"Full Scale Exercise" Simulating "Very Realistic" "Complex Coordinated Terror Attack" in Capital Region on April 26

The world is a dangerous place, and nuclear war isn't the only threat.
Navarro
Power poster 2
Power poster 2

Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:53 pm

"Full-scale exercise focused on preparing for complex terror attacks to include National Capital Region first responders, emergency managers ... Law enforcement officials and other first responders will participate in a full-scale exercise on April 26 designed to prepare for the possibility of a complex coordinated terror attack in the National Capital Region ... The regional exercise will be staged at six sites in the District of Columbia, suburban Maryland and Northern Virginia, and will involve hundreds of police, fire, and emergency medical service personnel and volunteer actors. The locations include neighborhoods in the northeast and southeast quadrants of the District of Columbia, Prince George’s County, and Arlington and Fairfax Counties. Residents in those neighborhoods will be notified ahead of time to expect the exercise ... 'a very realistic emergency event involving multiple sites and actors posing as the casualties. However, there is no reason for residents to be alarmed because the exercise will occur in a controlled environment'"
https://www.mwcog.org/newsroom/2017/04/ ... -managers/
Twitter: @DefconNavarro

matty1053
Power poster 1
Power poster 1

Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:37 pm

Guess it is a good thing?

I mean, we will only have every Senator at the White House tomorrow... then the air force will test a minuteman icbm tomorrow as well..
http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-m ... story.html

Either way, they should do these exercises more often.

Nexus

Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:07 am

matty1053 wrote:
I agree with you there. Always better to be safe than sorry.
The ultimate lerker.

matty1053
Power poster 1
Power poster 1

Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:08 am

Nexus wrote:
matty1053 wrote:
My friend being a LEO, said they usually 'study out of a book' for events. They do brief training on major events like this, however it's nearly impossible to fully train for very complex attacks.

If the terrorists know what they are doing, it is tough to stop them.

RiffRaff
DEFCON Data Analyst
DEFCON Data Analyst

Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:32 pm

matty1053 wrote:
Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:08 am
Nexus wrote:
matty1053 wrote:
My friend being a LEO, said they usually 'study out of a book' for events. They do brief training on major events like this, however it's nearly impossible to fully train for very complex attacks.

If the terrorists know what they are doing, it is tough to stop them.
These drills aren't conducted with the goal of preventing a terrorist attack. That is up to people much higher up the food chain. These drills are always conducted under the assumption that a terrorist attack has succeeded, so how do we deal with the aftermath in the most efficient manner to help as many victims as possible and hopefully reduce the number of fatalities. That's it. We operate under the assumption that prevention has failed so we are as prepared for the consequences as possible.
"It's in your nature to destroy yourselves." - Terminator 2: Judgment Day

hrng
Power poster 1
Power poster 1

Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:30 pm

RiffRaff wrote:
These drills aren't conducted with the goal of preventing a terrorist attack. That is up to people much higher up the food chain. These drills are always conducted under the assumption that a terrorist attack has succeeded, so how do we deal with the aftermath in the most efficient manner to help as many victims as possible and hopefully reduce the number of fatalities. That's it. We operate under the assumption that prevention has failed so we are as prepared for the consequences as possible.
They're also just in general for training for *any* scenario. The lessons learned are applied across any major incident, not just terrorism. :)

As an example, my old SES unit took part in a massive training ex where the scenario was a plane crash with many casualties. That helped us respond more effectively to a building collapse later in the year.

I love how the conspiracytards always go nuts for these exercises, thinking that the choice of scenario has any basis in future events :D

Doc
Regular contributor

Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:32 am

hrng wrote:
I love how the conspiracytards always go nuts for these exercises, thinking that the choice of scenario has any basis in future events :D
Tells you something about the level of trust.
"The first casualty of war is the truth."

RiffRaff
DEFCON Data Analyst
DEFCON Data Analyst

Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:16 am

hrng wrote:
RiffRaff wrote:
They're also just in general for training for *any* scenario. The lessons learned are applied across any major incident, not just terrorism. :)

As an example, my old SES unit took part in a massive training ex where the scenario was a plane crash with many casualties. That helped us respond more effectively to a building collapse later in the year.

You gotta admit, having an exercise involving hijacked airliners on the same day that airliners were hijacked in the real world didn't help...
"It's in your nature to destroy yourselves." - Terminator 2: Judgment Day