other times, the same event ;)

Slim313shady

Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:55 pm

Does Russia say something about this?

Worldwatcher
Power poster 1
Power poster 1

Wed Aug 24, 2016 3:46 pm

The Turkish offensive has taken the Villages of Al-Haluwaniyah, Tal Shair, Kaklijah, Jarablus Tahtani, and the city of Jarablus.

Source: LiveUAmap

It is unclear if the force intends to push through the night or not, as night has just fallen.
"There's a cold war coming,
On the radio I heard
Baby it's a violent world"

- Coldplay, Life In Technicolor II

DirtyDevil69
Power poster 1
Power poster 1

Wed Aug 24, 2016 5:30 pm

Oh shit this is happening for real. I thought this was just another turkish movement to piss someone off.

I pretty much skipped threw the thread to look at this picture.
The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his.
~ General George S. Patton- WW2
Semper Fidelis (Always Faithful)
~ U.S. Marines

coldFusionGuy
Regular contributor

Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:45 pm

Strap in, because this feels like the precursor to something which could quickly spiral out of control if mismanaged. Also Putin must be pissed about this. This pleases me :D

Diedrich

Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:03 pm

coldFusionGuy wrote:Strap in, because this feels like the precursor to something which could quickly spiral out of control if mismanaged. Also Putin must be pissed about this. This pleases me :D
iirc russia and turkey were rubbing elbows after the coup what makes you think this offensive isn't in support to a russian counter offensive else where in Syria?

JohnStone
Power poster 1
Power poster 1

Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:33 pm

coldFusionGuy wrote:Strap in, because this feels like the precursor to something which could quickly spiral out of control if mismanaged. Also Putin must be pissed about this. This pleases me :D
He may like the distraction though. Things are heating up in Ukraine.

jayfeather31
Power poster 3
Power poster 3

Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:48 pm

JohnStone wrote:
He may like the distraction though. Things are heating up in Ukraine.
Agreed. Any distraction that allows part of NATO to be expending energy elsewhere is a benefit to him.
The release of atomic energy has not created a new problem. It has merely made more urgent the necessity of solving an existing one.
~Albert Einstein
Great, let's round up all the useless cats and hope a tree falls on them.
~Jayfeather

coldFusionGuy
Regular contributor

Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:28 am

Diedrich wrote:
iirc russia and turkey were rubbing elbows after the coup what makes you think this offensive isn't in support to a russian counter offensive else where in Syria?
I think Erdogan is going to use this to get what he wants from the US. I also think he needs the Russians to not interfere with this, hence why he was rubbing elbows with Putin after the coup. He's playing both countries' leaders like a fiddle.

As far as Putin using this as a distraction, that's entirely possible. It would be the logical move to make as the Russians have the element of surprise. That being said, I would hope the General Staff would recognize this as a diversion. There's also the possibility that the Ukraine is a diversion as well, and that Putin seeks to open a corridor between Belarus and Kaliningrad. That is very unlikely though, because it has the potential for disaster. Then again, who knows what Putin thinks he can get away with?