Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:43 am

South Korea monitoring possible radiation leak from N.K. nuke test

https://twitter.com/DEFCONWSALERTS/stat ... 4692892672
" man fears time, but time fears the pyramids "

DEFCONWarningSystem
Director
Director

Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:31 am

South Korea said they had not detected any radiation as of Wed morning. But in the evening said they now have.

Note that the all clear came from South Korea's nuclear safety agency while the new report comes from the Unification Minister.

Drumboy44
DWS Staff
DWS Staff

Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:33 am

#CTBTO data ATM modelling shows day-by-day trajectory of potential radionuclide release after #DPRK announced #NuclearTest – analysts ready!
https://twitter.com/SinaZerbo/status/905264417683763202

Butch Coolidge

Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:17 pm

Here's a thought - the damage done to the mountain where they test may hamper further tests. Even KJU has to know that if they pop off another one and it contaminates Russia or China that what little good will he has left from his neighbors will be up in smoke.

That'd be kinda cool. Say he irradiates Vladivostok and Russia kicks the door down...

Is he that stupid? I don't know. But in any case the mountain test site being compromised opens up new difficulties for NK in my opinion.

apollonights

Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:40 pm

Butch Coolidge wrote:
Here's a thought - the damage done to the mountain where they test may hamper further tests. Even KJU has to know that if they pop off another one and it contaminates Russia or China that what little good will he has left from his neighbors will be up in smoke.

That'd be kinda cool. Say he irradiates Vladivostok and Russia kicks the door down...

Is he that stupid? I don't know. But in any case the mountain test site being compromised opens up new difficulties for NK in my opinion.
Or they just escalate and do an atmospheric test in the Pacific to prove they can mount a thermonuclear device to a ICBM...

DEFCONWarningSystem
Director
Director

Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:26 pm

So far still no reports of radiation. I don't know where the Unification Minister is getting his information.

Butch Coolidge

Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:00 pm

apollonights wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:40 pm
Butch Coolidge wrote:

Or they just escalate and do an atmospheric test in the Pacific to prove they can mount a thermonuclear device to a ICBM...
Uh, yeah, I reckon if they do that then the US may well demonstrate some of it's own hardware.

Vortex

Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:57 pm

China detects higher radiation levels after N. Korea nuke test

http://www.arirang.com/News/News_View.asp?nseq=208421

DEFCONWarningSystem
Director
Director

Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:21 am

Can we get any more information on this?

Drumboy44
DWS Staff
DWS Staff

Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:30 am

China has never publicly reported contamination from North Korean nuclear testing. In private Chinese officials have expressed increasing concern about the environmental impact, according to diplomats and analysts.

After a meeting in 2013, then-South Korean President Park Geun-hye said that Chinese Premier Li Keqiang told her that Pyongyang’s test that year contaminated the Yalu River that forms the border with China, according to a South Korean presidential spokesperson. China’s foreign and environment ministries didn’t respond to requests for comment on that conversation.

North Korea’s state-controlled news agency said on Sunday that the test didn’t result in leaking of radioactive materials and had no “adverse impact on the surrounding ecological environment.”

Daily notices from China’s nuclear safety and environmental agencies said no traces of radiation have been detected. Japanese nuclear regulators also said on Tuesday radiation-sensing aircraft found no abnormal readings over the Sea of Japan, just east of the Korean Peninsula.

Pyongyang performs its nuclear tests in solid rock beneath a steep mountain. The depth of the blast would make a large radiation leak unlikely even if there were a cave-in, said Steven Gibbons, a seismologist at Norwegian geological monitoring agency Norsar who specializes in nuclear testing.

“There’s a lot of mountain to go before you reach air,” said Mr. Gibbons. It will likely take days or weeks before radiation from this test is detected, if at all, he said, noting that radioactivity was only detected after two previous North Korean nuclear tests, in 2006 and 2013.

A potential leak would most likely be radioactive xenon gas and, based on weather patterns, would spread into northeastern China and then across far eastern Russia over this week, said Lassina Zerbo, head of the Vienna-based Comprehensive Test Ban Treaty Organization

Along the 880-mile border separating China from North Korea is an active volcano, known as Mt. Paektu to Koreans and Mt. Changbai in China. While previous tests had no impact on it, some volcanologists say a larger underground blast could trigger an eruption. Other experts call that unlikely.

Residents of border areas have grown accustomed to tensions with North Korea, and periodic nuclear or missile tests. But Sunday’s blast, which was estimated to be as much as 10 times more powerful than the last test a year ago, raised the anxiety level...

https://www.wsj.com/amp/articles/china- ... 1504690205

*Also kinda convenient that Putin was in the area for a two-day Eastern Economic Forum conference in Vladivostok
https://twitter.com/CivMilAir/status/906026005063581700
https://twitter.com/CivMilAir/status/906030341038628864
https://twitter.com/CivMilAir/status/905964272554999808

(Vladivostok International Airport being a pretty busy airport) top 15 i think out of 70 something