What is your personal "DEFCON Level"?

Thoughts, suggestions, and advice on what to do if the unthinkable happens.

What is your personal DEFCON level?

You may select 1 option

View results
KimPossible
Regular contributor

Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:02 pm

DEFCONWarningSystem wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:56 pm
KimPossible wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:43 pm
1.) The US military of all branches and there " readiness levels" have never gone on DEFCON 5 not ever ever once since 9/11. Also the U.S military has made staments on how the alert level will never be at DEFCON 5 ever again for many many many reasons.
Could you source that please?
You don't have to be a genius to see and read articles from every year since 9/11 the US military has been on high alert and hasn't calmed since, especially with a lot of occurring world affairs that just keep popping up like the game whack a mole.

Here is somewhat relevant articles linked to there website I have found hastefully,
Your Department of Defense is adapting, because we do not want to be dominant and at the same time irrelevant. And I offer this problem statement for what must guide our efforts: How do we maintain a safe and effective nuclear deterrent so these weapons are never used and our nonproliferation efforts can be recharged?
Second, how to maintain a decisive conventional force at the same time as that nuclear deterrent, one that will include space and cyberspace capability, to deter war or end it decisively if conflict occurs.
And third, we must at the same time maintain an irregular capability so we can fight across the spectrum of conflict.
This is our problem statement: how to maintain a safe and secure nuclear deterrent and maintain a decisive conventional force that can also fight irregular warfare.

"The Pentagon budget rode on the coat-tails of 9/11. Pretty much whatever they asked for was given, because we were at war,” says William Hartung of the New America Foundation, a Washington-based think tank. “In absolute terms, military spending is higher than it has been since world war two – it is higher than during the Korean war.”
Since taking office in 2009, President Barack Obama has changed little, extending America’s military commitment in Afghanistan before launching a phased withdrawal after the killing of Osama bin Laden on May 1 this year. He has so far only trimmed defence spending around the edges, and has kept many of the security measures put in place by Mr Bush.

Note, at work and the first things that come up on any search engines first page is crap about 9/11 and the day of 9/11. So give me a day and I can credit all my statements with sources. Thanks. Second last note, if people think nuclear attacks come in the forums of a nation with a leader and borders you have a serious problem with yourself. If anything Nuclear Terror is much greater threat to America atm then even DPRK. Do some reading, its really not hard at all to make Atomic "Suitcases" if your funded enough.
There is a war on woman! #VoteThemOut

DEFCONWarningSystem
Director
Director

Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:32 am

None of those things you quoted state what DEFCON level the military is at, which is what I was asking you to source.

KimPossible
Regular contributor

Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:10 am

DEFCONWarningSystem wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:32 am
None of those things you quoted state what DEFCON level the military is at, which is what I was asking you to source.
I can't find what I read a long time ago in regards to the US military rep quoting not current levels obviously but the recent past since 9/11. Its lost with a bunch crap about 9/11 or how security has changed since 9/11, tried advanced searches on multiple search engines and flipped many pages, no quote on the US never reverting back to the most eased level but I can HOWEVER present articles and quotes from each year since 9/11 and most likely every month too about officials mentioning of extra or heighted readiness or alert.

Back to a official making a stament on how americas readiness will never likely go back to "normal" for the very long foreseeable future & a military rep quoting about the military readiness level mostly since 9/11 (not current) but I read it and it is out there I'll keep digging. :-)
There is a war on woman! #VoteThemOut

RiffRaff
DEFCON Data Analyst
DEFCON Data Analyst

Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:43 pm

The concept of eliminating DEFCON 5 and stating that force readiness will maintain DEFCON 4 for the indeterminate, indefinite future is that DEFCON 4 then loses all meaning, as it has now become the new de facto DEFCON 5. You can't maintain an elevated alert status for long due to alert fatigue. You either need to raise it or lower it, but you can't just leave it in one spot indefinitely. The human brain adapts and the whole point of being at DEFCON 4 vanishes.

