Transportation after Nuclear Annihilation

Thoughts, suggestions, and advice on what to do if the unthinkable happens.
Ps22009
.
Posts: 43
Joined: Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:55 am

Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:58 am

If you're planning or wanting to get a vehicle that can withstand a EMP, get one that's made before 1973, (reason why is because older models dont have electronic components/parts).

Best recommended vehicle to get is a old 1972 willy's jeep (in my opinion)

And no spark plugs wont be affected by the EMP
(Emp stands for electromagnetic pulse)
We wont know who shot first or who won, but we will know how bad the fallout is going to be

User avatar
RiffRaff
DEFCON Data Analyst
DEFCON Data Analyst
Posts: 1901
Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:09 pm
Location: Indianapolis, Indiana, US
Contact:

Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:46 pm

Ps22009 wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:58 am
If you're planning or wanting to get a vehicle that can withstand a EMP, get one that's made before 1973, (reason why is because older models dont have electronic components/parts).

Best recommended vehicle to get is a old 1972 willy's jeep (in my opinion)

And no spark plugs wont be affected by the EMP
(Emp stands for electromagnetic pulse)
Even an EMP-proof vehicle needs fuel, parts, and repairs, all of which will become almost impossible to get within 72 hours of a full-scale nuclear exchange. Your transportation should be limited to getting you from Target Area A to Bugout Area B before the bombs hit. You won't be going anywhere for quite some time afterward, even if your vehicle still runs.
"It's in your nature to destroy yourselves." - Terminator 2: Judgment Day

User avatar
DEFCONWarningSystem
Director
Director
Posts: 5440
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:26 pm
Contact:

Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:35 pm

There's a lot of debate over this. Some speculate that most vehicles would survive an EMP; their tires already offer protection from the pulse.

Tests have shown that many modern cars will start after an EMP hit.

It's all theory, though. After all, it's never really happened on a large scale.

Yingyang
Regular contributor
Posts: 508
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:12 am
Location: Perth Western Australia

Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:12 pm

I agree with riff raff any motor vehicle really sole purpose should only be relied upon to get out out of strike zones.
After 24 to 48 hours only other use of any importance could be shelter if well hidden. Bicycle and foot from there.

Obreid
Regular contributor
Posts: 1054
Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2016 1:51 am

Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:09 pm

Would be a good topic for a really capable car thief to comment on😎

Ps22009
.
Posts: 43
Joined: Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:55 am

Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:49 am

Yingyang wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:12 pm
I agree with riff raff any motor vehicle really sole purpose should only be relied upon to get out out of strike zones.
After 24 to 48 hours only other use of any importance could be shelter if well hidden. Bicycle and foot from there.
I agree with you on that. Always make sure your not bringing attention to others around you. But it's safe to say that you should get to a place that can shield you off from the fallout (like a basement or a building that's made of concrete and doesn't have windows).
We wont know who shot first or who won, but we will know how bad the fallout is going to be

willrod1989
.
Posts: 150
Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:07 am
Location: Detroit, Michigan, USA

Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:13 am

Yingyang wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:12 pm
I agree with riff raff any motor vehicle really sole purpose should only be relied upon to get out out of strike zones.
After 24 to 48 hours only other use of any importance could be shelter if well hidden. Bicycle and foot from there.
Provided we can provide enough shielding, my folks have 3 horses. That should make transportation *much* easier :) If I'm still in the city and somehow survive when SHTF, I have a collapsable bicycle and have practiced making the ride to their farm. In ideal conditions, I can make it there in a little over a day. I'll have enough supplies to last a week.

Yingyang
Regular contributor
Posts: 508
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:12 am
Location: Perth Western Australia

Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:40 am

Remember as soon as you believe a nuclear war is imminent hopefully through this site half an hour before any public announcement if any. Make sure to check wind direction , as this could greatly reduce immediate fallout and lower radiation poisoning. Otherwise you find your heading the same way. If blows the direction you want make detour, around 4- 500km is approximately the distance by wind. About 120km wide of this zone should be safer. A bee line to your destination could take you through the thick of it. Also if you live near city,fuel refinery-industrial area , international airport , military base or port-harbor bugging out is the realistic option. For me I have too get out as all of these basically surround me in a 20 to 30 km radius with a small window and luck has it wind direction rarely blows that way. With hills only 35km away topography can also play a big part.

User avatar
RiffRaff
DEFCON Data Analyst
DEFCON Data Analyst
Posts: 1901
Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:09 pm
Location: Indianapolis, Indiana, US
Contact:

Sun Dec 16, 2018 2:05 am

Yingyang wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:40 am
Remember as soon as you believe a nuclear war is imminent hopefully through this site half an hour before any public announcement if any. Make sure to check wind direction , as this could greatly reduce immediate fallout and lower radiation poisoning. Otherwise you find your heading the same way. If blows the direction you want make detour, around 4- 500km is approximately the distance by wind. About 120km wide of this zone should be safer. A bee line to your destination could take you through the thick of it. Also if you live near city,fuel refinery-industrial area , international airport , military base or port-harbor bugging out is the realistic option. For me I have too get out as all of these basically surround me in a 20 to 30 km radius with a small window and luck has it wind direction rarely blows that way. With hills only 35km away topography can also play a big part.
We have a map in our emergency response plans that shows all potential detonation points between us and our bugout location, with a pre-planned route that avoids all interstates and major highways. We can be outside Indianapolis blast zones within 10 minutes of leaving the house. Now how much we have in the way of supplies transferred from the basement to the truck - that depends on whether or not we reached DEFCON 2 before we hit DEFCON 1. DEFCON 2 is when we load the truck up, ready to go. Depending on the scenario, we may head to one of our failsafe waypoints along our path that is well outside of any blast or fallout zones and see if it cools down or not.
"It's in your nature to destroy yourselves." - Terminator 2: Judgment Day

Post Reply