BygmesterFinn
Regular contributor

Mon Oct 17, 2016 7:11 pm

matty1053 wrote:
BygmesterFinn wrote:Some great news for once
https://www.google.com/amp/www.bbc.co.u ... tmobile-us
Last time that happened.... It failed.

(Ceasefire that is)
This isn't a ceasefire nor a deal. Russia announced a 8 hr pause. Baby steps...
Even so, it's nice to see something, even if ostensible, in the right direction

matty1053
Power poster 1
Power poster 1

Mon Oct 17, 2016 7:19 pm

BygmesterFinn wrote:
matty1053 wrote:
BygmesterFinn wrote:Some great news for once
https://www.google.com/amp/www.bbc.co.u ... tmobile-us
Last time that happened.... It failed.

(Ceasefire that is)
I consider it a "ceasefire" if they are pausing/ceasing operations for a certain time. (Not officially recognized as a ceasefire, but for one side). But we will see if they do anything during that time. They probably ran out of bombs so they can bomb Aleppo.

BygmesterFinn
Regular contributor

Mon Oct 17, 2016 7:23 pm

matty1053 wrote:
BygmesterFinn wrote:
matty1053 wrote: Last time that happened.... It failed.

(Ceasefire that is)
I consider it a "ceasefire" if they are pausing/ceasing operations for a certain time. (Not officially recognized as a ceasefire, but for one side). But we will see if they do anything during that time. They probably ran out of bombs so they can bomb Aleppo.
Or things may be getting too hot for Putin's comfort

KelcYeoner
Regular contributor

Mon Oct 17, 2016 7:25 pm

BygmesterFinn wrote: Or things may be getting too hot for Putin's comfort
Well, one surefire way to keep things hot is to troll Kerry and Boris Johnson on Twitter.

matty1053
Power poster 1
Power poster 1

Mon Oct 17, 2016 7:31 pm

KelcYeoner wrote:
BygmesterFinn wrote: Or things may be getting too hot for Putin's comfort
Well, one surefire way to keep things hot is to troll Kerry and Boris Johnson on Twitter.
If our politicians threaten Russia with Military action over a trolling tweet, man we got idiots in office.

KelcYeoner
Regular contributor

Mon Oct 17, 2016 7:42 pm

Doesn't necessitate military response, obvs, but still not a way to ease diplomatic tensions.

BygmesterFinn
Regular contributor

Mon Oct 17, 2016 7:49 pm

dwatcher wrote:Well not sure if this was posted yet but just seen talks failed this weekend now Russia has warned of conflict/ war with the US now is increasing so guess we still need to keep an eye on things and hope for the best that maybe there will be another meeting and get things worked out
Talks didn't necessarily fail, the diplomatic line of communication is open again. Plus we get this new 8hr ceasefire possibly
All the war talk from Russia was to scare Obama into not conducting airstrikes, which probably worked

Stingertap

Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:56 pm

Seems to me Russia has clearly taken the opportunity to assume the role of aggressor to capitalize on the the instability. They're in almost the same boat as N. Korea in that way, although Russia can and would follow through with their threats. Russia isn't economically in a good place right now, and Putin is facing more push back from his people than ever, to the point of having a rival assassinated. He wants to keep that post his own private dictatorship for as long as he can. It's why they opened fire on the N. Korean boat that refused their search procedure. They knew no one would do anything to them. It'd frankly be too dangerous.

The fact they agreed to an 8 Hour pause is a miracle. Hopefully progress can be made from there. Scare tactic to back Obama off on airstrikes or not, seeing that Russian media is telling it's citizens to prepare for nuclear war with the US is downright scary to me. SO if it worked, I can see why.

BygmesterFinn
Regular contributor

Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:19 pm

Stingertap wrote:Seems to me Russia has clearly taken the opportunity to assume the role of aggressor to capitalize on the the instability. They're in almost the same boat as N. Korea in that way, although Russia can and would follow through with their threats. Russia isn't economically in a good place right now, and Putin is facing more push back from his people than ever, to the point of having a rival assassinated. He wants to keep that post his own private dictatorship for as long as he can. It's why they opened fire on the N. Korean boat that refused their search procedure. They knew no one would do anything to them. It'd frankly be too dangerous.

The fact they agreed to an 8 Hour pause is a miracle. Hopefully progress can be made from there. Scare tactic to back Obama off on airstrikes or not, seeing that Russian media is telling it's citizens to prepare for nuclear war with the US is downright scary to me. SO if it worked, I can see why.
Putin is the master at playing a very weak hand. He knows you can overplay, and I think that's what we're gonna start seeing. There's been a pattern of big acts that push us two to the brink and then small concessions that take us away again. I think Putin's main strategy is to continue this, getting as much as he can without going to war (which I believe we could have came very close to this week) and then let tensions ease for a little while, giving up very small pieces of what he's gained. He has a net gain and no war.
I trust Putin far more than our leadership not to get us into a nuke war. He's far to smart and far too selfish.