Slim313shady

Sat Sep 17, 2016 10:24 pm

This is fucked lo!.

hrng
Power poster 1
Power poster 1

Sat Sep 17, 2016 10:26 pm

https://twitter.com/YallaSouriya/status ... 3714701312
Reports that there r russian officers and soldiers among those killed in Deir Ezzor.
Get your grains of salt out, it's RUMINT time!

Encyclopath
Regular contributor

Sat Sep 17, 2016 11:22 pm

This is way too similar to what the Russians did to US backed kurds for them to go too nuts over it.

hrng
Power poster 1
Power poster 1

Sat Sep 17, 2016 11:35 pm

Oswald wrote: 11175 Peoria and UTwente, 8992 Peoria, 8950 (Russian). Russian transmissions were banging away with digital bursts and coded transmissions. USAF coms were sporadic, the most interesting parts being a hailstorm of EAMs from Andrews. And a reference that might have been intended for the nuclear triad. Probably not out of line for what likely happened, with a airbase or C3 HQ hit. I'd say definitely reasonable to think we can de-escalate the situation. Hopefully.
Thanks dude, I was on 8992 Utwente this morning and didn't see anything too wild in the EAMs. There were a lot of repeats, which is fairly normal. It all seemed like your average Saturday night statistically, not much two-way comms either.

The only thing of note from my perspective was the number of Skykings in the first half of the UTC day, which was a little unusual, but no unusual numbers of calls per hour or anything like that.

Did you guys note down any that I missed? Would be keen to add them to the stats if there was more. :D

hrng
Power poster 1
Power poster 1

Sat Sep 17, 2016 11:37 pm

UNSC meeting should be kicking off now. The UN web stream isn't showing it (guess these ones are private?), but I'm sure we'll get the juicy goss on Twitter soon enough.

hrng
Power poster 1
Power poster 1

Sat Sep 17, 2016 11:44 pm

Oooh, live now: http://webtv.un.org/live/

I think this is the press conference, not the actual UNSC meeting.

Edit: To avoid lots of posts I'm gonna keep updating this one.

US Ambassador to the UN (Samantha Power): Syria is responsible for making ISIL what they are today.
Russia and Syria need to stop bombing civilians and moderate rebels.
"A meeting like this, a stunt like this, isn't helping anybody."
US Ambassador has ended press conf and now headed in to the UNSC meeting.

Russian (?) spox preparing to speak, audio really low, can't tell if it's the Russian bloke or not.
"I have never seen such an extraordinary display of American heavy handedness."
"I was talking to the security council, Ambassador Power chose to talk to you"
"As Ambassador Power walked in, the first thing she said is that she has no interest in discussing this stunt"
Russia is pissed, and the US is not interesting in discussing it.

"Having conducted this airstrike, the US has violated two of its commitments. 1 is the cessation of hostilities, and the other is a commitment to the gov of Syria that the US promised 2 years ago, that the air strikes would not affect the Syrian Armed Forces"

"It is quite significant and frankly suspicious that the US decided to conduct this air strike at this time"

"After all they did nothing when ISIL marched on Palnera (?)"

"I would suggest this is not a coincidence that this happened the day before Russia was supposed to work with the US"

(Note: I'm heavily paraphrasing here)

"If the US wanted to strike against Al-Nusra, they could have waited two days and had full cooperation with Russia, but instead they chose to strike early"

"The airstrike has been conducted in order to disrupt the implementation of the Joint Implementation Group, and to prevent it from happening"
"It may be, and this is just conjecture, that the US has no control over the situation"

"This is not a very good omen [..] They are losing control."

Q: "You are convinced that the strike wasn't a mistake?"
A: "I explained why I would believe that, the timing indicates that it is not an accident"

Q: "Is this the end of the deal between the US and Russia?"
A: "This is a very big question mark. If what Ambassador Power has done today is an indication of how the US intends to react, then this will be a difficult issue to overcome"

Q: "Do you believe that the US is directly colluding with ISIL?"
A: "[..] One has the impression that the US is trying to protect Al-Nusra on the ground. We don't have any evidence that they're colluding, but one wonders."
"If the US blames Russia, then their intentions become clear"

Q: "What about Power's comments lead you to believe that there's no negotiations to be had?"
A: "I was appalled that while I was talking she was talking to the media. Without hearing what I had to say, she said that what I had to say was a stunt. After that, I walked out"

Press conf over. Lots more was said than that, but I'm not a fast typer :D

Hopefully see a full transcript soon.
Last edited by hrng on Sun Sep 18, 2016 12:11 am, edited 8 times in total.

dekema2

Sat Sep 17, 2016 11:48 pm

How many more "accidents" need to happen before something goes haywire? I mean really...we need to look at the gameplan w.r.t this ceasefire, assess options, and carefully proceed forward. There's no easy solution. It's like playing geopolitical Jenga.

Silent
Power poster 1
Power poster 1

Sat Sep 17, 2016 11:56 pm

Amb. Churkin left the #UNSC when Amb. Power told him the meeting called by Russia was a stunt.

Silent
Power poster 1
Power poster 1

Sat Sep 17, 2016 11:58 pm

Churkin: The US has violated two of its commitments

Silent
Power poster 1
Power poster 1

Sat Sep 17, 2016 11:59 pm

Churkin: How come US allegedly suddenly wanted to "help" #SAA against #ISIS with an Airstrike after years they did nothing?