Britain ‘four meals away from anarchy’ if cyber attack takes out power grid

Comment on articles posted to The DEFCON Warning System
DEFCONWarningSystem
Director
Director

Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:18 pm

British cities would be uninhabitable within days and the country is only a few meals from anarchy if the National Grid was taken down in a cyber attack or solar storm, disaster and security experts have warned.

Modern life is so reliant on electricity that a prolonged blackout would quickly lead to a loss of water, fuel, banking, transport and communications that would leave the country “in the Stone Age”.

The warning comes weeks after the Defence Secretary, Gavin Williamson, said Russia had been spying on the UK’s energy infrastructure and could cause “thousands and thousands and thousands” of deaths if it crippled the power supply.

America this week blamed the Russian government for a campaign of cyber attacks stretching back at least two years that targeted the US power grid.

Energy and security experts say a cyber attack is one of a number of so-called “black sky hazards” that have the potential to knock out power for days, weeks or even longer across large parts of a country, or even continent.

“I think that is a risk that is very real in the UK and it’s also neglected and that sort of scenario could happen anytime, it could happen tomorrow,” said Julius Weitzdörfe, who studies the problem at Cambridge University’s Centre for the Study of Existential Risk.

He said: “A lot of people, including in the Government are absolutely unaware what it means, even if we lose electricity for only seven days.”

He said a previous study by the UK’s security services had estimated the country is “four meals away from anarchy” because looting would erupt and civil order would start to break down as soon as people had eaten what they had in their cupboards and fridges.

Read more at Yahoo News

RiffRaff
DEFCON Data Analyst
DEFCON Data Analyst

Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:19 pm

The time span to "anarchy" is shorter in the UK than in the US due to Britons' tendency to shop for groceries far more often than Americans. They have smaller living quarters, smaller refrigerators and freezers, and tend to live within walking distance of a local grocer.

Similar studies say 72 hour to a week for America to reach that level of societal upheaval. I know my wife and I could go for a month without a trip to the grocery, and that's before we dip into our 90-day emergency food and water stores.

I've said it before here many times: The Number One fear of our local DHS is a full-scale cyberattack on utilities by another nation-state due to the lack of government effort to make them more secure. The only thing that will surprise us more when it happens is that it took so long to happen.
"It's in your nature to destroy yourselves." - Terminator 2: Judgment Day

DEFCONWarningSystem
Director
Director

Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:19 am

Try and try and try to tell people to get ready. I wonder how many are listening.

I'm not trying to be one of those off-the-grid doomsday preppers. But I am saying to be ready for a disaster. Better to be prepared and not need it, than need it and not be prepared.

RiffRaff
DEFCON Data Analyst
DEFCON Data Analyst

Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:57 am

DEFCONWarningSystem wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:19 am
Try and try and try to tell people to get ready. I wonder how many are listening.
Very few are listening. The level of apathy I run into on almost a daily basis, dismissing the need for even a simple 72-hour kit without so much as consideration for the possibilities of needing one, is frustrating. The thing of it is, prepping is no longer the realm of crazy militia members who think the government is coming for their guns. Hacking into a computer and bringing about a SHTF moment was science fiction in the 1980s. Today, it's simply accepted as one of the many monsters lurking in our national disaster closet.

I take consolation from the fact that I've done my best to educate friends and family on disaster preparation, and no matter what, my wife and I are prepared with multiple contingency plans, even if no one else is. Right now, I'm the "crazy uncle" guy in the family who's paranoid and prepping for the end of the world. At some point, I will no longer be crazy.

"A prophet is not without honor, save in his own country."
"It's in your nature to destroy yourselves." - Terminator 2: Judgment Day

willrod1989

Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:43 am

RiffRaff wrote:
Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:19 pm
The time span to "anarchy" is shorter in the UK than in the US due to Britons' tendency to shop for groceries far more often than Americans. They have smaller living quarters, smaller refrigerators and freezers, and tend to live within walking distance of a local grocer.

Similar studies say 72 hour to a week for America to reach that level of societal upheaval. I know my wife and I could go for a month without a trip to the grocery, and that's before we dip into our 90-day emergency food and water stores.

I've said it before here many times: The Number One fear of our local DHS is a full-scale cyberattack on utilities by another nation-state due to the lack of government effort to make them more secure. The only thing that will surprise us more when it happens is that it took so long to happen.
I live in a small apartment with hardly any cupboard space, but I still keep a 30 day supply of emergency food and water in the closet in my bedroom. Luckily I don't have many clothes that need to be put on hangers :lol: My folks, on the other hand, live out on a farm outside of the city, and have stockpiled about 6 months worth of food, and they have the capacity to produce more after a time. So I'm set for a "normal" natural disaster at my apartment, and my folks are preparing for the long term.