Ukraine/Russia Situation Dec 6th

Reports on current military activity
Drumboy44
DWS Staff
DWS Staff

Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:37 am

Russia deploys nuclear weapon carriers in occupied Crimea
Ukraine's Permanent Representative to the United Nations Volodymyr Yelchenko has said Russia deployed in occupied Crimea carriers and other means capable of delivering nuclear weapons. "After the Russian Federation occupied Crimea, it has been tightening its military grip over the occupied peninsula. Comparing to the pre-occupation period, Russia has more than doubled its military personnel from 12,500 to over 28,000, and up to 31,500 probably, according to the recent estimations," he said at a briefing on the security in the Black Sea and the Sea of Azov Region. "Russia has also substantially reinforced and modernized its military land, air, and naval components," he said. "Russian military in Crimea got tanks and anti-aircraft systems, which were not present there before, up to six-seven times more combat vehicles, artillery systems, combat aircraft."
https://t.co/IHcyqW465W
" man fears time, but time fears the pyramids "

TheChrome
Regular contributor

Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:51 am

I do not click on t.co links or any link that is indirect, however I will say there is a lot of propaganda that says Russia is always building up forces or trying to attack. Who knows, you have to just take a step back and see what happens.
И во дне тех царств бог Небесный воздвигнет царство, которое во веки не разрушится, и царство это не будет передано другому народу; оно сокрушит и разрушит все царства а само будет стоять вечно. Даниила 2:44

DEFCONWarningSystem
Director
Director

Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:14 am

TheChrome wrote:
I do not click on t.co links or any link that is indirect, however I will say there is a lot of propaganda that says Russia is always building up forces or trying to attack. Who knows, you have to just take a step back and see what happens.
Ukraine's propaganda machine is in high gear. The trouble is, sometimes propaganda is truth. Not saying this particular claim is, but I can see Russia doing it. This isn't one of the more outlandish claims.

tom129

Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:49 am

There's enough blame to go around...for everyone. Yes Russia has greatly increased it's military presence profile and posture. The MSM is not pointing out that we (Nato) have been doing the same for the last several years as well. Not to point the blame at anyone, that is a waste of time the situation is now critical and needs to be addressed all over the world.

CreepyMonkey

Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:32 am

TheChrome wrote:
https://www.unian.info/politics/1036571 ... henko.html

The full link is to the Unian. Saw this before I saw it here. I've seen a lot of propaganda published in the Unian, but I tend to believe at least some of this.

DEFCONWarningSystem
Director
Director

Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:26 pm

tom129 wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:49 am
There's enough blame to go around...for everyone. Yes Russia has greatly increased it's military presence profile and posture. The MSM is not pointing out that we (Nato) have been doing the same for the last several years as well. Not to point the blame at anyone, that is a waste of time the situation is now critical and needs to be addressed all over the world.
Russia has a stick up its behind and a legitimate gripe. (To paraphrase a line from Crimson Tide.)

tbh, if Russia did what NATO is doing (encircling), the US would upset as well.

Problem is, Russia invaded two countries and annexed parts of them. And they have sights on more land.

NATO is right to be worried.

Drumboy44
DWS Staff
DWS Staff

Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:47 am

Convoy of military equipment spotted moving into Crimea across Kerch Strait Bridge

Russia has been turning the occupied Crimea into a major military base.

A large convoy of trucks carrying military equipment into the Russian-occupied Crimea was spotted moving across the Kerch Strait Bridge on December 8.

As UNIAN reported earlier, Ukrainian intelligence has many times spotted Russian Iskander missile launchers near the Ukrainian border and on the territory of the illegally annexed Crimea. Iskander missiles range threatens eastern Europe.

https://www.unian.info/m/politics/10369 ... video.html
" man fears time, but time fears the pyramids "

PeacePlease

Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:08 am

This is slowly yet quickly getting out of hand if what their saying is true. Nuclear weapons would surely get NATO involved. What will it take for this crisis to reach the boiling point?
"To be prepared for war is one of the most effective means of preserving peace"
-George Washington

RiffRaff
DEFCON Data Analyst
DEFCON Data Analyst

Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:34 pm

PeacePlease wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:08 am
This is slowly yet quickly getting out of hand if what their saying is true. Nuclear weapons would surely get NATO involved. What will it take for this crisis to reach the boiling point?
Iskander missiles can carry conventional or nuclear payloads, so no need to panic just yet. This crisis is on a slow boil. And just like the proverbial frog in the pot, we may not realize the water is boiling until it's too late.

But to answer your question, I think NATO will limit its involvement to stationing troops on the Ukrainian border to defend the rest of Europe and possibly providing weapons and other background assistance to Ukraine. I don't see how a non-member country can call on NATO for military assistance without wreaking all kinds of havoc. All 29 NATO members would surely have to agree to it individually since it would not be an automatic Article 5 matter. And I just don't think anyone wants to stand toe to toe with Russia.

Does this have the potential to turn into another Afghanistan?
"It's in your nature to destroy yourselves." - Terminator 2: Judgment Day

CreepyMonkey

Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:32 pm

RiffRaff wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:34 pm
Iskander missiles can carry conventional or nuclear payloads, so no need to panic just yet. This crisis is on a slow boil. And just like the proverbial frog in the pot, we may not realize the water is boiling until it's too late.

But to answer your question, I think NATO will limit its involvement to stationing troops on the Ukrainian border to defend the rest of Europe and possibly providing weapons and other background assistance to Ukraine. I don't see how a non-member country can call on NATO for military assistance without wreaking all kinds of havoc. All 29 NATO members would surely have to agree to it individually since it would not be an automatic Article 5 matter. And I just don't think anyone wants to stand toe to toe with Russia.

Does this have the potential to turn into another Afghanistan?
Good assessment. My take on it would be that even if all the other NATO nations agreed (very unlikely) Turkey would not. All speculation of course.