Syrian General Thread 9-20-16

Reports on current military activity
Encyclopath
Regular contributor

Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:48 am

Navarro wrote:"Kerry planned to meet Tuesday night with Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov and propose to him that the only way to restart the truce and prove Moscow’s commitment and influence was the immediate grounding of the Syrian air force."
https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/na ... story.html
More interesting still, is the situation that the US is going to place blame on the Syrian Air Force rather than the actual perpetrators and let them take the fall Evanich while Russia continues to deny serious role in it to save face for their ally?

Navarro
Power poster 2
Power poster 2

Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:03 am

TheSearcher wrote:
Navarro wrote:Video of the above subject, released by the Russian Defense Ministry, showing an alleged rebel pickup truck pulling what appears to be a towed weapon alongside the parked convoy.

https://sputniknews.com/middleeast/2016 ... onvoy.html
Okay. They've got this. What about footage of the strike itself?
Agreed. Russia sound release all information and evidence pertaining to the attack on the convoy. What it saw with its Air Radar which was monitoring Aleppo, what it saw with its Counter-Battery Radar which was monitoring Aleppo, what Syrian Air and CB Radar observed (which Russia has access to). They should reveal any relevant IMINT, SIGINT, HUMINT and of course the drone's recordings. The same can be said for America, which has acknowledged that it was also monitoring the area, remarking that they observed a specific Russian bird in flight near the convoy at the time of the attack. All parties should disclose what they have, and stop playing this childish game of finger pointing and indicating that they can't back up their claims for reasons of "national security" or OPSEC in general.
Twitter: @DefconNavarro

Navarro
Power poster 2
Power poster 2

Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:24 am

Encyclopath wrote:
MajorSnot wrote:The plot thickens...

Lavrov rejects claims that aid convoy was hit by Syrian Air Force

The Russian top diplomat says the Syrian aviation could not have worked as the attack on the convoy occurred during the hours of darkness when Syrian warplanes do not fly

http://tass.com/politics/901157?_ga=1.8 ... 1474415163
Interesting. Is that the inimitable Russian way of tacitly admitting guilt, by ruling out the only other possibile suspect that could have committed the act?
Russia isn't the "only other possible suspect." USA, UK, Israel and Terrorists remain viable suspects. As does Syria itself, as I see no legitimate reason why it should be impossible for any air force to operate at night. That's a ridiculous argument. Crude planes driven by propellers have regularly conducted night-time bombing raids since WW2. In fact, even WW1 biplanes and triplanes were sometimes tasked with night-time bombing raids. The modern Syrian Air Force can't operate at night why exactly? Because, the Syrian Air Force used to have the NF-13 Meteor, Night Fighter 13, which was specifically designed for night-time operations, in the fifties. I suppose the Syrians forgot how to operate aircraft at night then?

"...Aero L-39 Albatros aircraft ... The Syrian regime used these aircrafts in the night operations in Palmyra and later on in al-Qaryatain. The regime currently is using the aircrafts to strike the Syrian desert. ... equipped the aircraft with a device to detect GBS locations in the rear and night camera black and white in the front to strike land targets installed on the striking device..."
https://en.zamanalwsl.net/news/15311.html

I don't trust anything being said by any party, including Russia. A lot of baseless and ridiculous statements are being made, and nobody seems very inclined to show any evidence whatsoever to support their claims. However, I wouldn't be so quick to assume that Russia is preparing to admit that they were responsible for the destruction of that convoy. Russia may be preparing to argue that those rebels attacked that convoy by mortar, or that the convoy was even sabotaged by those rebels (or another party) by arson, given that Russia's also previously remarked that they've observed no cratering at the scene, which would seem to rule out missiles, bombs, artillery or mortars.
Last edited by Navarro on Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
Twitter: @DefconNavarro

Bodicea

Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:34 am

I suspect they were referring to the fact that there was no radar in operation at night,rather than the aircraft couldn't fly at night.
I generally agree with your assessment Navarro

3877DeltaBravo

Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:28 am

This could serve to strengthen relations even further between Russia and Turkey which does not bode well for the U.S. in the long run.

