Do you have a New Year's Resolution regarding disaster preparedness

Thoughts, suggestions, and advice on what to do if the unthinkable happens.

Do you have a New Year's Resolution regarding disaster preparedness

You may select 1 option

View results
RiffRaff
DEFCON Data Analyst
DEFCON Data Analyst

Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:28 pm

Upshot wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:40 am
(You may have noted I harbour a certain amount of disdain for the little gulag on the prairie, being a former canadian....)
That rant was downright mild for you. Did you take your meds today? :lol:
"It's in your nature to destroy yourselves." - Terminator 2: Judgment Day

DEFCONWarningSystem
Director
Director

Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:12 pm

Upshot wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:52 pm
Prince George!!??!! Have you seen Prince George? That dung heap makes Tehran seem down right desirable.
I said the area, not PG itself. I could never live in a city that large.

willrod1989

Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:25 am

RiffRaff wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:14 pm
KimPossible wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:59 pm
Luckily I live in Wisconsin so not to many targets around where I am at, lots of nowhere.
Interesting. Our bugout route takes us north straight up the middle of Wisconsin, where you're right; there's a lot of nowhere and no major targets.

Out of curiosity, why head south, through Mexico, no less? We're heading north across the Canadian border, where fallout should be minimal as well. I can't speak to Costa Rica, but Mexico will be extremely dangerous, especially for gringos. Not to mention the fuel requirements to get there by car will be huge.
Yep, heading north as well. If DEFCON 3 hits, I have a bugout plan that takes me into Northern Quebec, far from any targets. Plus, I have a boat to get across Lake Erie if the border is sealed. However, my long term plans are to relocate to Patagonia if there is severe civil unrest, or if I have plenty of advance warning.

willrod1989

Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:33 am

Upshot wrote:
Prince George!!??!! Have you seen Prince George? That dung heap makes Tehran seem down right desirable. Believe, mate, canaduh sucks major ass. I can't imagine strategic nuclear war would improve matters, and canadians in panic mode ? I'd take my chances with Mexico. Mexicans are far nicer people than canadians. Don't believe the 'nice canadian' lie. A more vicious pack of rectum chewing hyena's you won't find.
Quite a bit of that dump is going to get chewed on, bad, anyway. Doesn't take a lot of kablamo to wipe it out, as the oil, gas and critical infrastructure is concentrated, often close to population. Roads are few in numbers, and I could cut the west coast off with ten 1000lb LGB's.
One big choke point, too many nuclear beaten zones astride the road- and in many places, there is one road out.
I also agree- at least the Anglo-Canadians. French Canadians, on the other hand, are genuinely nice, especially if you attempt to speak some French (I speak a decent amount, and my mom's French Canadian). However, having lived in South America for several years, and living near the Canadian border, I definitely have to agree. Anglo-Canadians are not "nice"- they're polite. There's a huge difference! They are some of the most condescending, American-bashing assholes you'll ever meet!

Quebec is my short-notice bugout plan. However, if you have enough time to leave before SHTF, consider Patagonia, in southern Argentina. It's lightly populated, and far from any major targets. It may be sub-Antarctic, but in general, the Southern Hemisphere should far better, especially since winters are much more mild compared to the north.

KimPossible
Regular contributor

Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:09 pm

willrod1989 wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:33 am
However, if you have enough time to leave before SHTF, consider Patagonia, in southern Argentina. It's lightly populated, and far from any major targets. It may be sub-Antarctic, but in general, the Southern Hemisphere should far better, especially since winters are much more mild compared to the north.
Yes in that event like that you want to head south or near the equator. We have as a group every capable, necessary equipment to handle any encounter, and scenario on our way to Costa Rica. I've been looking at property down in Costa Rica and its not to bad.

When world affairs get jiggy the more busy my work gets, also factoring in a pay raise in salary in early February could definitely buy & maintain a safe house in Costa Rica for our arrival in that kind of event. Not to mention just to go for vacations, might as well make some use of it, I know my kids/family & neighbors who would know about the safe house and location would love it for entertainment purpose too. :)
There is a war on woman! #VoteThemOut

Wolfalisk

Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:35 am

I want to get some portable stoves and those food buckets as well as some camping tents.

lcurle
Regular contributor

Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:06 pm

Upshot wrote:
Prince George!!??!! Have you seen Prince George? That dung heap makes Tehran seem down right desirable. Believe, mate, canaduh sucks major ass. I can't imagine strategic nuclear war would improve matters, and canadians in panic mode ? I'd take my chances with Mexico. Mexicans are far nicer people than canadians. Don't believe the 'nice canadian' lie. A more vicious pack of rectum chewing hyena's you won't find.
I lived here for two years when I was younger. It is a shit hole and the pulp mills are nasty. Only good thing about Pg is leaving it. Further north of PG is a very small town called MacKenzie (sp?!?) Lived there when I was 5 when it was a thriving logging community. Nothing to do and very remote.
Lee

Upshot
Regular contributor

Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:26 pm

RiffRaff wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:28 pm
Upshot wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:40 am
(You may have noted I harbour a certain amount of disdain for the little gulag on the prairie, being a former canadian....)
That rant was downright mild for you. Did you take your meds today? :lol:
Thanks, Raff. :lol: :lol: Still gasping! The Combat Hookah is always blazing, so, yeah, I'm on my meds. :lol: :lol:

But, seriously, I'd bug west or way south -- well ahead of time! Chile is very nice, very large, and all but the southern extremities have a climate a bit more amicable to life than trudeauville. Western Olympic peninsula, Western Oregon -- out of the beaten zone, prevailing winds guard against fallout.
The area around PG is a target -- road and rail chokepoint for the entire north to Alaska, heavy gas infrastructure. Petro-chemical complex is a priority target in a N-SHTF situation. Those sort of targets will be ground bursts. 3 220 kilotoners, you're not getting through.
Canada has a lot of critical stuff, all of it is on one or the other of the very few roads and rail lines. Very easy to nuke, and they're going to be dirty shots, most of it can't be killed with airbursts.
If you're for real about this, economics can go to hell. Bail out now. Except canadians. Stay right where you are. :twisted:
Sometimes, the only rational choice is a head shot.