Page 1 of 4

Re: Nuclear Flash duration as a yield indicator.

Posted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 4:01 am
by matty1053
Interesting. Wouldn't the boom be deafening though?

Re: Nuclear Flash duration as a yield indicator.

Posted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 5:48 am
by matty1053
Oswald wrote:
matty1053 wrote:Interesting. Wouldn't the boom be deafening though?
Plug your ears. You'll still hear it. I'd push all the air out of my lungs I could and hit the dirt with my feet facing the blast if I couldn't find decent cover.
What would the wind speed approximately be? Saying the Nuke was detonated 15 iles away and it was a 15 megaton

Re: Nuclear Flash duration as a yield indicator.

Posted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 1:31 pm
by hrng
matty1053 wrote:What would the wind speed approximately be? Saying the Nuke was detonated 15 iles away and it was a 15 megaton
Nukemap has got you covered: http://nuclearsecrecy.com/nukemap/

Convert the psi to equivalent wind: http://www.atomicarchive.com/Effects/effects4.shtml

And you've got something under 70mph. Nothing a house can't withstand, but would do some damage.

Re: Nuclear Flash duration as a yield indicator.

Posted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 6:54 pm
by matty1053
hrng wrote:
matty1053 wrote:What would the wind speed approximately be? Saying the Nuke was detonated 15 iles away and it was a 15 megaton
Nukemap has got you covered: http://nuclearsecrecy.com/nukemap/

Convert the psi to equivalent wind: http://www.atomicarchive.com/Effects/effects4.shtml

And you've got something under 70mph. Nothing a house can't withstand, but would do some damage.
My house survived 83mph wind gust before. I think it's fine lol. Unless the wind is a constant 70mph

Re: Nuclear Flash duration as a yield indicator.

Posted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 10:03 am
by Experiment632
Just my luck I am living in THE only target in southern Oregon.

Re: Nuclear Flash duration as a yield indicator.

Posted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 5:07 pm
by jayfeather31
Experiment632 wrote:Just my luck I am living in THE only target in southern Oregon.
I didn't know you live in Portland.

Re: Nuclear Flash duration as a yield indicator.

Posted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 6:06 pm
by Experiment632
I said "southern" Oregon. I live in Medford. I suspect the international airport on the other side of town is the target.

Re: Nuclear Flash duration as a yield indicator.

Posted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 7:09 pm
by jayfeather31
Experiment632 wrote:I said "southern" Oregon. I live in Medford. I suspect the international airport on the other side of town is the target.
...sorry, I thought Portland was in Central Southern Oregon. I just checked, and it isn't.

Kinda surprised Medford is a target.

Re: Nuclear Flash duration as a yield indicator.

Posted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:18 am
by Experiment632
jayfeather31 wrote:
Experiment632 wrote:I said "southern" Oregon. I live in Medford. I suspect the international airport on the other side of town is the target.
...sorry, I thought Portland was in Central Southern Oregon. I just checked, and it isn't.

Kinda surprised Medford is a target.
Like I said, despite Medford having less then 100,000 people, the International Airport is the likely reason. My hometown of Chico is slightly bigger and has a municipal airport yet the university likely is the reason it too is a legitimate target.

Re: Nuclear Flash duration as a yield indicator.

Posted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 3:10 pm
by killjoy27
Fun I live near NYC, and, obviously this area will be hit with numerous devices. My town in particular does not have a target, but my College, 10 miles away has a small Municipal Airport nearby.(Nat Guard Armoury nearby) So may be targeted.

The theres the big NYC Metro targets, JFK, Newark, LGA (won't be missed) Ft. DIX (Distance away, but still close enough.) MacArthur (has a Nat Guard Unit there)