Obama Administration Considers Arming Syrian Kurds Against ISIS
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/22/world ... andos.html

Encyclopath
Regular contributor

Wed Sep 21, 2016 11:03 am

Navarro wrote:
Encyclopath wrote:
MajorSnot wrote:The plot thickens...

Lavrov rejects claims that aid convoy was hit by Syrian Air Force

The Russian top diplomat says the Syrian aviation could not have worked as the attack on the convoy occurred during the hours of darkness when Syrian warplanes do not fly

http://tass.com/politics/901157?_ga=1.8 ... 1474415163
Interesting. Is that the inimitable Russian way of tacitly admitting guilt, by ruling out the only other possibile suspect that could have committed the act?
Russia isn't the "only other possible suspect." USA, UK, Israel and Terrorists remain viable suspects. As does Syria itself, as I see no legitimate reason why it should be impossible for any air force to operate at night. That's a ridiculous argument. Crude planes driven by propellers have regularly conducted night-time bombing raids since WW2. In fact, even WW1 biplanes and triplanes were sometimes tasked with night-time bombing raids. The modern Syrian Air Force can't operate at night why exactly? Because, the Syrian Air Force used to have the NF-13 Meteor, Night Fighter 13, which was specifically designed for night-time operations, in the fifties. I suppose the Syrians forgot how to operate aircraft at night then?

"...Aero L-39 Albatros aircraft ... The Syrian regime used these aircrafts in the night operations in Palmyra and later on in al-Qaryatain. The regime currently is using the aircrafts to strike the Syrian desert. ... equipped the aircraft with a device to detect GBS locations in the rear and night camera black and white in the front to strike land targets installed on the striking device..."
https://en.zamanalwsl.net/news/15311.html

I don't trust anything being said by any party, including Russia. A lot of baseless and ridiculous statements are being made, and nobody seems very inclined to show any evidence whatsoever to support their claims. However, I wouldn't be so quick to assume that Russia is preparing to admit that they were responsible for the destruction of that convoy. Russia may be preparing to argue that those rebels attacked that convoy by mortar, or that the convoy was even sabotaged by those rebels (or another party) by arson, given that Russia's also previously remarked that they've observed no cratering at the scene, which would seem to rule out missiles, bombs, artillery or mortars.

Encyclopath
Regular contributor

Wed Sep 21, 2016 11:10 am

Unless one is buying into the spontaneous combustion theory Russia suggested, all evidence points to an air strike being responsible. No one is seriously considering Israel for doing this, and no one is even accusing the US or allies. If there was even a shred of plausibility of that, that would be the message from the Kremlin.
Any serious look at this will quickly narrow it down to Russia or Syria.

hrng
Power poster 1
Power poster 1

Wed Sep 21, 2016 11:14 am

One idea that I haven't seen tossed around yet... could Turkey have done it? Aleppo's reasonably close to their border... it's only what, 50km away from where they're currently operating?

Also just saw this come through:

https://t.co/97bnLHEODR
Four medics were killed and a nurse critically wounded when an air strike hit a clinic in a village near Syria's second city Aleppo late Tuesday, the aid group that supports it said.

[..]

The clinic in the village of Khan Tuman was completely levelled in the 11:00 pm (2000 GMT) strike and more dead were feared to be buried under the rubble, the group added.
Emphasis mine.

hrng
Power poster 1
Power poster 1

Wed Sep 21, 2016 11:16 am

Slim313shady wrote:Is that true report or BS?

http://en.farsnews.com/newstext.aspx?nn=13950631000607
The missile strike is true, but I don't know about the casualties they're talking about there. That broke yesterday I think... if US officers were dead I'm sure it'd be all over the news though wouldn't it?