Removal of nasty in water

Thoughts, suggestions, and advice on what to do if the unthinkable happens.
Yingyang
Regular contributor

Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:22 pm

Curious of removal of radiation, chemicals and anything else you can think of. Through distillation or other simple ways of the effectiveness? Reverse osmosis is a little difficult in a bush scenario. As distillation and condensation i believe are the best options for clean water a step ahead of simple filter and boil.

RiffRaff
DEFCON Data Analyst
DEFCON Data Analyst

Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:55 pm

Generally speaking, water itself is not radioactive; it's all the particulates in the water that are radioactive. So a good, reliable 1 micron filter should do the trick. Distilling will also work, as you mentioned.

As for chemicals, if you're referring to WMD type chemicals, I'm less versed in that. Don't know if distillation is sufficient for that scenario or not.
"It's in your nature to destroy yourselves." - Terminator 2: Judgment Day

Obreid
Regular contributor

Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:44 pm

RiffRaff wrote:
Generally speaking, water itself is not radioactive; it's all the particulates in the water that are radioactive. So a good, reliable 1 micron filter should do the trick. Distilling will also work, as you mentioned.

As for chemicals, if you're referring to WMD type chemicals, I'm less versed in that. Don't know if distillation is sufficient for that scenario or

Would you have a problem with the filter quickly becoming radioactive. Wondering how to cope with this but not letting the filter itself become a problem. Or are we talking about a minimum buildup in the filter from waster.

RiffRaff
DEFCON Data Analyst
DEFCON Data Analyst

Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:26 am

Obreid wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:44 pm
RiffRaff wrote:

As for chemicals, if you're referring to WMD type chemicals, I'm less versed in that. Don't know if distillation is sufficient for that scenario or

Would you have a problem with the filter quickly becoming radioactive. Wondering how to cope with this but not letting the filter itself become a problem. Or are we talking about a minimum buildup in the filter from waster.
A lot of variables here. The longer the time from detonation and the further you are from the path of fallout the less radioactive particles you'll have to deal with. Depends on the isotope and its half life as well. I would use a single filter for several gallons and throw it away after use, personally.
"It's in your nature to destroy yourselves." - Terminator 2: Judgment Day