Aussie Warning System

Thoughts, suggestions, and advice on what to do if the unthinkable happens.
RiffRaff
DEFCON Data Analyst
DEFCON Data Analyst
Posts: 2191
Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:09 pm
Location: Indianapolis, Indiana, US
Contact:

Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:13 pm

Yingyang wrote:
Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:10 am
My list is assets only not population though one question comes to mind. Garden island, bp refinery and fremantle port are all within a 30 km radius,and only 20 kilometres up wind of capital city. Would it be necessary to strike the first three mentioned individually?Or would one be enough to destroy those infrastructures as it is only water between the three?
I believe current strategy is to assign minimum one warhead per actual target to take into account missile/warhead malfunctions, targeting errors, and ABM systems. Plus, current warhead yields in the US and Russian arsenals are much smaller than during the Cold War. I believe all megaton-yield warheads have been eliminated through treaties. 5 to 20 MT could have probably handled all three of those targets with one warhead, but the only nation state to still employ weapons that size is China. So, one modern warhead would be of insufficient yield to destroy all three of those targets.

My information might be outdated, so anyone with better data feel free to correct me.
"It's in your nature to destroy yourselves." - Terminator 2: Judgment Day

Yingyang
Regular contributor
Posts: 556
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:12 am
Location: Perth Western Australia

Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:15 am

With guam in the eyes of nk and being in our general direction should we raise our eye browse or fully open our eyes?

Upshot
Regular contributor
Posts: 1028
Joined: Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:58 am

Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:55 pm

Hmm. Welp, the US plan of fires called for a bit more than one warhead, one target. They lay 'em down in a grid. Back in the cold war days, Moscow was due for hundreds of warheads, that's the whole point of MRV's. Cost effective, spread lots of smaller warheads across the beaten zone, really mess up their shit.
The petro-chemical complex is the life blood of a modern, industrial state. Refineries and POL stores are primary targets. At bare minimum, a target will receive all of the warheads on the missiles assigned to it. The Russian plan of fires featured the same thing. In a full up shoot out, both sides also target the instruments of state control. Government sites, police stations, KGB HQ's, state police &c.
Bridges, dams, power stations, dry docks, choke points, railyards, ports, any runway longer than 5500 ft. The only defence is to be elsewhere, far away.
Up wind isn't always a reliable radiological defence. Upper winds are the ones that will kill you while the crap aloft is good and hot. Surface winds become a concern after the fallout is on the ground. Then comes the second strike. Maybe third and fourth strikes. Much worse, as then you have even less (0) warning than you had in the first strike.
Get into the resources page here on the site. I though I saw some US targeting maps in there. It's illuminating.
One must also note, only the US took the MRV buses off the landbased missiles. Russia and china kept theirs, and all the SLBMs have full MRV loads.
Sometimes, the only rational choice is a head shot.

Yingyang
Regular contributor
Posts: 556
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:12 am
Location: Perth Western Australia

Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:54 pm

1 question i just realized with this thread. A nuclear strike against Australia as far as I know we have no nuclear weapon to retaliate not that that matters but more to the point we have no way to defend now for the biggest question. How will we know. Besides finding out some other western country got lit up first?

RiffRaff
DEFCON Data Analyst
DEFCON Data Analyst
Posts: 2191
Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:09 pm
Location: Indianapolis, Indiana, US
Contact:

Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:32 pm

Yingyang wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:54 pm
1 question i just realized with this thread. A nuclear strike against Australia as far as I know we have no nuclear weapon to retaliate not that that matters but more to the point we have no way to defend now for the biggest question. How will we know. Besides finding out some other western country got lit up first?
That's pretty much it. Somebody somewhere in Oz will be watching a television feed from or talking on a ham radio to LA or NYC and all of sudden they'll hear and see nothing but static. Within 15 minutes the major world news organizations will be broadcasting a rising mushroom cloud over what used to be a major American city. I would be more concerned about how your population will react to Oz suddenly becoming the most desirable place to be for the remaining 4 billion people on the planet. Good luck with that.
"It's in your nature to destroy yourselves." - Terminator 2: Judgment Day

hrng
Power poster 1
Power poster 1
Posts: 2690
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2015 10:15 pm
Location: Middle of nowhere, Australia

Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:16 pm

RiffRaff wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:32 pm
I would be more concerned about how your population will react to Oz suddenly becoming the most desirable place to be for the remaining 4 billion people on the planet. Good luck with that.
Mate we're used to that ;)

Yingyang
Regular contributor
Posts: 556
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:12 am
Location: Perth Western Australia

Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:47 pm

Keep updates coming this site is my radar.

Yingyang
Regular contributor
Posts: 556
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:12 am
Location: Perth Western Australia

Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:24 am

Should America be attacked by a nuclear bomb or emp would this site still be operational? I believe first strike would be emp then launch in hope of effecting detection and reaction capabilities. What are your thoughts of operational time period of this site should such a situation occur?

RiffRaff
DEFCON Data Analyst
DEFCON Data Analyst
Posts: 2191
Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:09 pm
Location: Indianapolis, Indiana, US
Contact:

Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:56 pm

Yingyang wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:24 am
Should America be attacked by a nuclear bomb or emp would this site still be operational? I believe first strike would be emp then launch in hope of effecting detection and reaction capabilities. What are your thoughts of operational time period of this site should such a situation occur?
Should America actually be attacked by an EMP weapon, nuclear strike, or both, the ability of people to access any information on the Internet will be severely compromised. (Mental note to make a post about how to access this site if DNS goes down nationwide.) As reliable as the Internet is under normal conditions, it's actually pretty fragile. I would not count on being able to access much of anything during a real-world strategic attack, especially if cyberattacks are part of the equation.

Honestly, in my humble opinion, and I am not speaking for the rest of the staff here, if this site does what it's designed to do, people monitoring it should have already implemented their EAPs before an attack actually occurs. My wife and I aren't waiting for DEFCON 1, DEFCON 2 is where we actually assess the need to bug out and follow through with it if the situation warrants it, or at the very least have everything already loaded onto the truck so we can leave with less than 5 minutes warning. I may post how we have our EAPs laid out at some point so others have a template.
"It's in your nature to destroy yourselves." - Terminator 2: Judgment Day

Yingyang
Regular contributor
Posts: 556
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:12 am
Location: Perth Western Australia

Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:19 pm

RiffRaff wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:56 pm
Yingyang wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:24 am
Should America be attacked by a nuclear bomb or emp would this site still be operational? I believe first strike would be emp then launch in hope of effecting detection and reaction capabilities. What are your thoughts of operational time period of this site should such a situation occur?
Should America actually be attacked by an EMP weapon, nuclear strike, or both, the ability of people to access any information on the Internet will be severely compromised. (Mental note to make a post about how to access this site if DNS goes down nationwide.) As reliable as the Internet is under normal conditions, it's actually pretty fragile. I would not count on being able to access much of anything during a real-world strategic attack, especially if cyberattacks are part of the equation.

Honestly, in my humble opinion, and I am not speaking for the rest of the staff here, if this site does what it's designed to do, people monitoring it should have already implemented their EAPs before an attack actually occurs. My wife and I aren't waiting for DEFCON 1, DEFCON 2 is where we actually assess the need to bug out and follow through with it if the situation warrants it, or at the very least have everything already loaded onto the truck so we can leave with less than 5 minutes warning. I may post how we have our EAPs laid out at some point so others have a template.
Thank you that would be great.

Post Reply