Do you have a New Year's Resolution regarding disaster preparedness

Thoughts, suggestions, and advice on what to do if the unthinkable happens.

Do you have a New Year's Resolution regarding disaster preparedness

You may select 1 option

View results
DEFCONWarningSystem
Director
Director

Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:22 pm

Are you going to be doing anything in the next year to prep for disaster? (War or natural)

KimPossible
Regular contributor

Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:03 pm

Goals for the new year, finish my bomb shelter by end of Jan. Only other Goal is once my bomb shelter is ready, will get my block to start practicing war drills, how fast we can all come from our houses to my bomb shelter and seal it air tight with all of us in there. Then how fast we can go from the bomb shelter to our cars to the state border following our pre planned drive to Costa Rica in the event of all out nuclear war.

Note, I got everyone on my small block (5 houses 8 people, 3 children, 2 dogs) to help me construct, pay, and stock the bomb shelter im creating. We will have enough food stock in our shelter for 6 months, 1 year water supply, running toilet, air purifier, and hopefully if everyone on the block can put together the money a air vent that gos outside that can also filter out radiation to enable our shelter to be habitable for at least a year.

People are awaking to civil defense in the wake of rising tensions with DPRK, Russia, and the middle east. I was surprised everyone on my block agreed to sink thousands into a bomb shelter and stock for the shelter. But people want to live and we all get this feeling that SHTF is coming right around the corner, (Trust me I know what I am talking about and its closer then around the corner.)

SO maybe a idea to ask your street if its small enough like my'n if you all would come together to build a bomb shelter, its not as hard as many think. IF you need tips on how to organize your street or even how to go about asking your neighbors just message me I can answer any question regarding community Emergency Readiness.

Famous words come to mind, "Together We Stand, Divided we Fall..."
There is a war on woman! #VoteThemOut

RiffRaff
DEFCON Data Analyst
DEFCON Data Analyst

Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:31 pm

KimPossible wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:03 pm
Goals for the new year, finish my bomb shelter by end of Jan.
Yep, same here. We have the walls in place, including the removable wall panel hiding the entrance. All we have to do now is put shelves up on the outside to complete the illusion of a solid wall. Note: This isn't really a bomb shelter, per se. Wall shielding is plenty thick, but the ceiling is the weak point in protecting from strong radiation. I have some ideas to fix that, but none of them are cheap. Current plan is we would have to construct a "shelter within a shelter" to maintain sufficient shielding from radiation, and remain inside it for probably a couple of weeks. This shelter's primary purpose is to allow us a place to store our supplies and seal us off from the rest of the house during a major crisis. People could then ransack the house for supplies but (hopefully) overlook the hidden shelter section.

I'm still working on detailed nuclear target maps for every state, but that is time consuming. I hope to have that completed soon as well.
"It's in your nature to destroy yourselves." - Terminator 2: Judgment Day

KimPossible
Regular contributor

Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:45 pm

Good at masonry? I have three layers of brick in my bomb shelter for my ceiling also sealed with tar for a air tight seal. I have people on my block help me fund this as well so I was able to pour/mold 3-4 feet thick depending, this summer had a running toilet installed separate from the house utilities to work without running sewage or water. Food for 6 months, and water for a year.

Only thing I have left to finish in it really is taring and double checking any path ways for air from the outside. I mentioned somewhere that if people on my block put the money together I could get a air filter that filters out radiation, but that's a butt load of money. If anything I may take out a loan, I want my bomb shelter ready by the end of the first month in 2018. Then of course practicing with my block war drills.

RiffRaff
DEFCON Data Analyst
DEFCON Data Analyst

Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:28 am

KimPossible wrote:
Good at masonry? I have three layers of brick in my bomb shelter for my ceiling also sealed with tar for a air tight seal. I have people on my block help me fund this as well so I was able to pour/mold 3-4 feet thick depending, this summer had a running toilet installed separate from the house utilities to work without running sewage or water. Food for 6 months, and water for a year.

Only thing I have left to finish in it really is taring and double checking any path ways for air from the outside. I mentioned somewhere that if people on my block put the money together I could get a air filter that filters out radiation, but that's a butt load of money. If anything I may take out a loan, I want my bomb shelter ready by the end of the first month in 2018. Then of course practicing with my block war drills.
I am not good with masonry, but even just placing bricks in between floor joists would be a huge expense, not to mention extremely heavy to support properly.

