Bug out bags

Thoughts, suggestions, and advice on what to do if the unthinkable happens.
Dixon

Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:56 am

hrng wrote:
Dixon wrote:Okay then you make great points. How about water bags? I don't know.. buy a bunch of ziploc bags? Just have a few water jugs handy. Then like you said just have plenty of water purification supplies
You can get flat pack water "cubes" for pretty cheap, I've got a couple in a cupboard somewhere, they're not fun to fill up though. :D Something like this: http://www.gsioutdoors.com/15-l-water-cube.html

Personally I keep a crate of 600ml water bottles in the car. You're not supposed to around here because of the heat, but I cycle through them once a month or two which is short enough to prevent spoilage. If I've got an extra long trip planned I'll chuck a couple of 20L bottles in the back too, just in case. That's enough for drinking, and for fire protection a blanket and a rakehoe is all I need.
Those water cubes look amazing. Definitely going to be buying a couple. Thanks. Though being in the north is there anything I should worry about when it comes to ice and water storage?
Can anything be stupider than that a man has the right to kill me because he lives on the other side of a river and his ruler has a quarrel with mine, though I have not quarrelled with him?
- Blaise Pascal

RiffRaff
DEFCON Data Analyst
DEFCON Data Analyst

Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:57 am

Dixon wrote:
hrng wrote:
Dixon wrote:I don't own a car, so when I do should I just buy a truck and throw a large water tank in the back? If I plan on driving a lot would having the thing full all the time be a good idea? Form there it seems like I see what I need to get. And I just looked at the life straw and I guess you've sold me on it.
The key word is potable... water sitting in a tank in the back of a truck will degrade pretty quick unless it's regularly cycled. Added weight means more fuel, and unless you do it right, it could be a roll hazard. It's hard to give specific advice without knowing your exact circumstances, you'll need to think about where you're going to be and what kind of water access you're going to have on the road. It's a lot easier to carry purification supplies than a big tank.
It is easier to carry an empty cup
than one that is filled to the brim.

The sharper the blade
the easier it is to dull.

The more wealth you possess
the more insecurity it brings.
Okay then you make great points. How about water bags? I don't know.. buy a bunch of ziploc bags? Just have a few water jugs handy. Then like you said just have plenty of water purification supplies
In our basement shelter I use 2-liter soda bottles to store water that has been run through our house water filter and our reverse osmosis filtration system, plus 2 drops of unscented bleach per 2-liter. But those are very difficult to transport by vehicle, so they are for sheltering in place. For my truck, I have 10 of these:
http://media.emergencyessenti.netdna-cd ... kit__2.jpg
Also stored in the basement with the same filtered water that's in the 2-liters, but these containers can be easily stacked in my truck or the trunk of my wife's car. 50 gallons should last us a month if we're careful.

Problem is that in a lot of SHTF scenarios, a vehicle bug-out may not be an option for you. EMP will render your car useless unless it was manufactured prior to 1980. Traffic jams may force you to abandon your vehicle even if it's functional, and gasoline will be in limited supply. My wife and I are prepared to bug-out on foot, by bicycle, by inflatable raft, or in my 4x4 depending on the exact situation. But we understand that the 4x4, bikes, and raft are temporary luxuries.
"It's in your nature to destroy yourselves." - Terminator 2: Judgment Day

hrng
Power poster 1
Power poster 1

Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:58 am

Dixon wrote:Those water cubes look amazing. Definitely going to be buying a couple. Thanks. Though being in the north is there anything I should worry about when it comes to ice and water storage?
Physics? :D

I guess you're going to need to prioritise multiple sources of heat.

bpmprocolo

Wed Oct 19, 2016 3:17 am

A Sawyer Mini filter looks like a good avenue to ensure safe water availability in a BOB. Maybe 2 since they're so small, and light-weight. Between that and a bottle (screws to bottles) -- water should be a safe bet unless it's 100% frozen solid or otherwise unavailable.

Harbinger

Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:33 pm

Might be somewhat off topic, but I must admit: this whole bug out idea never made sense to me. It only makes sense if you have a place you have already set up to go to, and bugging out is your means to get there.

I guess all these city folk think they can just pick up a backpack with a weeks supplies in there, and hoof it far enough to live off the land? Nuclear war or EMP come, and they will be one of millions of people fleeing the metroplexes for the "refuge" of the Appalachians, just to find the land packed with others who have nothing, and unable to support their insatiable appetite. People are going to walk all that way, expecting wilderness, and find that (shock!) people actually live there already, and might not be happy about their land being swamped.

