State report: Hawaii not prepared for missile attack threat

Comment on articles posted to The DEFCON Warning System
DEFCONWarningSystem
Director
Director

Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:30 pm

Hawaii is not prepared to respond in the event a nuclear ballistic missile attack.

That’s according to a comprehensive state report that looked at the false missile alert sent to all Hawaii phones on Jan. 13 and sought recommendations for preventing another false alarm — and bolstering preparedness for a threat that the state has stressed is unlikely but not impossible.

Hawaii Gov. David Ige and other officials presented the 31-page report at a news conference Tuesday, saying its 44 short- and long-term recommendations provide a road map for moving forward.

“We are identifying gaps and vulnerabilities for handling all hazards so the residents in our state can be prepared,” Ige said. “As we take these action steps described in the report we will become a stronger and more resilient community.”

The report stresses that better training, more robust plans and greater coordination between the state and federal government is needed to prepare for an attack — and make sure the state doesn’t send out another false alarm.

It also urges the state to keep its ballistic missile preparedness campaign on hold (except for monthly siren tests) until a plan can be put in place to analyze chemical, biological, radiogical and nuclear threats to Hawaii — and until the majority of residents know “what to do, where to go and when to do it” in the event of an attack.

That means the campaign could be offline for months.

“It is important to note that HI-EMA (Hawaii Emergency Management Agency) is prepared for and stands ready to immediately respond to and provide support to the counties of Hawaii ensuring rapid recovery from natural and man-made disasters — with the exception of nuclear capable ballistic missile attack,” the report said.

Brig. Gen. Kenneth S. Hara, the state’s deputy adjutant general, wrote the report with a team of advisers — and they finished it earlier than the 60 days the governor gave them.

Read more at Hawaiian News Now

Maven

Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:49 pm

No place is prepared for a missile attack. Missile defense doesn't catch every missile, and it only takes one landfall...

DEFCONWarningSystem
Director
Director

Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:25 am

Maven wrote:
No place is prepared for a missile attack. Missile defense doesn't catch every missile, and it only takes one landfall...
Except for high priority targets, each target only gets one missile. So even if missile defense doesn't get them all, isn't some better than none?

KimPossible
Regular contributor

Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:02 am

DEFCONWarningSystem wrote:
Maven wrote:
Except for high priority targets, each target only gets one missile. So even if missile defense doesn't get them all, isn't some better than none?
No because honestly, if 20 nukes come our way and only shoot 10 down, you still have killed half the American population. To me 10 versus 20 makes little difference where still royally fucked.

With the tests our missile defense has gone through, I honestly doubt that even if 5 missiles came our at once we couldn't even shoot down even one. The US barely can shoot JUST 1 missile down on a planned trajectory path, and unrealistic live intercept scenarios for the system.

So if we can barley shoot one missile down on a planned flight path the system knows, there really is no chance to shoot down even two missiles if a group of missiles head our way.

No one, no country can truly be prepared for nuclear war, because nothing can stop the raw devastation that is just as powerful as our own solar systems star.

Let me put it this way, do we have anything that can withstand going through a star? No, nothing in the universe can withstand the intense raw power of Nuclear Fusion.
There is a war on woman! #VoteThemOut

RiffRaff
DEFCON Data Analyst
DEFCON Data Analyst

Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:10 am

If you happen to live in the city that was the target of a missile that did get successfully intercepted, you would probably be grateful for that interception, even if five other missiles made it through to other cities. Not to mention the fact that you can't just develop something as complicated as an ABM system without testing, failing, redeveloping, testing, failing, redeveloping, ad nauseum. Reagan's entire concept behind SDI was that if you have a 100% effective missile defense system, missiles become irrelevant, thereby reducing the threat of nuclear war as well as the number of nuclear weapons on the planet. Therefore, you don't scrap a defensive program just because it doesn't work right out of the box.
"It's in your nature to destroy yourselves." - Terminator 2: Judgment Day

KimPossible
Regular contributor

Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:21 am

RiffRaff wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:10 am
If you happen to live in the city that was the target of a missile that did get successfully intercepted, you would probably be grateful for that interception, even if five other missiles made it through to other cities. Not to mention the fact that you can't just develop something as complicated as an ABM system without testing, failing, redeveloping, testing, failing, redeveloping, ad nauseum. Reagan's entire concept behind SDI was that if you have a 100% effective missile defense system, missiles become irrelevant, thereby reducing the threat of nuclear war as well as the number of nuclear weapons on the planet. Therefore, you don't scrap a defensive program just because it doesn't work right out of the box.
No, missile defense is a joke and will not ever reduce nuclear missiles or reduce the risk of nuclear war BECAUSE country's will then develop better missiles that can evade interception. You would therefore start a missile race between super powers raising the chance of nuclear war even far greater. Not reducing.... Think.

Now you said I would be grateful if my city was spared by a interception but 5 other cities got hit. Honestly I would be better off if my city got hit because I would have radioactive fallout falling on me from the other 5, the entire US would have Zero control or order, no clean water source, no clean food, I might as well already be dead then like almost all Americans would be in this case.

No matter how you put it, its all just as bad no matter how many bombs are dropped or not. Again there will never be a missile defense because country's will just develop better missiles and so on and so fourth. There for making any missile defense a joke. All the facts in front of us say its a joke and will never ever be reliable and will only cause further tensions with Russia and China.

RiffRaff
DEFCON Data Analyst
DEFCON Data Analyst

Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:19 pm

We will have to agree to disagree. I do agree that missile defense as it stands now is not reliable. However, technology will eventually overcome the obstacles and ICBMs will become as irrelevant as swords and spears in warfare. Will that happen in our lifetime? I think so, but there's no way to know for sure.

Also, a nuclear war is survivable, radioactive fallout notwithstanding. Would the world population be drastically reduced within the first few months afterward? Absolutely. Would it be an extinction level event? No; the human species would survive, even if it's only a few hundred thousand scattered around the globe in remote locations. Would survival be easy or pleasant? Probably not; kind of depends on location.

Hopefully, you and I will live long enough to continue to debate the issue.
"It's in your nature to destroy yourselves." - Terminator 2: Judgment Day

KimPossible
Regular contributor

Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:54 pm

RiffRaff wrote:
Hopefully, you and I will live long enough to continue to debate the issue.
Indeed.
RiffRaff wrote:
We will have to agree to disagree.
Quite so. :)

Note, you didn't mention or note yourself that there will be a missile race if the US keeps pressing this missile defense. I am telling you it will go nowhere and missile defense will never be fully reliable BECAUSE other countries will simply build better more complex missiles and better more complex delivery systems to evade interception causing a new arms race which in turn would raise tensions even further then what they already are with Russia and China.

Gen Jack D. Ripper
Regular contributor

Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:56 pm

DEFCONWarningSystem wrote:
Maven wrote:
Pearl Harbor/Hickam Joint Base is probably a priority target. And it's damn close to Honolulu.

Green
Regular contributor

Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:42 pm

The government is incentivizing companies to build something more effective big time. One of the things that truely makes the west great is, capitolisms effect of innovation.
These ABM missile contracts the government is offering are certainly very competitive.
multiple billions of dollars is definitely a good motivator.
who do you think built israels "david's sling" and "iron dome"