON Data Analyst

Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:26 am

Starting this thread so sources of information can quickly be evaluated for accuracy based on the trustworthiness of the source. Sources will be listed alphabetically in each category below. Special thanks to Ein_Kreb for undoing the original color coded list and separating the sources into categories.

Please feel free to post additions in comments, along with some supportive evidence for rating, and I will copy and paste them into this list. I will be deleting comments once suggestions or changes have been incorporated into the original post just so the thread stays short, clean, and easy to read. Suggestions on improving this list are welcome.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Trusted Sources
The following sources are considered to be highly accurate and reliable for reporting defense-related stories, breaking news, and world events. They may be quoted as a basis for establishing a story as factual without independent confirmation.

38 North
ABC News
Agence France-Presse (AFP)
Al Jazeera
Associated Press (AP)
Axios
BBC
Bloomberg
CBS News
France24
Defense One
LiveUAMap
NBC News
NPR
New York Times
Politico
Reuters
Steve Herman (Twitter)
Stratfor
Time
Wall Street Journal
Washington Post
Yonhap News Agency

Mostly Trusted Sources
The following sources are considered to be accurate and reliable for reporting defense-related stories, breaking news, and world events. These sources may be quoted as a basis for establishing a story as factual, but story details should be checked for accuracy through a second Mostly Trusted Source or a Trusted Source.

American Conservative
Atlantic
CNN
Daily Beast
Democracy Now
Economist
Examiner
Fiscal Times
Foreign Policy
Fox News
Guardian
InformNapalm
Intercept
Jacobin
Jerusalem Post
Mic
MSNBC
National Review
New Yorker
Reason.com
Slate
Vanity Fair
Vox
Washington Times
Weekly Standard

Mostly Untrusted Sources
The following sources are considered to be inaccurate and unreliable for reporting defense-related stories, breaking news, and world events. These sources should not be quoted as a basis for establishing a story as factual, but might occasionally point to a story that warrants further investigation if it can be independently confirmed through at least two Mostly Trusted Sources or at least one Trusted Source.

AlterNet
BuzzFeed
Daily Kos
Federalist
Huffington Post
International Business Times
Mother Jones
New Republic
New York Post
One America News Network (OAN)
Russia Today (RT)
Second Nexus
Sputnik (Russia)
Tass (Russia)

Untrusted Sources
The following sources are considered to be highly inaccurate and extremely unreliable for reporting defense-related stories, breaking news, and world events. Most stories are clickbait, or are motivated by extreme political ideologies, propaganda and/or conspiracy theories. These sources should never be quoted as a basis for establishing a news story as factual and will rarely, if ever, post a story that warrants further investigation.

Bipartisan Report
Blaze
Breitbart
Conservative Tribune
Daily Caller
Daily Mail
David Wolfe
Forward Progressives
Global Times (China)
GodlikeProductions (GLP)
Hal Turner
InfoWars/Alex Jones
National Enquirer
Natural News
Newsmax
Occupy Democrats
Palmer Report
Patriobotics
RealFarmacy.com
RedState
RepublicStandard.com
WorldTruth.tv
Xinhua (China)

Uncategorized
DWS needs input on the following sources regarding category placement. Please feel free to conduct any research and post results with suggestions as to the most appropriate category based on the descriptions above.

Center For Strategic & International Studies (CSIS)
Defense News
National Defense Industrial Association (NDIA)
Navy Times
North Korea Real Time (Twitter)
Spectator Index
US Naval Institute News (USNI News)
ZeroHedge
[/i]
"It's in your nature to destroy yourselves." - Terminator 2: Judgment Day

expat42451

Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:09 pm

Just a quick note of thanks to RiffRaff for the work. A help to many of us.

Regards and thanks again.

DEFCONWarningSystem
Director
Director

Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:10 pm

I'm not entirely convinced of the neutrality of Al Jazeera. I moved MSNBC and Mother Earth. They are very definitely highly biased. Democracy Now is highly agendized as well, but I have not moved it as of yet. Probably will.