But I guess a .07% chance of living is better than a .05% chance of living. Those who are serious about prepping will bug in, if at all possible. Bugging out sound like a recipe for death by starvation or violence.
Pro Patria Vigilans

Dixon

Thu Oct 20, 2016 1:01 am

Harbinger wrote:Might be somewhat off topic, but I must admit: this whole bug out idea never made sense to me. It only makes sense if you have a place you have already set up to go to, and bugging out is your means to get there.

I guess all these city folk think they can just pick up a backpack with a weeks supplies in there, and hoof it far enough to live off the land? Nuclear war or EMP come, and they will be one of millions of people fleeing the metroplexes for the "refuge" of the Appalachians, just to find the land packed with others who have nothing, and unable to support their insatiable appetite. People are going to walk all that way, expecting wilderness, and find that (shock!) people actually live there already, and might not be happy about their land being swamped.

But I guess a .07% chance of living is better than a .05% chance of living. Those who are serious about prepping will bug in, if at all possible. Bugging out sound like a recipe for death by starvation or violence.
I don't know, you are right and wrong in my opinion, it's hard for me to explain. If anything, I just want to survive the first few months. I want to watch my world fall before me. I want to watch the chaos that will in sue, and watch all the people around me scramble to survive. I wanna see the realization in the peoples faces that the things they held so dear have abandoned them or failed them.

I have no plan for long term survival, I just don't have to skills to do that. If I can keep living, then great. Hopefully I have one before things happen but once I get a gun, I will have one bullet saved around my neck for when the time comes. I don't want to suffer in that world. I just want to see it fall.
Can anything be stupider than that a man has the right to kill me because he lives on the other side of a river and his ruler has a quarrel with mine, though I have not quarrelled with him?
- Blaise Pascal

RiffRaff
DEFCON Data Analyst
DEFCON Data Analyst

Thu Oct 20, 2016 1:17 am

Harbinger wrote:Might be somewhat off topic, but I must admit: this whole bug out idea never made sense to me. It only makes sense if you have a place you have already set up to go to, and bugging out is your means to get there.

Believe me, it's not my first choice. And in 99% of disaster scenarios we will ride it out at home. But in the event of a full nuclear exchange we cannot survive, even in our basement shelter. That is the one scenario where I'll take our chances bugging out of the city. I grew up in the country, so I know what to expect. And I know not to just head to the first farmhouse and think I'll be welcomed with open arms. Avoiding roads and train tracks will be a must, because that's where all the naive city folk will be. They won't understand concealment and cover. And I'm not afraid to kill if necessary. Odds against me? Yep. But they're not zero.
"It's in your nature to destroy yourselves." - Terminator 2: Judgment Day

Harbinger

Thu Oct 20, 2016 4:19 am

Dixon wrote:

I don't know, you are right and wrong in my opinion, it's hard for me to explain. If anything, I just want to survive the first few months. I want to watch my world fall before me. I want to watch the chaos that will in sue, and watch all the people around me scramble to survive. I wanna see the realization in the peoples faces that the things they held so dear have abandoned them or failed them.

I have no plan for long term survival, I just don't have to skills to do that. If I can keep living, then great. Hopefully I have one before things happen but once I get a gun, I will have one bullet saved around my neck for when the time comes. I don't want to suffer in that world. I just want to see it fall.
I absolutely see where you are coming from. If the world dies, I want to live long enough to see it. I'll try to survive, but if worst comes to worst, there's a bullet with my name on it. To quote Bilbo Baggins from LOTR: I feel old, "Sort of stretched, like... butter scraped over too much bread."
Pro Patria Vigilans

Yingyang
Regular contributor

Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:52 am

Condis crystals are a good water purification and take up alot less room than tablets. And zip ties are great for shelters etc etc so your rope and cord can be used for other things. Plus there strong and reusable. And don't take up much room.

lcurle
Regular contributor

Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:29 pm

When it comes to water there is no reason to store water now. water will still be available for the first few days of an incident. If you can, get some water bobs for your home and use the bathtub to fill them. 100 gallons each when filled.

In order for en EMP to work the devices must be turned on with power cycling through them due to the manufacturing of the EM shields on all modern electronics these days. If you are worried about your devices and an EMP, toss them in your oven or a chest type freezer.

Fun fact: My house has open wiring which means there is no current flow until a device pulls it through the wiring. I have metal siding and a metal capped roof, essentially, I live in a Faraday cage.
Lee