New Theme

Feedback to the Admin and Staff of the DEFCON Warning System. Comments and suggestions welcome regarding the System or the Message Board or any part of the DEFCON Warning System.
hrng
Power poster 1
Power poster 1
Posts: 2690
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2015 10:15 pm
Location: Middle of nowhere, Australia

Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:37 am

User level setting of theme seems to be disabled - I can't find any way in my settings to change to a different theme.

Legibility of the new theme is terrible D:

Librarylady
.
Posts: 66
Joined: Sun Apr 09, 2017 4:22 pm
Location: NYC

Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:55 am

Terrible is putting it mildly!!!

DEFCONWarningSystem
Director
Director
Posts: 6020
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:26 pm
Contact:

Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:00 am

hrng wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:37 am
User level setting of theme seems to be disabled - I can't find any way in my settings to change to a different theme.

Legibility of the new theme is terrible D:
The ability to change themes has been disabled for the time being.

What is wrong with the legibility?

hrng
Power poster 1
Power poster 1
Posts: 2690
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2015 10:15 pm
Location: Middle of nowhere, Australia

Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:11 am

DEFCONWarningSystem wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:00 am
What is wrong with the legibility?
Lime green = bad in any design.

Beyond that, there is a mish-mash of high contrast and low contrast elements. Post text is low contrast vs the overly contrasted post titles and metadata, which means the eyes are drawn to things that they should not be drawn to.

Dark vs light themes should also be a user choice - dark backgrounds work great for night browsing, but look terrible in the middle of the day. Eye strain can result from the misuse of dark during day and light at night.

I could go on, but I really should get back to work :D

RiffRaff
DEFCON Data Analyst
DEFCON Data Analyst
Posts: 2191
Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:09 pm
Location: Indianapolis, Indiana, US
Contact:

Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:13 am

DEFCONWarningSystem wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:00 am
hrng wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:37 am
User level setting of theme seems to be disabled - I can't find any way in my settings to change to a different theme.

Legibility of the new theme is terrible D:
The ability to change themes has been disabled for the time being.

What is wrong with the legibility?
Not a damn thing. This will make the site easier to read in the middle of the night, since a website with a white background is like staring into a halogen bulb.
"It's in your nature to destroy yourselves." - Terminator 2: Judgment Day

hrng
Power poster 1
Power poster 1
Posts: 2690
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2015 10:15 pm
Location: Middle of nowhere, Australia

Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:21 am

RiffRaff wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:13 am
Not a damn thing. This will make the site easier to read in the middle of the night, since a website with a white background is like staring into a halogen bulb.
Yeah now it's like staring at the night sky with huge green neon lights shining in your eyes :D

Obreid
Regular contributor
Posts: 1199
Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2016 1:51 am

Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:44 am

hrng wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:21 am
RiffRaff wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:13 am
Not a damn thing. This will make the site easier to read in the middle of the night, since a website with a white background is like staring into a halogen bulb.
Yeah now it's like staring at the night sky with huge green neon lights shining in your eyes :D
NV goggles

RiffRaff
DEFCON Data Analyst
DEFCON Data Analyst
Posts: 2191
Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:09 pm
Location: Indianapolis, Indiana, US
Contact:

Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:18 am

hrng wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:21 am
RiffRaff wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:13 am
Not a damn thing. This will make the site easier to read in the middle of the night, since a website with a white background is like staring into a halogen bulb.
Yeah now it's like staring at the night sky with huge green neon lights shining in your eyes :D
LOL. You say that like it's a bad thing...
"It's in your nature to destroy yourselves." - Terminator 2: Judgment Day

Librarylady
.
Posts: 66
Joined: Sun Apr 09, 2017 4:22 pm
Location: NYC

Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:32 am

There's a reason most text is black on a white background -- because it's easier to read!!! Unless you're a a 14 year old you don't consider a black back background with neon green highlights a plus, you consider it a distraction and start reaching for the Advil.

RiffRaff
DEFCON Data Analyst
DEFCON Data Analyst
Posts: 2191
Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:09 pm
Location: Indianapolis, Indiana, US
Contact:

Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:34 am

Librarylady wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:32 am
There's a reason most text is black on a white background -- because it's easier to read!!! Unless you're a a 14 year old you don't consider a black back background with neon green highlights a plus, you consider it a distraction and start reaching for the Advil.
That is absolutely true for printed text. When dealing with a computer screen, however, white text on black background is much easier on the eyes and leads to much less strain.
"It's in your nature to destroy yourselves." - Terminator 2: Judgment Day

Post Reply