Should U.S. be preparing for a North Korean nuclear strike on the West Coast?

Comment on articles posted to The DEFCON Warning System
bpmprocolo
.
Posts: 48
Joined: Sat Sep 17, 2016 9:56 pm
Location: KCOS - Colorado Spgs

Re: Should U.S. be preparing for a North Korean nuclear strike on the West Coast?

Post by bpmprocolo » Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:27 am

The single best thing Americans can do, is to be ready for a 14-day period without water/sewer, food/cooking, medical help/drugs, or electricity/information. A prudent step is to have: a mini camp stove, a means to light it, and Sterno fuel, a Sawyer Mini water filter, folding shovel, and all required supplies to sit out 14 days in an area of refuge.

User avatar
RiffRaff
Regular contributor
Posts: 458
Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:09 pm
Location: Indianapolis, Indiana, US

Re: Should U.S. be preparing for a North Korean nuclear strike on the West Coast?

Post by RiffRaff » Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:41 pm

bpmprocolo wrote:The single best thing Americans can do, is to be ready for a 14-day period without water/sewer, food/cooking, medical help/drugs, or electricity/information. A prudent step is to have: a mini camp stove, a means to light it, and Sterno fuel, a Sawyer Mini water filter, folding shovel, and all required supplies to sit out 14 days in an area of refuge.
14-day would be minimum in my opinion. I always advise 90 days.
"It's in your nature to destroy yourselves." - Terminator 2: Judgment Day

User avatar
ThunderStealer
Regular contributor
Posts: 1028
Joined: Sun Mar 22, 2015 1:01 am

Re: Should U.S. be preparing for a North Korean nuclear strike on the West Coast?

Post by ThunderStealer » Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:49 pm

RiffRaff wrote:
ThunderStealer wrote:In the age of terrorism you'd think that CD would be more prevalent among society, but no. There's always the naysayers in the crowd convincing everyone that the threat is blown out of proportion, that none of this is applicable, "when's the last time we were invaded? you know the cold war's over right? oh you'll never have to use this, the government will take care of us and they know more about what's going on than we do, so stop worrying and go live your life".
It took the government over 72 hours to get drinking water to the Dome in New Orleans after Katrina. And Civil Defense in the 60s was a joke. Oh, look! The flash from a 5 MT detonation over your city. Just Duck & Cover, wait for the wind to die down, then dust yourself off and grab a beer. Our government's concept of disaster preparation has always been historically laughable.

Make no mistake: The only person responsible for your safety when the SHTF is you.
I never understood duck and cover, other than you're lowest to the ground and MIGHT not get hit with debris if you're far enough away from the blast. Other than that, you're a crispy critter in the fetal position. I do like the "grab a beer" part, we need to integrate that more into our plans.
"Rules of the day, if the car gets immobilized, start shooting. Nobody gets traded, everybody dies." - Body of Lies

"Sir, rules of engagement."
"We're already engaged" - Tears of the Sun

Obreid
Regular contributor
Posts: 429
Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2016 1:51 am

Re: Should U.S. be preparing for a North Korean nuclear strike on the West Coast?

Post by Obreid » Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:55 pm

ThunderStealer wrote:
RiffRaff wrote:
ThunderStealer wrote:In the age of terrorism you'd think that CD would be more prevalent among society, but no. There's always the naysayers in the crowd convincing everyone that the threat is blown out of proportion, that none of this is applicable, "when's the last time we were invaded? you know the cold war's over right? oh you'll never have to use this, the government will take care of us and they know more about what's going on than we do, so stop worrying and go live your life".
It took the government over 72 hours to get drinking water to the Dome in New Orleans after Katrina. And Civil Defense in the 60s was a joke. Oh, look! The flash from a 5 MT detonation over your city. Just Duck & Cover, wait for the wind to die down, then dust yourself off and grab a beer. Our government's concept of disaster preparation has always been historically laughable.

