Concerning bows and crossbow

Thoughts, suggestions, and advice on what to do if the unthinkable happens.
K@n_055

Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:55 pm

I live in a country where is really difficult (in a legal way) or dangerous to have guns (easier, but illegal, so I would have to go to ghettos to get one, and not a reliable piece), but you can have any kind of blade, bows and crossbow.
Because of that I'm considering buying this kind of equipment, what is your opinions on it reliability, for defense and hunting purposes mainly.
Althought the population don't have access to guns, the crime world have free access to it (yes I'm in S-A). I know that a nuclear scenario here is almost impossible, but I think goverment trustness can crumble on nuclear war.

Yingyang
Regular contributor

Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:54 pm

K@n_055 wrote:
I live in a country where is really difficult (in a legal way) or dangerous to have guns (easier, but illegal, so I would have to go to ghettos to get one, and not a reliable piece), but you can have any kind of blade, bows and crossbow.
Because of that I'm considering buying this kind of equipment, what is your opinions on it reliability, for defense and hunting purposes mainly.
Althought the population don't have access to guns, the crime world have free access to it (yes I'm in S-A). I know that a nuclear scenario here is almost impossible, but I think goverment trustness can crumble on nuclear war.
Good choice

RiffRaff
DEFCON Data Analyst
DEFCON Data Analyst

Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:09 pm

K@n_055 wrote:
Personally, I would have a crossbow primarily for hunting and a compound bow primarily for self-defense. Of course, each can be utilized in either capacity, but while a crossbow has more accuracy for the novice user, which is important for hunting, it takes much longer to reload, which is critical in self defense situations. A standard compound bow requires more practice to get consistent with aim, but can be reloaded and fired again much faster than a crossbow.

It takes months of practice to get anywhere close to fairly consistent with a compound bow. I would recommend one with adjustable draw, from say 25 pounds to 75 pounds. For a good solid kill shot at any real distance you're going to want a minimum of 45 pounds on the draw. Mine is set to 55. Pay someone to give you a few initial lessons and then practice, practice, practice.

If you have family, get each person their own bow of a kind and size they are comfortable with, and practice shooting in sequence, so by the time all of you have fired your first shots, the first person in line is already reloaded and firing again. Start at about once every five seconds to get the feel for it, then slowly work it down to every 1 to .5 seconds. This is an important tactic in self defense scenarios.

You'll also want different kinds of arrow points. Generally, you'll want at least a dozen each of:
practice
small game
large game
human threats

Make sure you keep the bow in good condition. Have it inspected and tuned up by an expert once a year. And never, ever, ever, under any circumstances, do you dry fire a bow. You absolutely will damage it if you do.

Hope all that helps. Good luck.
"It's in your nature to destroy yourselves." - Terminator 2: Judgment Day

Obreid
Regular contributor

Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:42 pm

Make sure you have more than adequate supply of arrows only thing I would add. With either compound or cross bow velocity are enough they can be lost or damage easily. A bolt would pass right through a human or deer chest and be 15 to 20 meters down range.
Lower draw weight will be easier and stabler to draw and I think possibly easier on arrows. As far as aiming cross bow with scope is just like picking up a rifle and aiming. Can split an arrow at 20m just like Robin Hood:). Good luck.

RiffRaff
DEFCON Data Analyst
DEFCON Data Analyst

Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:01 am

Obreid wrote:
With either compound or cross bow velocity are enough they can be lost or damage easily.
Very true. There are some (very expensive) carbon fiber arrow shafts out there that are pretty resistant to damage. You almost have to shoot them directly at a cinder block wall. As far as losing them downrange, I've been lucky so far and only lost one in the past five years. Best method I've found is to use neon bright fletching that is easily visible even in dense underbrush. Makes arrow recovery much easier.

Obreid
Regular contributor

Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:19 am

RiffRaff wrote:
Obreid wrote:
With either compound or cross bow velocity are enough they can be lost or damage easily.
Very true. There are some (very expensive) carbon fiber arrow shafts out there that are pretty resistant to damage. You almost have to shoot them directly at a cinder block wall. As far as losing them downrange, I've been lucky so far and only lost one in the past five years. Best method I've found is to use neon bright fletching that is easily visible even in dense underbrush. Makes arrow recovery much easier.
I blew one right through a doe once about 40yds. Doe flinched turned to one side and fell over dead. Arrow disappeared like a ghost in the corn stubble.

RiffRaff
DEFCON Data Analyst
DEFCON Data Analyst

Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:22 am

Obreid wrote:
RiffRaff wrote:
Obreid wrote:
I blew one right through a doe once about 40yds. Doe flinched turned to one side and fell over dead. Arrow disappeared like a ghost in the corn stubble.
Nice shot! We're you shooting at a downward angle from a stand? I think the one I lost actually completely buried itself in the ground which is why I never found it.

Obreid
Regular contributor

Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:32 am

RiffRaff wrote:
Obreid wrote:
RiffRaff wrote:

Nice shot! We're you shooting at a downward angle from a stand? I think the one I lost actually completely buried itself in the ground which is why I never found it.
Yeh I have an "old man" climber and I like to get as high as I can. Their blind to anything above ten or fifteen feet. Even if their looking right at you while you draw they just can't put the danger to it, it funny like that. I was about 25ft up with about 15• down angle. It probably got planted over the next spring and still there.

I was shooting "crimson talon" broad head. Haven't seen the available for awhile now. The three blades had a fluted twist build in them that worked with fletching.
The advertised groups at 30yds with no fletching, never tried it though. Amazing what a good spin does to any projectile.

RiffRaff
DEFCON Data Analyst
DEFCON Data Analyst

Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:48 am

Obreid wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:32 am
RiffRaff wrote:
Obreid wrote:

Yeh I have an "old man" climber and I like to get as high as I can. Their blind to anything above ten or fifteen feet. Even if their looking right at you while you draw they just can't put the danger to it, it funny like that. I was about 25ft up with about 15• down angle. It probably got planted over the next spring and still there.

I was shooting "crimson talon" broad head. Haven't seen the available for awhile now. The three blades had a fluted twist build in them that worked with fletching.
The advertised groups at 30yds with no fletching, never tried it though. Amazing what a good spin does to any projectile.
Agreed. I'll have to keep an eye out for something like that next time I go in to purchase more archery supplies.