Australia stars in first edition of new ISIS magazine

The world is a dangerous place, and nuclear war isn't the only threat.
User avatar
Worldwatcher
Power poster 1
Power poster 1
Posts: 2249
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2015 2:22 am

Fri Sep 09, 2016 7:41 am

While the first edition includes a range of recycled articles from its Arabic-language magazine, Rumiyah also carried a feature article on a dead Australian jihadi (obviously written by an Australian, or by an author with an Australian adviser). Australia has featured as a target in both Al Qaeda and ISIS publications before, but often in generic terms; this time there was some real specificity. Not only were they willing to engage in a bit of alliteration by asking people to target suburbs starting with the letter B (Brunswick, Broadmeadows, Bankstown and Bondi), they also named targets that would be iconic to Australians (the Melbourne and Sydney Cricket Grounds), as well as the Opera House, an international Australian symbol. They also took the opportunity to criticise two Australian Islamic figures who they believe had betrayed the jihadist cause.
Source: http://www.lowyinterpreter.org/post/201 ... azine.aspx

Response from PM:
Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull says recent calls for terrorist attacks at Australian landmarks should be taken seriously.

Speaking in Laos, Mr Turnbull said the calls for violence in Australia represented desperation on the part of the Islamic extremists.

"As Daesh (Islamic State) comes under more and more pressure on the battlefield in Syria and in Iraq — as it is rolled back, as its territory is being taken back — it will resort to terrorist activities outside of the Middle East," he said.

"The capacity of Daesh, of course, is much less than they proclaim it to be.
"But we do have to be very alert to the actions of these lone actors — individuals who, as I've described in the national security statement last week, for a variety of reasons, may be radicalised.
Source: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-09-07/t ... at/7821218

Also, possibly linked:
Sydney Opera House threat: Man charged with making threats on forecourt


A man accused of making threats at the Sydney Opera House has been ordered to undergo a mental health assessment.
Police said the 18-year-old man, from Narwee in Sydney's south-west, was behaving suspiciously in the Opera House forecourt on Thursday.
His backpack was taken for forensic examination, police said.
A statement from NSW Police said the man was interviewed and charged with threatening to destroy or damage property.
Police have also searched the man's home and seized a number of items "for examination", the statement said.
"Officers from the NSW Police Terrorism Investigations Squad commenced an investigation into the incident," the statement said.
"Police are reassuring the community there is no ongoing threat in relation to this incident.
"Anyone with information should always come forward no matter how small or insignificant you may think that may be."
The man appeared at Central Local Court via video link today.
The magistrate ordered a full psychiatric assessment, which will be carried out at St Vincent's Hospital.
Source: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-09-09/s ... ts/7828460
"There's a cold war coming,
On the radio I heard
Baby it's a violent world"

- Coldplay, Life In Technicolor II