Make no mistake: The only person responsible for your safety when the SHTF is you.
I never understood duck and cover, other than you're lowest to the ground and MIGHT not get hit with debris if you're far enough away from the blast. Other than that, you're a crispy critter in the fetal position. I do like the "grab a beer" part, we need to integrate that more into our plans.
Shorter shadow

User avatar
ThunderStealer
Regular contributor
Posts: 1028
Joined: Sun Mar 22, 2015 1:01 am

Re: Should U.S. be preparing for a North Korean nuclear strike on the West Coast?

Post by ThunderStealer » Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:36 pm

Obreid wrote:
ThunderStealer wrote:
RiffRaff wrote:
It took the government over 72 hours to get drinking water to the Dome in New Orleans after Katrina. And Civil Defense in the 60s was a joke. Oh, look! The flash from a 5 MT detonation over your city. Just Duck & Cover, wait for the wind to die down, then dust yourself off and grab a beer. Our government's concept of disaster preparation has always been historically laughable.

Make no mistake: The only person responsible for your safety when the SHTF is you.
I never understood duck and cover, other than you're lowest to the ground and MIGHT not get hit with debris if you're far enough away from the blast. Other than that, you're a crispy critter in the fetal position. I do like the "grab a beer" part, we need to integrate that more into our plans.
Shorter shadow
:lol: :lol: :lol:
"Rules of the day, if the car gets immobilized, start shooting. Nobody gets traded, everybody dies." - Body of Lies

"Sir, rules of engagement."
"We're already engaged" - Tears of the Sun

rudemarine
.
Posts: 248
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2016 5:48 pm

Re: Should U.S. be preparing for a North Korean nuclear strike on the West Coast?

Post by rudemarine » Sun May 28, 2017 10:38 pm

The Snowflakes in California to Washington state would never do anything for themselves anyway. The US dismantled Civil Defense for nukes at the same time they removed the massive Nike missiles sites that surrounded every big city and base. There has to be one big reason for it. They either have some way to prevent any ICBM from hitting the US, that they do not want to tell anyone about or they know it wont happen. I know after the FBI stole Teslas documents anything is possible, he made a weapon that would make nukes irrelevant but never gave the prints to any nation knowing it would be used for offense not defense.

apollonights
.
Posts: 50
Joined: Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:46 pm

Re: Should U.S. be preparing for a North Korean nuclear strike on the West Coast?

Post by apollonights » Mon May 29, 2017 4:44 am

ThunderStealer wrote:
Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:49 pm
RiffRaff wrote:
ThunderStealer wrote:In the age of terrorism you'd think that CD would be more prevalent among society, but no. There's always the naysayers in the crowd convincing everyone that the threat is blown out of proportion, that none of this is applicable, "when's the last time we were invaded? you know the cold war's over right? oh you'll never have to use this, the government will take care of us and they know more about what's going on than we do, so stop worrying and go live your life".
It took the government over 72 hours to get drinking water to the Dome in New Orleans after Katrina. And Civil Defense in the 60s was a joke. Oh, look! The flash from a 5 MT detonation over your city. Just Duck & Cover, wait for the wind to die down, then dust yourself off and grab a beer. Our government's concept of disaster preparation has always been historically laughable.

Make no mistake: The only person responsible for your safety when the SHTF is you.
I never understood duck and cover, other than you're lowest to the ground and MIGHT not get hit with debris if you're far enough away from the blast. Other than that, you're a crispy critter in the fetal position. I do like the "grab a beer" part, we need to integrate that more into our plans.
One of the myths of Duck and Cover is that it wasn't an effective strategy during the time period it was released. In 1951 thermonuclear weapons didn't exist just simple atom bombs like what North Korea has today. If your city was hit by one in 1951 you had a relatively high chance of survival. Taking actions such as duck and covering behind a heavy brick wall in a school could be the difference between living the next sixty years and dying from flash burns. Furthermore because such an attack in 1951 would have horrible targeting it might not even hit the city center, meaning that your area would ONLY be under threat of burns or wooden structures catching fire.

Let us all remember that nuclear weapons, especially less powerful atom bombs, have a much smaller radius in which they can destroy brick and concrete structures. I think at Hiroshima someone survived 700 ft from ground zero because she was in a concrete building's basement for instance.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Train and 1 guest