US pulling out of Syria

Reports on political activity with strategic consequences.
krzepice1976
DWS Staff
DWS Staff

Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:20 pm

U.S. President Donald Trump said on Wednesday in reply to a question on how the U.S. withdrawal from Syria will impact Israel that "we give Israel $4.5 billion" security every year, and so "Israel will be very good."

Speaking to reporters on the way back from a trip to American troops stationed in Iraq, Trump said: "I spoke with Bibi," he saidm, referring to Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu. "I told Bibi, you know we give Israel $4.5 billion a year. And they are doing very well at defending themselves."

He added, "I’m the one that moved the embassy to Jerusalem. I was the one who was willing to do that. So that’s the way it is – we are going to take great care of Israel. Israel is going to be good. We give Israel 4.5 billion a year. And we give frankly a lot more than that if you look at the books. They’ve been doing a good job

https://www.haaretz.com/amp/us-news/.pr ... ssion=true

DEFCONWarningSystem
Director
Director

Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:42 am

Someone is reporting that the US is going to start pulling out of Afghanistan as well. Looking for confirmation beyond speculation.

krzepice1976
DWS Staff
DWS Staff

Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:17 pm

DEFCONWarningSystem wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:42 am
Someone is reporting that the US is going to start pulling out of Afghanistan as well. Looking for confirmation beyond speculation.
Looks like pulling out from Syria is not so fast-probably military try go get some time which is reqired for securing Kurds(diplomacy )and preparation new bases.
I will be not suprisei f US will pullout from Syria under conidtions which were discoused during Trump Putin meeting few months ago.

DEFCONWarningSystem
Director
Director

Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:13 pm

The US being in Syria is a major irritant to Russia. There is no real strategic value for the US to be there. They have no real influence.

Ignoring the humanitarian issues, there are more positives than negatives for the US getting out.

Humanitarian-wise, the US isn't really making any headway.

Add to that Afghanistan. That would be two fewer places the US is embroiled in. Let Russia spend the money and lives in that quagmire if they want to. The US is just losing. Better the resources were spend elsewhere or saved.