Russian General Thread, 10-12-16

Reports on current military activity
pnitro4

Wed Oct 12, 2016 4:36 pm

pringles wrote:
Xrosser wrote:
pringles wrote:RIA said the story was untrue, just to remind people.
RIA as in Russia's internal state news agency?
It kind of sucks when you live in a time where you don't know who to believe because news agencies are no longer known for accuracy or truth :| :cry:
Well RIA asked dmitry peskov and he said it was bullshit at the very least. As wel las other higher ups.
Just cause they denied it doesn't mean it legitimately didn't happen, the only way to actually find out is if you have actual connections with their children or family or with the officials themselves

Worldwatcher
Power poster 1
Power poster 1

Thu Oct 13, 2016 12:35 am

What I think is happening with the recent tensions, is that Putin is putting his foot down seriously while Obama is still in office. The next President (looking more likely to be Hillary) will change a lot of the current situation, and Russia can't be sure it can get what it wants while that person is in office.
"There's a cold war coming,
On the radio I heard
Baby it's a violent world"

- Coldplay, Life In Technicolor II

Drumboy44
DWS Staff
DWS Staff

Thu Oct 13, 2016 12:43 am

Worldwatcher wrote:What I think is happening with the recent tensions, is that Putin is putting his foot down seriously while Obama is still in office. The next President (looking more likely to be Hillary) will change a lot of the current situation, and Russia can't be sure it can get what it wants while that person is in office.
You better believe it. While Obama holds office, anything is ripe for the picking.
" man fears time, but time fears the pyramids "

bevans13

Thu Oct 13, 2016 1:33 am

October 19 is the next scheduled crew change of the International Space Station. The next crew includes NASA astronaut Shane Kimbrough who has a distinguish Army career.
Traditionally even during the worst relations US and Russian space programs continue to work together.
If all goes as planned then things are not to bad, if Russia stops the launch, then things are extremely bad.
At this point all things are good for the next crew liftoff.

Worldwatcher
Power poster 1
Power poster 1

Thu Oct 13, 2016 1:58 am

Drumboy44 wrote:
Worldwatcher wrote:What I think is happening with the recent tensions, is that Putin is putting his foot down seriously while Obama is still in office. The next President (looking more likely to be Hillary) will change a lot of the current situation, and Russia can't be sure it can get what it wants while that person is in office.
You better believe it. While Obama holds office, anything is ripe for the picking.
I wouldn't go as far as to say anything, but Putin is trying to get what he can, as there is only 1 month of Obama left. After that, anything can change.
On the radio I heard

TonyG

Thu Oct 13, 2016 4:50 am

Won't it be three months rather than one month? A little less urgency on Putin's part. Still, the suggestion is still very valid.

Worldwatcher
Power poster 1
Power poster 1

Thu Oct 13, 2016 4:58 am

TonyG wrote:Won't it be three months rather than one month? A little less urgency on Putin's part. Still, the suggestion is still very valid.
The election is in November right?
On the radio I heard

pringles
Regular contributor

Thu Oct 13, 2016 5:24 am

Worldwatcher wrote:
TonyG wrote:Won't it be three months rather than one month? A little less urgency on Putin's part. Still, the suggestion is still very valid.
Well ya, but they don't insistently take office.

TonyG

Thu Oct 13, 2016 5:41 am

The election is November indeed. But doesn't the new President get sworn in sometime in January? I could be wrong because I am not familiar with the American schedule since I am frim Canada. It was a question rather than a statement. I am certainly anxious to find out what happens in terms of not only the President elect, but Congress and the Senate. I do believe that the composition of the entire US government will dictate how Russia responds, but the president will have the biggest impact on Russia's response I believe.

matty1053
Power poster 1
Power poster 1

Thu Oct 13, 2016 5:50 am

Worldwatcher wrote:
The president (Obama) still is Commander in Chief until Janurary 20th. Literally, a LOT can happen within 99 days. He still has full power of the military until the next president takes the oath of office.

Merry Christmas to those that do not understand how the president is elected. https://www.usa.gov/election#item-211441