Russian and NATO thread 07/06/16

Reports on current military activity
jayfeather31
Power poster 3
Power poster 3

Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:51 pm

Ryan wrote:Here is the thread to dump everything related to Russia and NATO as tensions are rising.

Looking at that diagram, I'm pretty sure it's safe to say we're outnumbered.
The release of atomic energy has not created a new problem. It has merely made more urgent the necessity of solving an existing one.
~Albert Einstein
Great, let's round up all the useless cats and hope a tree falls on them.
~Jayfeather

kasutajanimi

Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:58 pm

As always, not quite the truth :)

The diagram is missing the troops of the NATO countries on the map and showing only the troops stationed there by other NATO members

kasutajanimi

Wed Jul 06, 2016 8:27 pm

Changes in NATO EU countries budget http://www.cer.org.uk/insights/nato-def ... solidarity

DEFCONWarningSystem
Director
Director

Wed Jul 06, 2016 8:58 pm

Ryan wrote:
kasutajanimi wrote:As always, not quite the truth :)

The diagram is missing the troops of the NATO countries on the map and showing only the troops stationed there by other NATO members
Its only meant to show the recent build up which we care about. Its assumed that the other troops are there.
I would prefer to see a map of number totals rather than what is being added. Puts things in better perspective.

Encyclopath
Regular contributor

Wed Jul 06, 2016 9:15 pm

Also to consider is the ability to quickly mobilize, which Russia has made a point of demonstrating lately. On that point they seem clearly ahead. Their ability to hold ground and consolidate advances, let alone maintain an effective occupation is far more tenuous. Surely they are aware though, that any advantages they have would expire in a matter of days, if not hours, once hostilities are initiated.

nillhouse

Wed Jul 06, 2016 10:59 pm

HEADSUP wrote:Image

I think this picture says it all.....something is brewing
It does, however that photo was taken nearly 10 months ago and quite a bit has happened since then. It's gone beyond brewing.... Definitely Stewing now.. :)

Experiment632
Regular contributor

Wed Jul 06, 2016 11:52 pm

We're in over our heads. There's no way we'd be able to stop the Russians from overturning the Baltic States and Poland. Any liberation attempt would likely trigger a nuclear war, especially if our troops enter Russian territory which as far as Putin is concerned includes the Baltic States.

BadKarma

Thu Jul 07, 2016 1:34 am

Encyclopath wrote:Also to consider is the ability to quickly mobilize, which Russia has made a point of demonstrating lately. On that point they seem clearly ahead. Their ability to hold ground and consolidate advances, let alone maintain an effective occupation is far more tenuous. Surely they are aware though, that any advantages they have would expire in a matter of days, if not hours, once hostilities are initiated.

And that's always been a tricky problem for NATO, and Russia alike. Holding that which is gained. They still haven't fully solved the age old plague of ALL armies: Logistics. Bottom line is that we've only got so much stockpiled over in Europe. Once that runs dry, which they quickly would in the event of real hostilities, then it comes down to shipping them into theatre...

*edit* Sorry, should be more clear. Was referring to munitions. All the armor and ass in the world won't be very effective if they don't have anything to shoot.
"Una salus victus nullam sperare salutem"

BadKarma

Thu Jul 07, 2016 1:40 am

HEADSUP wrote:Image

I think this picture says it all.....something is brewing

You may be exactly right, but don't discount the fact that racism plays a bit of a role there, too. No, Ivan, I'm not poking deliberately, but I've worked with enough ethnic Russians over the years to see something of a pattern in behaviour in that regard.
"Una salus victus nullam sperare salutem"

Ivan

Thu Jul 07, 2016 2:21 am

There no reason for Russian invasion now. I will repeat it again and again. Russians are not pinky and brain. We not think 'wow what a wonderful day, let's invade in couple little countries today!' every time when wake up.