Order of events from 3-16-15

Reports on current military activity
Upshot
Regular contributor

Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:34 am

Its still been a weird day.
Datum: Cdn minister of bloated, broken procurement and uniformed politicking (otherwise known as 'defence') was down at NORAD HQ (Cheyenne Mountain, or Peterson-where ever) today. Nothing unusual noted, and I'd have to suppose that the kind of actions described would have caused some kind of uproar at NORAD.
As to the criticism's of the reporting...
Bottom line: we still don't know jack-****, but the comms traffic today has been pretty unprecedented. In light of some of the radio calls, notably 'SNAPCOUNT', pushing the alert status to yellow is not un-warranted. Contrary to the freak-out going on earlier, this does not mean 'the sky is falling', but simply 'there is **** going down, pay attention.'
Is it possible that the 'air combats' overheard were simply an exercise, or an air combat maneouver session? The training sounds basically the same, which is the idea. Train like you fight, and fight like you train. Recall ABEL ARCHER in '83, a command post ex that the russian's interpreted as an impending first strike, based on sigint and humint surveillance of key western defence players. Recall also, that out side of the defence establishments, no body out in the world knew anything about that for eighteen years or so.
The military is not going share operational information via twitter. Nor should they, and I would be profoundly disturbed if they did. So we must take the intel as it comes, and for what it is- fragmented and in-complete, but a whole lot better than no heads up at all.
That's the point of forum, and I am not dismayed by the information presented, or disturbed at any incompleteness.
Times are tense and extremely un-predictable out there, and the leadership on both sides of the fence is sorely lacking depth and maturity. In this light, a service like DWS is a vital preparedness tool. Cut the lads some slack. Overall, the updates from DWS have been as factual as means permit,
and once the doomsday trolls get bored, the informed, tooled up citizens can get back to the business of watching for trouble.
It might be the only warning you get.
Sometimes, the only rational choice is a head shot.

PEACEKEEPER88

Tue Mar 17, 2015 6:18 am

Time will tell. No worries here.

cloveious

Tue Mar 17, 2015 6:23 am

I hear some radio chatter, but its very feint over the static, can anyone tell what is going on?

PEACEKEEPER88

Tue Mar 17, 2015 6:25 am

cloveious wrote:I hear some radio chatter, but its very feint over the static, can anyone tell what is going on?
I heard the same thing. Much traffic but mostly distorted like they're on another freq. or our feed is being affected by some interference. But I heard it about 6 hours ago. Much much traffic.

Upshot
Regular contributor

Tue Mar 17, 2015 6:32 am

cloveious wrote:I hear some radio chatter, but its very feint over the static, can anyone tell what is going on?
Routine radio checks. However, if I'm interpreting my spectrum display correctly, there is rather a lot of encrypted traffic on the HF and VHF.
Watch and wait, you know as much as anybody does, with the exception of the slavic cyber-troll ;)
Sometimes, the only rational choice is a head shot.