RiffRaff
DEFCON Data Analyst
DEFCON Data Analyst

Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:29 pm

DEFCONWarningSystem wrote:
I'm not entirely convinced of the neutrality of Al Jazeera. I moved MSNBC and Mother Earth. They are very definitely highly biased. Democracy Now is highly agendized as well, but I have not moved it as of yet. Probably will.
I kept Al Jazeera where it is because they are generally pretty accurate on breaking news events. Any bias they might show doesn't come through their breaking news stories or Tweets. Same for MSNBC. I would put them in the "Mostly Accurate" category as a compromise. The other two you're probably right about.

DEFCONWarningSystem
Director
Director

Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:54 am

RiffRaff wrote:
I kept Al Jazeera where it is because they are generally pretty accurate on breaking news events. Any bias they might show doesn't come through their breaking news stories or Tweets. Same for MSNBC. I would put them in the "Mostly Accurate" category as a compromise. The other two you're probably right about.
The Fox News should be moved to Mostly Accurate then, since their news is pretty much on the money. It's their commentary that is way right field.

Drudge is a news aggregate. They don't report news at all.

RiffRaff
DEFCON Data Analyst
DEFCON Data Analyst

Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:00 am

Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:54 am
RiffRaff wrote:
The Fox News should be moved to Mostly Accurate then, since their news is pretty much on the money. It's their commentary that is way right field.

Drudge is a news aggregate. They don't report news at all.
This is going to be harder than I thought. So do we focus on news reporting only for these categories and leave biased commentary out of the equation?

DEFCONWarningSystem
Director
Director

Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:51 am

RiffRaff wrote:
This is going to be harder than I thought. So do we focus on news reporting only for these categories and leave biased commentary out of the equation?
Good question. If we leave biased commentary out, we'd have to move NBC, ABC, and NPR among others to untrustworthy.

How about we only go for news reporting? Leave commentary out of it. And remove aggregate sites.

Ein_Kreb

Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:13 am

RiffRaff wrote:
Good question. If we leave biased commentary out, we'd have to move NBC, ABC, and NPR among others to untrustworthy.

How about we only go for news reporting? Leave commentary out of it. And remove aggregate sites.
Another option would be to sort them by the quality of their news reporting, and add some text mentioning their commentary.
RiffRaff wrote:

Mostly Trusted Source - Mostly accurate and/or can display bias on some issues

Fox News (Commentary is highly biased)

Mostly Untrusted Source - Highly biased on most issues, but occasionally accurate

ABC (Commentary is trustworthy)
NBC (Commentary is trustworthy)
NPR (Commentary is trustworthy)
Also, for the love of all that is good, as a web developer I implore you guys to use the Trusted, Mostly Trusted, Mostly Untrusted, and Untrusted headers in a way similar to what I have here. You can see more information at a glance.

If you give me the information I can edit and format it tomorrow.

RiffRaff
DEFCON Data Analyst
DEFCON Data Analyst

Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:18 am

RiffRaff wrote:

I'm good with that, or even Ein_Kreb's suggestion below:
Ein_Kreb wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:13 am
Another option would be to sort them by the quality of their news reporting, and add some text mentioning their commentary.
RiffRaff wrote:

Mostly Trusted Source - Mostly accurate and/or can display bias on some issues

Fox News (Commentary is highly biased)

Mostly Untrusted Source - Highly biased on most issues, but occasionally accurate

ABC (Commentary is trustworthy)
NBC (Commentary is trustworthy)
NPR (Commentary is trustworthy)
Also, for the love of all that is good, as a web developer I implore you guys to use the Trusted, Mostly Trusted, Mostly Untrusted, and Untrusted headers in a way similar to what I have here. You can see more information at a glance.

If you give me the information I can edit and format it tomorrow.
:lol: You must shrivel inside when you see bad web design the way I do when I know people are using "Colts18" as a password for every online account they have. :lol:

RiffRaff
DEFCON Data Analyst
DEFCON Data Analyst

Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:19 am

If we leave biased commentary out, we'd have to move NBC, ABC, and NPR among others to untrustworthy.
Huh? Did I read that right?