Syrian offensive on Idlib

Reports on current military activity
Silent
Regular contributor

Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:32 pm

#Idlib offensive to have largest build-up of Syrian Army troops, full list of troops https://aml.ink/GP7p2 #Hama #Syria
https://twitter.com/ELINTNews

Sources in #Idlib now claim claim that #Turkey will NOT allow the Assad regime to launch an offensive on #Idlib.

Observation posts near regime forces will soon prepare for a possible confrontation; deploying anti-air machinery and other equipment.

https://twitter.com/IntelCrab

Silent
Regular contributor

Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:42 am

Mehr
#Syria: Turkish army officers announced that anti-aircraft weapons arrived at the checkpoints in Northern #Hama and Southern #Idlib and that they could shoot down #Assad regime warplanes when the regime continues its air attacks on people in Hama and Idlib.

https://twitter.com/IntelCrab

catalystman

Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:38 am

This (also) seems somewhat terribly ominous....

CreepyMonkey

Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:43 pm

catalystman wrote:
Respectfully and honestly, seems like business as usual to me. These days I don't think we can say anything is 'ominous' because literally everything is exactly that, at least, from someone's perspective it is.

catalystman

Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:12 pm

CreepyMonkey wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:43 pm
catalystman wrote:
Respectfully and honestly, seems like business as usual to me. These days I don't think we can say anything is 'ominous' because literally everything is exactly that, at least, from someone's perspective it is.
I see your point, but this particularly seems likely to lead to major escalation. ....area denial = dangerous. This is text book "what to look out for" as indicators of a hot war ... and a direct conflict between these nations is particularly ominous. ... considering russia just played the same card up north... imma worried ... too much tension and multiple triggers...very dangerous. The gun has been loaded for a long time but feels like it just got cocked ....but yes....business as usual in our world of war mongering sociopaths....

krzepice1976
DWS Staff
DWS Staff

Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:15 pm

Turkish and Russian top diplomats on Aug. 24 discussed solutions to the situation in Syria’s last rebel-held province of Idlib, with Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlüt Çavuşoğlu warning that seeking a military solution would lead to disaster.

“A military solution there will cause catastrophe,” Çavuşoğlu said at a press conference with his Russian counterpart Sergei Lavrov.

“Not only for the Idlib region but for the future of Syria, it will cause catastrophe and the clashes may last a long time.”

“Separating the civilians from the combatants in Idlib is important for everyone, but a solution through force would lead to a new wave of refugees and a humanitarian catastrophe,” he warned.

“A solution by force in Idlib would undermine the trust between Russia and Turkey as well as the trust of the cease-fire participants.”
http://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/milita ... glu-136111

krzepice1976
DWS Staff
DWS Staff

Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:08 pm

Foreign Minister Mevlüt Çavuşoğlu held his second meeting with Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov in the last two weeks. The minister also met Russian President Vladimir Putin in Moscow on Aug. 24.

Defense Minister Hulusi Akar and National Intelligence Organization Director Hakan Fidan were also in Moscow on the same day, just a week after their first trip to the Russian capital.

All of this diplomatic traffic is about the impending Syrian military operation into the Idlib province of Syria where around three million are living. The Syrian army, backed by Russia, is aiming to eliminate the jihadist terrorists, which have been controlling the province since early 2017.

Turkey has three main concerns: First, a large-scale operation without distinguishing civilians from terrorists can create a huge catastrophe. Second, it can kick another influx from Syria towards Turkey, complicating the already difficult refugee problem in the country. The third is of course about the security of the Turkish troops in Syria. Any direct attack on Turkish troops would certainly trigger a new and very deep conflict between Turkey and Syria.

“Russia is our strategic partner,” Çavuşoğlu said during the press conference with Lavrov, implying it also wants Russia to act along this line. The Turkish minister’s characterization of ties with Russia can be right from Ankara’s perspective but when it comes to the situation in Syria, Russia’s strategic partner is no doubt Syrian President Bashar al-Assad.

Russia has secured key military bases in the country and important deals for future military cooperation with the al-Assad regime in a bid to turn this war-torn country into its regional base from where it can control a vast strategic area. Therefore, the elimination of terrorists in Syria will also provide security for its military facilities and bases in the country. Lavrov, in his press conference in Ankara in mid-August, made it clear it was Syria’s right to fight terrorists and so it was Russia’s right to support the Syrian government.

Another aspect about the Idlib operation is its timing. It comes after Putin’s meeting with United States President Donald Trump in Helsinki in mid-July, in which the two leaders have reportedly come to an agreement over the future of Syria. More importantly, the operation will likely begin as Turkey is in the middle of an immense tension with the U.S. over scores of different reasons. It should be well-noted: The only red line in Syria, for the U.S. and other prominent western countries, is the use of chemical weapons as they made it clear last week.

Turkey’s proposal to Russia on Idlib suggests a joint work by the military and intelligence to identify who are terrorists and who are not. Turkey openly says a blanket military operation into the province would create a human tragedy and would kill the Astana process.

The next few weeks will show whether Turkey and Russia are really strategic partners or whether their partnership was a temporary tactical one.

http://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/opinio ... lib-136124

KimPossible
Regular contributor

Sat Aug 25, 2018 9:29 pm

Do not like what I am reading.
"Alert Today! Alive Tomorrow! Support Civil Defense!"
– Me

"Humanity is acquiring all the right technology for all the wrong reasons."
– R. Buckminster Fuller

PeacePlease

Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:42 am

I'm defiantly gonna keep eyes on this. The timing is worrying.
"To be prepared for war is one of the most effective means of preserving peace"
-George Washington

KimPossible
Regular contributor

Sun Aug 26, 2018 2:13 pm

PeacePlease wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:42 am
I'm defiantly gonna keep eyes on this. The timing is worrying.
Indeed is there any further significant news on this?
"Alert Today! Alive Tomorrow! Support Civil Defense!"
– Me

"Humanity is acquiring all the right technology for all the wrong reasons."
– R. Buckminster Fuller