DRPK July 7th

Reports on current military activity
Travis The Dragon
Regular contributor

Sat Jul 08, 2017 3:26 am

Here's something I'm wondering.

Was NK doing this much testing when Obama was president, before Trump sent all of the military force over there? Or has it all increased since Trump made that decision?
“I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.”
Albert Einstein

eji

Sat Jul 08, 2017 3:42 am

Travis The Dragon wrote:

Was NK doing this much testing when Obama was president, before Trump sent all of the military force over there? Or has it all increased since Trump made that decision?
Was happening with the previous administration, I remember a time there was a partial mobilization of SK armored vehicles lined up to the DMZ as a response.

Notably, the current administration seems to have caused a temporary halt to nuclear testing.

Green
Regular contributor

Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:16 am

eji wrote:
Travis The Dragon wrote:

Was happening with the previous administration, I remember a time there was a partial mobilization of SK armored vehicles lined up to the DMZ as a response.

Notably, the current administration seems to have caused a temporary halt to nuclear testing.
the current administration didn't do that, that Chinese did.
DPRK has made it extremely apparent over the years that bullying them does not work.

PeacePlease

Sat Jul 08, 2017 3:22 pm

Green wrote:
DPRK has made it extremely apparent over the years that bullying them does not work.
Correct the chinese found their leash but, North Korea still finds loop holes.
"To be prepared for war is one of the most effective means of preserving peace"
-George Washington

apollonights

Sat Jul 08, 2017 4:52 pm

PeacePlease wrote:
Green wrote:
Did they find their leash? I remember a few months ago everyone was saying the North was scared off from doing a long range missile test and yet here we sit. IMO its more likely Chairman Jong-Un wants to make sure this next test goes perfectly or they wanted to work their way back up the escalation latter. Namely since tensions increased earlier this year just keep testing the waters with every move. Unless I'm wrong (and someone let me know if I am) the next move would be a nuclear test.

Vanya

Sat Jul 08, 2017 4:57 pm

apollonights wrote:
PeacePlease wrote:
Green wrote:
Did they find their leash? I remember a few months ago everyone was saying the North was scared off from doing a long range missile test and yet here we sit. IMO its more likely Chairman Jong-Un wants to make sure this next test goes perfectly or they wanted to work their way back up the escalation latter. Namely since tensions increased earlier this year just keep testing the waters with every move. Unless I'm wrong (and someone let me know if I am) the next move would be a nuclear test.
My understanding of it was that the American response in April was overwhelming and Jong-Un legitimately believed that a military strike was imminent. I think the North Korean leadership is holding off on testing until the tensions go down just to save themselves from being saddamed.

Green
Regular contributor

Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:03 pm

Vanya wrote:
apollonights wrote:
PeacePlease wrote:

My understanding of it was that the American response in April was overwhelming and Jong-Un legitimately believed that a military strike was imminent. I think the North Korean leadership is holding off on testing until the tensions go down just to save themselves from being saddamed.
What response?
Remember when trump said an ICBM test "wouldn't happen"
The 4th was a big F**k you to our military brass, and what's our response? The "red line" gets moved and our leader has a fit on twitter.
The past few months have been nothing but saber rattling and rhetoric
This whole situation is one big gridlock

RiffRaff
DEFCON Data Analyst
DEFCON Data Analyst

Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:40 pm

Green wrote:
Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:03 pm
Vanya wrote:
apollonights wrote:

What response?
Remember when trump said an ICBM test "wouldn't happen"
The 4th was a big F**k you to our military brass, and what's our response? The "red line" gets moved and our leader has a fit on twitter.
The past few months have been nothing but saber rattling and rhetoric
This whole situation is one big gridlock
As much as people love to place blame for things like this on {Insert Presidential Administration of your choice here}, I have said time and time again that the stalemate with North Korea dates back to before most of the people on this board were born. The only difference now is that they have nukes. Well, they got those nukes under the Bush II Administration, who did nothing. Obama did nothing. And Trump is now standing in those same shoes and is probably realizing just how powerless he is in this situation, just like all the Presidents before him. And he will probably do nothing (although if any President is likely to go off reservation, it's The Donald).

We need to prepare for the following four possibilities, listed in what I see as the most likely to least likely:
1: The status quo continues and the world simply learns to live with a nuclear armed DPRK. Nothing happens.
2: The status quo continues up to the point that DPRK actually uses a nuclear weapon in combat. Then all hell will break loose.
3: The US launches a pre-emptive strike on DPRK. Then all hell will break loose.
4: The DPRK government eventually collapses as the Soviet Union did, China secures DPRK's nukes and puts a puppet government in place.
"It's in your nature to destroy yourselves." - Terminator 2: Judgment Day

Wolfalisk

Sat Jul 08, 2017 11:38 pm

RiffRaff wrote:
Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:40 pm
2: The status quo continues up to the point that DPRK actually uses a nuclear weapon in combat. Then all hell will break loose.
3: The US launches a pre-emptive strike on DPRK. Then all hell will break loose.
In the case of conflict, how far will PRC and Russia go to prevent ROK from absorbing the former DPRK part of the Korean Peninsula?

rudemarine
Regular contributor

Sat Jul 08, 2017 11:55 pm

Green wrote:
eji wrote:
Travis The Dragon wrote:

They demanded more food and money to not start RESTART nuclear weapons work every year under Clinton.

Bush stopped the nuclear blackmail.

Obama did nothing to even slow them down.

The Chinese have not done anything but say they have sanctioned them when they have not, behind everyone's back. If China wanted them to stop they would have already, as they would not have been saved during the Korean war and kept a separate communist state without them.

Sending two battle groups to the waters within striking distance of them was the best thing we could have done, sending them away cost us the Fitzgerald as it was the only BMD destroyer in the area. North Korea thought it had to be taken out before the test they did right after, they thought it would be shot down and lose important information they desperately needed.

The only thing Dictators understand is a bully beat down. His people have suffered long enough. Its time they get to live like us normal people. They are not lunatic Arabs, they will party when he and his crew goes down. The ones that do not can escape north.