Order of events from 3-16-15

Reports on current military activity
Garv

Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:40 am

IrishFanBrad1974 wrote:
Tanith wrote:Okay, folks. Ryan has asked me to step in here as a temporary admin, all the activity on Teamspeak is keeping him busy at the moment. I'll try to sum up as best I can for those of you just arriving here.

At this time we are following a major air battle which is taking place, with American pilots reporting some losses. There are also reports of heavy jamming on the radio, presumably us jamming the Russians. Ryan is extremely busy trying to verify new information, and DWS has stepped away briefly to spend a little time with his family.

My internet has gotten rather wonky in the last fifteen minutes or so, but I will relay new information as it becomes available and I can verify it. We ask for your patience as this is a very fluid situation and we want to be sure of getting our facts right.
If this is actually happening, let's go get some. If the balloon is indeed going up..... time to kick some Russian ass before we all get deposited in the upper atmosphere.
What are you guys refer to as "The Balloon"?

Remorazz

Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:41 am

lawman wrote:If there was a large air battle with downed aircraft would commercial radar pick it up? I'm assuming this is not something that could be kept quite for long. Anyone know any radar geek websites that carry real time info that they can link us too.
Problem is we don't know where any of this is happening. Plus, if it is in a remote area like the artic, there probably won't be radar up there.

Steiner
Regular contributor

Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:42 am

DWS what do you know about this?
"They're in front of us, beside us and behind us. They can't get away now" - Gen.Lewis B. "Chesty" Puller USMC

DEFCONWarningSystem
Director
Director

Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:42 am

Jonathanatopia wrote:Where are the admins when people are wondering where they got there report from
We are here. We are listening to the military channels and attempting to verify information.

We will post major updates on the message board, and tweet on-the-fly information on @defconws

We also are running a Teamspeak server. Join in for live updates with the DEFCON staff. Server is limited to 25, so you may experience times where the server is full

jayfeather31
Power poster 3
Power poster 3

Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:43 am

Garv wrote:
IrishFanBrad1974 wrote:
Tanith wrote:Okay, folks. Ryan has asked me to step in here as a temporary admin, all the activity on Teamspeak is keeping him busy at the moment. I'll try to sum up as best I can for those of you just arriving here.

At this time we are following a major air battle which is taking place, with American pilots reporting some losses. There are also reports of heavy jamming on the radio, presumably us jamming the Russians. Ryan is extremely busy trying to verify new information, and DWS has stepped away briefly to spend a little time with his family.

My internet has gotten rather wonky in the last fifteen minutes or so, but I will relay new information as it becomes available and I can verify it. We ask for your patience as this is a very fluid situation and we want to be sure of getting our facts right.
If this is actually happening, let's go get some. If the balloon is indeed going up..... time to kick some Russian ass before we all get deposited in the upper atmosphere.
What are you guys refer to as "The Balloon"?
I believe it has to do with a song called 99 Luftbaloons if I am not mistaken.
The release of atomic energy has not created a new problem. It has merely made more urgent the necessity of solving an existing one.
~Albert Einstein
Great, let's round up all the useless cats and hope a tree falls on them.
~Jayfeather

revon

Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:44 am

DEFCONWarningSystem wrote:
Jonathanatopia wrote:Where are the admins when people are wondering where they got there report from
We are here. We are listening to the military channels and attempting to verify information.

We will post major updates on the message board, and tweet on-the-fly information on @defconws

We also are running a Teamspeak server. Join in for live updates with the DEFCON staff. Server is limited to 25, so you may experience times where the server is full
is it possible to follow these channels with http://websdr.ewi.utwente.nl:8901/ ?

bevans13

Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:46 am

http://flightaware.com/live/
Flight aware appears to be normal across US and Canada

Steiner
Regular contributor

Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:46 am

Nothing on military or DoD websites or anything veteran owned
"They're in front of us, beside us and behind us. They can't get away now" - Gen.Lewis B. "Chesty" Puller USMC

Upshot
Regular contributor

Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:47 am

Ease up folks, the missiles aren't inbound yet.
I suppose the DWS twitter updates are from monitoring whole band widths. With the large scale exercises going on, snatches of RT will be heard, along with phrases like 'strike package' and 'ground targets', but this is just chatter, picking worth while data out of that soup is like...eating soup with a fork. Tactical comms are all encrypted these days, anyway, or over datalinks, so you're not going to get a whole lot of voice traffic.
The global HF net transmits in the clear, but its coded, so the messages are warning orders to the effect of 'hey! A-holes! get out your code book and look on page ten!' or such like.
What we have here confirmed, and the reason the site DEFCON is pushed to yellow is the frequency of specific call signs coming up on the USAF Global High Frequency nets, specifically the SKYKING call sign, which is associated with the nuclear command and control system-in the old days, SAC HQ at Offut.
SKYKING messages are not unusual, usually several a day on the USAFGHF. The sudden surge in activity is unusual. A 'Snapcount' call is alarming, in as much as that one is instructing alert forces to open up the safe and get the red binder's on the same page. All this speaks to is a heightened C&C posture.
So something is up. Probably indications that the Northern Fleets nuclear forces-the eight missile boats-may have sortied- something the russians don't do much of these days, and/or the RSVN-RF is in on the exercise. The 'inbound' reports from this morning could have been an airliner with a transponder on the wrong push, or Ivan sending a ferret to buzz the ADIZ- not overly alarming, it happens every day.
All this means to us is:
Keep a radio on an EBS station, or reliable news station-preferably both.
Check your bug out bag, top up the tank in the motor, check your tyres and vehicle condition if you are a scooter, give a quick inventory for any top-up items if you are sheltering in place. Batteries, water, fuel, dogfood, meds, weed, fronta's, ect, ect. Hit wallyworld tonight if you have any top up stores to buy.
Adjust you mental fitness state to heightened awareness, discuss plans with family or your troop or what ever so you are all on the same page.
Light up a big blunt.
And Relax.
The world isn't ending right this moment.
Maybe tomorrow, maybe not, maybe next week.
Life goes on.

Forum.Ge

Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:50 am

DEFCONWarningSystem wrote:
Jonathanatopia wrote: Join in for live updates with the DEFCON staff
What is the server name?

• Information