Disasters & House Animals

Thoughts, suggestions, and advice on what to do if the unthinkable happens.
KimPossible
Regular contributor

Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:54 pm

Its not really talked about or probably even thought what will you do with your pets during a Disaster. Do you have plans for your little loved ones once the bombs drop? Do you have enough ration for them? Are they fit, young, and trained enough to hunt?

In any scenario are your animals tamed enough to listen and come at your command, or would you be wasting valued time chasing them to get them to safety, instead of heading for shelter or prep for impending attack.

There is one fact we all know and most of nature can out run us even with our fancy gizmos. So having animals fight nature for your food is a big benefit, but if your animal is older, or a cat and not able to hunt what poses the purpose of saving them?

Can your animal defend you from unwanted guests?.... There are a lot more things to think of but these are just from the top of my head. Please comment on what your incite is about this subject.
There is a war on woman! #VoteThemOut

RiffRaff
DEFCON Data Analyst
DEFCON Data Analyst

Fri Dec 29, 2017 2:32 pm

People are going to have to make a lot of hard decisions in an EOTWAWKI scenario. We have no children (and if we did, I would see to it that we didn't). We have a Giant Malamute and a medium sized cat, both about the same age. The Malamute can hunt small game and offers early warning/defense against intruders. She will earn her keep. Sadly, the cat doesn't do much but eat, sleep, shit, and throw up. We don't have a mouse problem, due in part to her, probably, but she won't be be worth feeding if SHTF. We do keep an emergency supply of pet food in our shelter, so it won't be an instantaneous thing. Once that runs out, though, we'll need to discuss turning her loose in the wild where she has no experience hunting or defending herself, or just putting her down as humanely as possible.

We are well-prepared to take care of our pets during a temporary crisis. But if it's going to be a long-term survival situation, anything that consumes resources without providing a tangible benefit will have to go.

Sadly, a lot of people won't understand this, to their detriment.
"It's in your nature to destroy yourselves." - Terminator 2: Judgment Day

KimPossible
Regular contributor

Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:27 pm

Yes, very well thought out and great decisive thinking. Saddly not a lot of people like you said will not understand or be able to cut lose any "third leg" that will end up holding you back or even worse causing your own demise. Animals will be a big undecided and unthought of challenge when it comes to disasters and I don't think many will be ready to depart from there little loved ones. This is why I started this thread, its tough to think or talk about as I view my animals as my own kids just like many others here i am sure. But its a eventuality that will come up during a disaster, and better to think and plan now then at the heat of the moment.
There is a war on woman! #VoteThemOut

RiffRaff
DEFCON Data Analyst
DEFCON Data Analyst

Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:41 pm

The hard decisions don't stop with animals, unfortunately. That newborn baby's crying might give away your hiding place. Not to mention, it's going to be at least 5 years before that child can start contributing to resources instead of just consuming them. The 90 year-old grandparent is in the same boat, although they might have important knowledge they can teach to others. Handicapped children or family members? Not real conducive to surviving a long-term disaster. The diabetic uncle? Once the insulin runs out, what do you do?

The only way through this is to think about it in advance, because if you don't, you'll be making emotional decisions under extreme stress rather than logical plans considered and thought out without the stress of whatever disaster has occurred. And that means almost all the decisions made will be bad ones.

At least one person in every surviving family or group is going to have to be cold enough to carry out what no one really wants to do, but is necessary for the continued survival of the group.
"It's in your nature to destroy yourselves." - Terminator 2: Judgment Day