Hong Kong

Reports on political activity with strategic consequences.
RedArrow

Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:03 pm

Does anyone have intel on the situation in Hong Kong? Obviously, the peaceful protests have turned less peaceful, and to my limited mind, it is unclear whether this will play into the hands of the PRC.

Is the PRC moving any military assets in the direction of Hong Kong or are they leaving the civil unrest to the local police?

Can we expect an escalation from the state actor(s) involved?

RedArrow

Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:46 pm

NB: I am asking because I am going to Hong Kong in 2 weeks time, and I like to avoid trouble.

DEFCONWarningSystem
Director
Director

Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:08 am

I haven't heard of China moving in, though I haven't been following it too closely.

No chance of altering your plans for things to calm down a bit before going?

willrod1989

Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:35 pm

DEFCONWarningSystem wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:08 am
I haven't heard of China moving in, though I haven't been following it too closely.

No chance of altering your plans for things to calm down a bit before going?
I definitely agree with this. Civil unrest can be just as dangerous, if not more dangerous, than direct military action. Keep a close eye on things, and if you do end up going, make sure you register with your embassy and maintain constant vigilence.

Shmooglavoue

Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:23 am

There's a youtube channel I watch, called 'China Uncensored' that looks a lot at the political and internal goings-on concerning China. They have been covering the Hong Kong protest pretty significantly, and have been recently filming there.

Note however that this channel is very critical of China and is thus likely quite biased.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgFP46 ... o1TgXn-04Q

RedArrow

Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:33 pm

Thank you guys. I appreciate all the advice. I can delay but there is a business cost. I am flying out for work, and the Hong Kong partners won't be thrilled.

To my mind, the protesters are no danger, because I am not the object of their anger and I can avoid the area around the parliament.

However, if the Chinese government loses its nerve, that is a different story. A localised standoff could get much worse if there are tanks rolling.

I am watching the youtube videos and I am weighing my options.