It will be even worse for civilians. If we maintain DEFCON 4 indefinitely, it might be technically correct, but people will adapt, including the staff, and it becomes pointless.
"It's in your nature to destroy yourselves." - Terminator 2: Judgment Day

Bingo

Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:17 am

RiffRaff wrote:
The concept of eliminating DEFCON 5 and stating that force readiness will maintain DEFCON 4 for the indeterminate, indefinite future is that DEFCON 4 then loses all meaning, as it has now become the new de facto DEFCON 5. You can't maintain an elevated alert status for long due to alert fatigue. You either need to raise it or lower it, but you can't just leave it in one spot indefinitely. The human brain adapts and the whole point of being at DEFCON 4 vanishes.

It will be even worse for civilians. If we maintain DEFCON 4 indefinitely, it might be technically correct, but people will adapt, including the staff, and it becomes pointless.
Exactly. Very much to my next point. What do you plan to do with the information of increased or decreased threat?

In my mind, preparing my family for what might be next is paramount. We have checklists which change with the DEFCON levels. Everyone has the main checklist, which outlines how society and importantly your neighborhood might change. Knowing these things as a family helps prevent panic, mistakes and accidents.

Each individual has specific personal tasks.
Example of low skill task for kids, empty old water storage containers and refill. When DEFCON changes, tasks ( that you decide match your readiness plan) are practiced by each individual. Practice together, within earshot. Be alert to help correct misconceptions and promote productive thoughts and actions. Teach, Coach... Pray.

Just one small example of how to productively utilize the excellent information of our level of nuclear conflict.

Please KEEP all of the 5 units of the DEFCON yardstick.
Realize that as this global war heats up, that now ruler, may shrink to a micrometer as the threat of war looms closer.

As always, just my opinion. DWS - OUTSTANDING work!

RiffRaff
DEFCON Data Analyst
DEFCON Data Analyst

Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:13 pm

Bingo wrote:
RiffRaff wrote:

What do you plan to do with the information of increased or decreased threat?
We may have to start living with the fact that DEFCON 5 carries with it a slightly increased threat level in 21st century geopolitics than it did in the 20th century. And really, when you consider the fact that the US has always been 30 minutes away from nuclear annihilation for the past six or seven decades, most of which was spent at DEFCON 5 or DEFCON 4, it puts things a little more in perspective.
"It's in your nature to destroy yourselves." - Terminator 2: Judgment Day

willrod1989

Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:25 am

RiffRaff wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:13 pm
Bingo wrote:
RiffRaff wrote:

What do you plan to do with the information of increased or decreased threat?
We may have to start living with the fact that DEFCON 5 carries with it a slightly increased threat level in 21st century geopolitics than it did in the 20th century. And really, when you consider the fact that the US has always been 30 minutes away from nuclear annihilation for the past six or seven decades, most of which was spent at DEFCON 5 or DEFCON 4, it puts things a little more in perspective.
We went through most of the Cold War hanging out at DEFCON 5, and yet the threat of nuclear annihilation was very real, especially in the 1980s. I think the problem is the fact that people are just starting to wake up to the fact that the Cold War never truly ended- we only had a two-decade period of détente. As long as nuclear weapons continue to exist, we will always be only 30 minutes away from destruction. A false alarm leading to an overreaction will send the missiles flying, even during periods of relative peace. Just look at the 1995 Norwegian rocket incident.

Elderstatesman

Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:16 am

Right now,considering the goings on with Iran ,I am posting Defcon 4. Not alarmed about much,but keeping a careful eye on things.

DEFCONWarningSystem
Director
Director

Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:48 am

Elderstatesman wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:16 am
Right now,considering the goings on with Iran ,I am posting Defcon 4. Not alarmed about much,but keeping a careful eye on things.
I'm personally sitting at a 5. Iran is nothing at the moment.

Officially, we're still at 4 because we want to give it more time to see where it might go.

Yingyang
Regular contributor

Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:58 am

I'm at 4 even though it feels like 3 at a global outlook. :roll: