Donald Trump wants talks with Vladimir Putin, Xi Jinping to end 'uncontrollable arms race'

Reports on political activity with strategic consequences.
krzepice1976
DWS Staff
DWS Staff

Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:48 pm

US President Donald Trump on Monday (Dec 3) said he will discuss military developments with his counterparts from China and Russia in the future in the hopes of ending what he described as an arms race with the countries.

“I am certain that, at some time in the future, President Xi and I, together with President Putin of Russia, will start talking about a meaningful halt to what has become a major and uncontrollable Arms Race. The US spent 716 Billion Dollars this year. Crazy!” Trump wrote in a tweet, the day after he returned from the Group of 20 meeting in Argentina.

https://www.straitstimes.com/world/unit ... ntrollable

krzepice1976
DWS Staff
DWS Staff

Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:49 pm

I am certain that, at some time in the future, President Xi and I, together with President Putin of Russia, will start talking about a meaningful halt to what has become a major and uncontrollable Arms Race. The U.S. spent 716 Billion Dollars this year. Crazy!

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/sta ... 74849?s=19

PeacePlease

Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:46 am

I honestly don't understand the strategy here. Trump himself was boasting the fact that he had increased military spending. Hostilities at G20 possibly rattled Trump?
"To be prepared for war is one of the most effective means of preserving peace"
-George Washington

Obreid
Regular contributor

Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:33 pm

Peace through strength
It’s a carbon copy of Reagan which worked and had potential.
Nation states even remotely adversarial will always seek to out do other states with military or technological development.
Only way to end that is a real one world government. We’re a long way from that politically and culturally.

The short cut to a OWG would be Reagan’s remark in his UN speech about an external common enemy, what ever he meant by that.