U.S. Joins Turkish Forces to Launch Push Against Islamic State in Syria

Reports on current military activity
hrng
Power poster 1
Power poster 1

Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:23 am

Worldwatcher wrote:I agree. Simply having a live stream of it on CNN Turk is a big deal. If the US didn't know about this, why are they conducting airstrikes in cooperation with the offensive though?
My guess is either reactionary - as in Turkey sends a message saying 'hey we're getting kebabs, wanna come grab one?'; or, considering that it is involving FSA elements, they planned to support an FSA offensive and Turkish tanks tagged along without letting them know they were coming. It'd be totes awks to say 'sorry Turkey, I thought this was a date between me and FSA', so they just order their mixed kebab and eat in silence.

Worldwatcher
Power poster 1
Power poster 1

Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:46 am

hrng wrote:
Worldwatcher wrote:I agree. Simply having a live stream of it on CNN Turk is a big deal. If the US didn't know about this, why are they conducting airstrikes in cooperation with the offensive though?
'hey we're getting kebabs, wanna come grab one?';

so they just order their mixed kebab and eat in silence.
Lost it! :lol: :lol: :lol:
"There's a cold war coming,
On the radio I heard
Baby it's a violent world"

- Coldplay, Life In Technicolor II

hrng
Power poster 1
Power poster 1

Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:54 am

https://twitter.com/Conflicts/status/768399623845253120
BREAKING: US military advisers active along with Turkish army and Syrian rebels in #Jarabulus - @WSJ http://www.wsj.com/articles/u-s-joins-t ... 1472016805
Hmm, maybe I was wrong about US prior knowledge? Unless that's mangled info... Maybe they expected the Turks would be supporting from across the border.

Any other ideas on the reason for the comms after the offensive was already public knowledge? Perhaps 'go words' for an air operation scheduled to start *after* the ground offensive?

Worldwatcher
Power poster 1
Power poster 1

Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:05 am

Go words sound about right. Or letting a higher up command that they had started their operation.
On the radio I heard

hrng
Power poster 1
Power poster 1

Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:09 am

Worldwatcher wrote:Go words sound about right. Or letting a higher up command that they had started their operation.
Hmm true, given how weak the first two Skykings were I wonder if they were broadcast from an airborne station. The latter Skyking was much clearer, but the operator sounded either inexperienced and/or rushed. Usually when they mess them up badly they 'disregard' it and go again, but this bloke just kept on rolling even though he messed up the format pretty bad, was his second attempt too.

Worldwatcher
Power poster 1
Power poster 1

Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:09 am

I know it's a tweet, but:
Syrian State TV: Syrian Foreign Ministry condemns crossing of Turkish tanks into #Syria as a breach of sovereignty
Source: https://twitter.com/MarQs__/status/768400548877963264
On the radio I heard

Worldwatcher
Power poster 1
Power poster 1

Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:11 am

hrng wrote:
Worldwatcher wrote:Go words sound about right. Or letting a higher up command that they had started their operation.
Hmm true, given how weak the first two Skykings were I wonder if they were broadcast from an airborne station. The latter Skyking was much clearer, but the operator sounded either inexperienced and/or rushed. Usually when they mess them up badly they 'disregard' it and go again, but this bloke just kept on rolling even though he messed up the format pretty bad, was his second attempt too.
Probably means they aren't used to broadcasting Skykings, meaning they are likely in Europe.
On the radio I heard

Silent
Power poster 1
Power poster 1

Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:33 pm

SYRIA: Turkish F-16s enter Syrian airspace for first time since Russian jet incident in November, no threat up to now - @CNNTURK_ENG
https://twitter.com/Conflicts

Worldwatcher
Power poster 1
Power poster 1

Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:43 pm

Slim313shady wrote:Interesting.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cqn-xOzWcAEetKS.jpg
To dip into pseudo-philosophy, Dabik is the location of the mythical start of the apocalypse that ISIS believes in. It is also the name of their propaganda magazine.
On the radio I heard