Nuclear Flash duration as a yield indicator.

Address radiological activity of all types
RiffRaff
DEFCON Data Analyst
DEFCON Data Analyst

Fri Apr 29, 2016 7:16 am

Experiment632 wrote:
jayfeather31 wrote:
Experiment632 wrote:I said "southern" Oregon. I live in Medford. I suspect the international airport on the other side of town is the target.
...sorry, I thought Portland was in Central Southern Oregon. I just checked, and it isn't.

Kinda surprised Medford is a target.
Like I said, despite Medford having less then 100,000 people, the International Airport is the likely reason. My hometown of Chico is slightly bigger and has a municipal airport yet the university likely is the reason it too is a legitimate target.
Any airport with a runway long enough to handle our strategic bombers (6,000 feet if I remember correctly) is a secondary nuclear target.
"It's in your nature to destroy yourselves." - Terminator 2: Judgment Day

DEFCONWarningSystem
Director
Director

Fri Apr 29, 2016 4:26 pm

RiffRaff wrote:Any airport with a runway long enough to handle our strategic bombers (6,000 feet if I remember correctly) is a secondary nuclear target.
It's 10,000 feet, unless they've changed that over the years.

RiffRaff
DEFCON Data Analyst
DEFCON Data Analyst

Fri Apr 29, 2016 4:39 pm

DEFCONWarningSystem wrote:
RiffRaff wrote:Any airport with a runway long enough to handle our strategic bombers (6,000 feet if I remember correctly) is a secondary nuclear target.
It's 10,000 feet, unless they've changed that over the years.
You might be right. Just couldn't remember off the top of my head.
"It's in your nature to destroy yourselves." - Terminator 2: Judgment Day

JackArmstronTAG

Wed Jun 08, 2016 6:04 pm

The data on this posting is correct. Though the alditude of the blast and the target and other minor factors can have effects, the values defined match section 7.89 of "The Effects of Nuclear Weapons 1977" which is the authoritatice unclassified reference on this subjet.

Those who reject the information do a discervice to all. If they doubt the statements, do some simple research and determine the correct answers.

I do think the monicer 'tinhatranch' does naturally gerneate question along with humor... all the more to test with fact then confirm or corret.

Very respectfully,

- Jack Armstrong

hydrazine

Sat Jun 11, 2016 6:26 am

For any speculations on targeting you should also consider the possible and probable weapon type. Chinese have higher yield warheads but they have fewer of them. Meaning they likely will not spend 2-5 Mt (definitely not bigger) on a secondary airport target.

Most likely the secondary airport would be hit with russian ICBM MIRV with yield like 750 kt. If there's possibility that strategic bombers are stationed there, several warheads (like 5) could be spread out to crater the runway and catch escaping bombers in air.

Using several MIRV warheads is much more efficient than using one single multi-megaton weapon. Which is why modern nukes are smaller and more accurate.

JohnStone
Power poster 1
Power poster 1

Sat Jun 11, 2016 11:32 pm

Could be useful, aside from the fact that looking at the flash would likely blind a person. But if they're that close, they're either going to be dead or not a happy camper anyway.

Zanting
Power poster 1
Power poster 1

Sun Jun 12, 2016 2:57 am

JohnStone wrote:Could be useful, aside from the fact that looking at the flash would likely blind a person. But if they're that close, they're either going to be dead or not a happy camper anyway.
I may be wrong but a welding helmet or shield could possibly allow you to view the flash, you can look at the flash from the side too, like in the corner of a room for example. Depends on how much it's blocked by the environment and horizon as well.
☢ It's The Current Year ☢

JohnStone
Power poster 1
Power poster 1

Sun Jun 12, 2016 3:02 am

Zanting wrote:
JohnStone wrote:Could be useful, aside from the fact that looking at the flash would likely blind a person. But if they're that close, they're either going to be dead or not a happy camper anyway.
I may be wrong but a welding helmet or shield could possibly allow you to view the flash, you can look at the flash from the side too, like in the corner of a room for example. Depends on how much it's blocked by the environment and horizon as well.
Maybe, but I doubt I'd say, "Honey, get the helmet! I need to start counting!" during a nuclear attack.

Survive = Low Yield

Don't Survive = Doesn't matter

Zanting
Power poster 1
Power poster 1

Sun Jun 12, 2016 3:07 am

JohnStone wrote:Maybe, but I doubt I'd say, "Honey, get the helmet! I need to start counting!" during a nuclear attack.

Survive = Low Yield

Where I live and where the closest possible target to me is I'd only die if it was anywhere from a 20 to 40 Mt warhead; akin to the SS-18 Satan, or newer RS-28 Sarmat.

Although due to atmospheric refraction I might die anyway.
☢ It's The Current Year ☢

JohnStone
Power poster 1
Power poster 1

Sun Jun 12, 2016 3:35 am

Zanting wrote:
JohnStone wrote:Maybe, but I doubt I'd say, "Honey, get the helmet! I need to start counting!" during a nuclear attack.

Survive = Low Yield

Where I live and where the closest possible target to me is I'd only die if it was anywhere from a 20 to 40 Mt warhead; akin to the SS-18 Satan, or newer RS-28 Sarmat.

Although due to atmospheric refraction I might die anyway.
I'm nowhere near a major city nor any military bases. Nearest city doesn't seem to have any strategic value, kind of small...population about 100k. Oakridge may be a target, it's about 150 miles away, the winds would hopefully go north of us from there. We do need to worry about the winds from Atlanta, depending on the yield and weather at the time I guess. That website that lets you test nuke ranges and stuff says we'd be okay, but I don't know. I'm surrounded by the great smokies, so I'm hoping that will offer some protection. I doubt I'd see any flashes, other than maybe seeing the sky lit up. As for a direct hit, they'd have to accidently drop one of those bad boys on top of us...there is nothing here of value. But I'm not anxious to find out.