The well pump for the house is located in one corner of the shelter, so if I can install a hand pump right next to it I might be able to continue to pull water direct from the aquifer without leaving the shelter. Otherwise, we have enough water currently stored for 90 - 120 days, not counting the 50 gallons available to us in the water heater. As a last resort, we have a sump pit in another corner of the shelter where relatively safe water could be obtained. 90 days on food supplies as well. We will be using sealed buckets and standard cat litter for our toilet solution.

Our shelter is not air tight, but I could probably get it close to being so with minimal effort. The thing is, we live so close to secondary and tertiary nuclear targets that I just don't think it's practical to try and remain at our house during a large-scale nuclear exchange. We have a specific bug-out plan for that.

Upshot
Regular contributor

Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:46 am

Lessee...a couple of kilo's of ganesh, stocked up on fronta's, dug up a couple more SBR's, bought another couple thousand rounds of 7.62 NATO, nicked a bag of caps from the man, boiled up a kilo of purple blotter, diesel bunkers filled, stocked up on 30% nitro/methanol, smokeless and microballoons so I can do some cooking. Plank waxed, syncrolift booked for the 5th, get a scrape and anti-fouling, work on tan. Gotta get some new RayBans.
Nope. I'm good. Bring it on, I do believe I'm ready.
Sometimes, the only rational choice is a head shot.

RiffRaff
DEFCON Data Analyst
DEFCON Data Analyst

Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:36 am

Upshot wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:46 am
Lessee...a couple of kilo's of ganesh, stocked up on fronta's, dug up a couple more SBR's, bought another couple thousand rounds of 7.62 NATO, nicked a bag of caps from the man, boiled up a kilo of purple blotter, diesel bunkers filled, stocked up on 30% nitro/methanol, smokeless and microballoons so I can do some cooking. Plank waxed, syncrolift booked for the 5th, get a scrape and anti-fouling, work on tan. Gotta get some new RayBans.
Nope. I'm good. Bring it on, I do believe I'm ready.
:lol:

KimPossible
Regular contributor

Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:59 pm

RiffRaff wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:28 am
KimPossible wrote:

I am not good with masonry, but even just placing bricks in between floor joists would be a huge expense, not to mention extremely heavy to support properly.

The well pump for the house is located in one corner of the shelter, so if I can install a hand pump right next to it I might be able to continue to pull water direct from the aquifer without leaving the shelter. Otherwise, we have enough water currently stored for 90 - 120 days, not counting the 50 gallons available to us in the water heater. As a last resort, we have a sump pit in another corner of the shelter where relatively safe water could be obtained. 90 days on food supplies as well. We will be using sealed buckets and standard cat litter for our toilet solution.

Our shelter is not air tight, but I could probably get it close to being so with minimal effort. The thing is, we live so close to secondary and tertiary nuclear targets that I just don't think it's practical to try and remain at our house during a large-scale nuclear exchange. We have a specific bug-out plan for that.
Well in the even of a all out nuclear war we only intend on staying in our shelter for two weeks, then off to Costa Rica where nuclear winter won't be so bad. Think I mentioned somewhere at sometime on these forums we have three cars all geared up, and the means to "restart" them if damaged by a EMP or nuclear blast to get us to the Mexican border or further.

Luckily I live in Wisconsin so not to many targets around where I am at, lots of nowhere. The block I share is almost a mile long with just a few houses which makes my "Survival Group" very much possible and easier to bug out for a long time or hit the road on a drop of a dime. Not to mention when you group 5 households together all Middle Class income makes the money problem for a shelter a much more eased situation to handle/plan.

RiffRaff
DEFCON Data Analyst
DEFCON Data Analyst

Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:14 pm

KimPossible wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:59 pm
Luckily I live in Wisconsin so not to many targets around where I am at, lots of nowhere.
Interesting. Our bugout route takes us north straight up the middle of Wisconsin, where you're right; there's a lot of nowhere and no major targets.

Out of curiosity, why head south, through Mexico, no less? We're heading north across the Canadian border, where fallout should be minimal as well. I can't speak to Costa Rica, but Mexico will be extremely dangerous, especially for gringos. Not to mention the fuel requirements to get there by car will be huge.

Upshot
Regular contributor

Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:14 pm

Boy's, running after the bombs go off is a bad, bad idea. Total desperation, last resort, and probably a death sentence if it's hot.
Run before. That means economics can go to hell, screw it! I'm getting out now! Liquidate, move it out to where the weather doesn't feature falling warheads, irradiated refugee's, marxists and muslims. Or, making the right decision at the right time(before SHTF), then git while the git'ins good.
I chose the former. Why keep paying for a country and society that is planning to die? Cut your losses! Once you get out, and re-adjust your thinking, you'll wonder why you were wasting your life.
Sometimes, the only rational choice is a head shot.