Spokane, WA: Workers' radiation exposure halts nuke plant demolition

Address radiological activity of all types
DEFCONWarningSystem
Director
Director

Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:07 pm

Seven decades after making key portions of the atomic bomb dropped on Nagasaki, Japan, workers at the Hanford Nuclear Reservation are being exposed to radiation as they tear down buildings that helped create the nation's nuclear arsenal.

Dozens of workers demolishing a plutonium processing plant from the 1940s have inhaled or ingested radioactive particles in the past year, and even carried some of that radiation into their vehicles.

The incidents have prompted the federal government, along with state regulators, to halt the demolition of the Plutonium Finishing Plant until a safe plan can be developed. The contamination has also shaken confidence in the massive Hanford cleanup, which costs the federal treasury around $2 billion a year.

The U.S. Department of Energy has launched an independent investigation into the spread of radiation at the plant.

From Fox News

Green
Regular contributor

Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:51 pm

Ironic that yuppies will pay $15 dollars a pound for columbia river salmon.
It never ceases to amaze me how little this issue is talked about, and how many people are totally clueless about it.

entropolis

Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:20 am

I almost literally live next door to Hanford. The plutonium finishing plant remains are a mere ten klicks from my front door. My very strong impression is that while the original worker claim of toxic off-gassing earlier this decade was legitimate, that the overall (if you'll excuse the pun) PR fallout from the resulting class action lawsuit have over-primed vigilance to levels where everyone is jumping at radiological mote ghosts. I listen in on their comms quite regularly, and even evacuated my infant son to spokane when tunnel two had the partial collapse last year knowing full well it's capacity to continue and eject radioactive dust particles downwind to where we were located. I also keep a full emergency stack of IOSAT just in case, so I do not feel my fingers-to-pulse vigilance of the site is either over, or underactive...But you may wish to grain of salt a lot of these media reports, they're primed for hysteria and often lack the requisite physics understanding to interpret correctly. Hanford maintains a pretty good twitter feed and public advisory RSS if you need to do any veracity checks. While it's not much in the way for communicating detailed specifics, it gives any interested civvies a good one-shot overview.

What I found of far greater concern in recent times was some complete skin-crawling level of moron sending "proof" to his boss of his cleanup detail by doing a cell-phone snapshot of three spent rods all within fifty centimeters of each other. On a friggin slick concrete FLOOR. They were both rightly sacked after DoE investigation. I was tempted to call to have them both shot by firing squad. LOL. Yikes. Y'know? It's little near misses like THAT that give me PTSD sweats.