ukraine to conduct missile launches near Crimea

Reports on current military activity
krzepice1976
DWS Staff
DWS Staff

Fri Nov 25, 2016 6:10 pm

Ukraine has made a unilateral decision to conduct missile launches near Crimea, close to routes used by civilian and government aircraft, the Russian civil aviation authority Rosaviatsiya said

http://tass.com/defense/914725

DEFCONWarningSystem
Director
Director

Fri Nov 25, 2016 8:18 pm

Do we have anything from Ukraine on this? I hate to go with a Russian source alone since they could be exaggerating the situation.

krzepice1976
DWS Staff
DWS Staff

Fri Nov 25, 2016 8:29 pm

A quick reference also shows that Ukraine has access to FROG-7s (in storage). Ukraine also has multiple missile development programs in place according to this article from 10-2015 for Sapsan, Korshun-2, and Grom-2 Tactical ballistic missiles. Could be a provocative test of the new assets. http://euromaidanpress.com/2014/10/07/n ... -industry/

Navarro
Power poster 2
Power poster 2

Fri Nov 25, 2016 11:35 pm

DEFCONWarningSystem wrote:Do we have anything from Ukraine on this? I hate to go with a Russian source alone since they could be exaggerating the situation.
Tass is reliable. Never the less I've located a German news source:

"Earlier in the day Russian information agencies 'RIA-Novosti' linked to the notification of the pilots allegedly planned Ukraine 'on 1 and 2 December missile tests.' ... the Federal Air Transport Agency expressed outrage because the Ukrainian side has not agreed with the decision by Russia and these tests pose a potential danger to civilian aircraft ... Russian Defense Ministry handed Ukrainian Defence ... protest note through the use of airspace over the Black Sea ... As of Friday evening the official confirmation of a planned missile test by Defense Minister Ukraine does not ... SDC Secretary Oleksandr Turchynov said that Ukraine has no plans to test in the Kerch Strait ... 'In this area, Ukraine has no plans to conduct missile tests. All other area west of the Strait of Kerch is the sovereign airspace of Ukraine ... Therefore we ask Russia not to interfere with testing their hysterics and provocations'"
Original: http://www.dw.com/uk/україна-попередила ... a-36531704
Translated: http://bit.ly/2fAk0Zh
Twitter: @DefconNavarro

DEFCONWarningSystem
Director
Director

Sat Nov 26, 2016 2:48 am

I didn't mean if the story was true. Rather, where the missile tests were taking place. According to the German article, it does look like Russia was making it more than it was, but I'd like to see a map of where the tests are actually going to be.

Navarro
Power poster 2
Power poster 2

Sat Nov 26, 2016 8:04 am

DEFCONWarningSystem wrote:I didn't mean if the story was true. Rather, where the missile tests were taking place. According to the German article, it does look like Russia was making it more than it was, but I'd like to see a map of where the tests are actually going to be.
I'm not sure about this. The Russians are a serious people, and the Russians are clearly taking the matter very seriously. Statements to the media, issuing a diplomatic protest to Ukraine, cancelling flights over the affected area. The Russians appear genuinely concerned.

Furthermore, the Strait of Kerch was not referenced by the Russians, and so the Ukrainian secretary was obfuscating. The Russians have cited concern about "airspace over the high seas within the zone of Russia’s area of responsibility," "near Crimea," "in Russia’s sovereign airspace," "over Russia’s territorial waters," and as a result, "Russia will ban flights over the Crimea." Meanwhile, the secretary's statement included "All other area west of the Strait of Kerch is the sovereign airspace of Ukraine." Let's take a look at a map:

The area "west of the Strait of Kerch" is in fact Crimea. The secretary is saying that Crimea is "the sovereign airspace of Ukraine," and so they'll do what they like there. This is in-line with Ukraine's myriad previous statements that it doesn't recognize the Crimea Referendum, and that it considers Russia to be occupying Ukrainian territory. Naturally, the statement was followed-up with an ad-hominem attack, accusing Russia of "provocations," but it would appear that it's Ukraine which is provoking Russia, by indicating the intention to indeed fire a missile over "Russia's sovereign airspace," which Ukraine justifies by suggesting that Crimea's airspace "is the sovereign airspace of Ukraine."

It looks like Ukraine is harassing Moscow, and the Russians are upset about that.

krzepice1976
DWS Staff
DWS Staff

Sat Nov 26, 2016 11:09 am

Navarro wrote:
DEFCONWarningSystem wrote:Do we have anything from Ukraine on this? I hate to go with a Russian source alone since they could be exaggerating the situation.
Tass is reliable. Never the less I've located a German news source:

"Earlier in the day Russian information agencies 'RIA-Novosti' linked to the notification of the pilots allegedly planned Ukraine 'on 1 and 2 December missile tests.' ... the Federal Air Transport Agency expressed outrage because the Ukrainian side has not agreed with the decision by Russia and these tests pose a potential danger to civilian aircraft ... Russian Defense Ministry handed Ukrainian Defence ... protest note through the use of airspace over the Black Sea ... As of Friday evening the official confirmation of a planned missile test by Defense Minister Ukraine does not ... SDC Secretary Oleksandr Turchynov said that Ukraine has no plans to test in the Kerch Strait ... 'In this area, Ukraine has no plans to conduct missile tests. All other area west of the Strait of Kerch is the sovereign airspace of Ukraine ... Therefore we ask Russia not to interfere with testing their hysterics and provocations'"
Original: http://www.dw.com/uk/україна-попередила ... a-36531704
Translated: http://bit.ly/2fAk0Zh
In opiniom much morę dangerus are russian plans related to transport to Belarus. It allows for action sgainst baltic states ,poland and ukraine

Engineer

Sat Nov 26, 2016 6:10 pm

Missile-firing
Exercise Area

TheChrome
Regular contributor

Sat Nov 26, 2016 6:32 pm

Turchynov: Ukraine not planning to hold missile tests in Kerch Strait
Ukraine has no plans to conduct missile tests in the Kerch Strait, National Security and Defense Council Secretary of Ukraine Oleksandr Turchynov said commenting on the statement by the Russian Federal Agency of Air Transport of the alleged “violations by the Ukrainian side of Russian airspace during missile exercises”
https://www.kyivpost.com/ukraine-politi ... trait.html

Navarro
Power poster 2
Power poster 2

Sat Nov 26, 2016 6:57 pm

Engineer wrote:Missile-firing
Exercise Area

Interesting. The exercise area appears to encroach on whatever that brown border represents which surrounds Crimea. Is that Russian airspace?
Also, do you have a link to the source?