Emergency Action Plans for DEFCON Levels

Thoughts, suggestions, and advice on what to do if the unthinkable happens.
Yingyang
Regular contributor

Sat Sep 02, 2017 3:41 am

Librarylady wrote:
Sat Sep 02, 2017 3:14 am
Yep, I live in a city with VERY strict gun laws, even though I'm in the U.S. All the prepper sites seem to assume everyone has easy access to weapons though! They never tell you what kinds of weapons to have on hand if you live somewhere guns aren't allowed. All I can think of are baseball bats, pepper spray, and carving knives...
Enemy to close already to deter with more distance could be as simple as a sling shot .if i got hit in the face with a rock I'm sure you could gain a couple of feet or hide.You could consider a bow aswell?

DEFCONWarningSystem
Director
Director

Sat Sep 02, 2017 3:57 am

Yingyang wrote:
Sat Sep 02, 2017 3:05 am
Thank you riff raff i do agree as firearms are to hard to acquire in australia for hunting
One advantage of a bow is it is quiet. Shoot off a gun and people know you are there. Shoot it more than once and they know where you are.

Drumboy44
DWS Staff
DWS Staff

Sat Sep 02, 2017 4:12 am

DEFCONWarningSystem wrote:
Sat Sep 02, 2017 3:57 am
Yingyang wrote:
Sat Sep 02, 2017 3:05 am
Thank you riff raff i do agree as firearms are to hard to acquire in australia for hunting
One advantage of a bow is it is quiet. Shoot off a gun and people know you are there. Shoot it more than once and they know where you are.
And the advantages of a sword?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
" man fears time, but time fears the pyramids "

Librarylady

Sat Sep 02, 2017 6:39 am

Do you need a license for a bow or a sword? Serious question! You can't even carry a utility knife here legally and I think mace requires a license. I'm pretty sure I could get a gun illegally but I'm not a big risk taker generally and jail doesn't sound that appealing.

mardiri

Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:16 am

I own guns,I would use these to let public know I am not fooling around. they would not be coming to loot after a few bodies were on ground.

Yingyang
Regular contributor

Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:37 am

mardiri wrote:
Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:16 am
I own guns,I would use these to let public know I am not fooling around. they would not be coming to loot after a few bodies were on ground.
If your in America your probably not that scary as those with guns will probably just shoot back and those who don't may wish to acquire them.Though in the end it will probably boil down to whom is a better shot or more patient.

RiffRaff
DEFCON Data Analyst
DEFCON Data Analyst

Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:30 pm

Librarylady wrote:
Yep, I live in a city with VERY strict gun laws, even though I'm in the U.S. All the prepper sites seem to assume everyone has easy access to weapons though! They never tell you what kinds of weapons to have on hand if you live somewhere guns aren't allowed. All I can think of are baseball bats, pepper spray, and carving knives...
If firearms are not an option, I would focus on a good hunting bow or crossbow. A hunting bow is quieter and you can reload faster, but a crossbow has a lower learning curve on accuracy. In addition to rifles, my wife and I both have good, powerful compound hunting bows with arrow tips that will take down large game if you hit them right. Also, take up sword collecting as a "hobby." I have four long swords of various lengths and types, from a ceremonial saber (that will still take off a zombie's head) to a replica of the two-handed bastard sword used in Conan the Barbarian.

Also, some muzzleloading rifles will get you around gun laws. Yes, you only get one shot and reloading takes at least 30 seconds (if you practice), but when TSHTF it would give you some security until you can figure out how to upgrade later.

Finally, there have been some amazing technological advances made in compressed gas powered guns. Such as this .357 magnum rifle, for instance:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GPejLukzcY
Downside is cost and having to have a method of refilling the air tanks to 3,000 psi. But again, if you are burdened with serious firearm laws, this might get you around them and give you a deadly weapon for long enough to upgrade later.

Disclaimer: Check all of your gun laws before trying one of those options. Obviously, what is legal in my country and my state might not be legal in yours. Your mileage may vary.

Moral of the story: A weapon is a weapon. Firearms might be the most desired, but they are not the only option, and some of the examples above have the advantage of being able to kill quietly. Having several different types at your disposal gives you a small tactical advantage over the testosterone-based prepper who has nothing but loud automatic weapons in his arsenal.
"It's in your nature to destroy yourselves." - Terminator 2: Judgment Day

Yingyang
Regular contributor

Sat Sep 02, 2017 1:23 pm

RiffRaff wrote:
Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:30 pm
Librarylady wrote:
If firearms are not an option, I would focus on a good hunting bow or crossbow. A hunting bow is quieter and you can reload faster, but a crossbow has a lower learning curve on accuracy. In addition to rifles, my wife and I both have good, powerful compound hunting bows with arrow tips that will take down large game if you hit them right. Also, take up sword collecting as a "hobby." I have four long swords of various lengths and types, from a ceremonial saber (that will still take off a zombie's head) to a replica of the two-handed bastard sword used in Conan the Barbarian.

Also, some muzzleloading rifles will get you around gun laws. Yes, you only get one shot and reloading takes at least 30 seconds (if you practice), but when TSHTF it would give you some security until you can figure out how to upgrade later.

Finally, there have been some amazing technological advances made in compressed gas powered guns. Such as this .357 magnum rifle, for instance:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GPejLukzcY
Downside is cost and having to have a method of refilling the air tanks to 3,000 psi. But again, if you are burdened with serious firearm laws, this might get you around them and give you a deadly weapon for long enough to upgrade later.

Disclaimer: Check all of your gun laws before trying one of those options. Obviously, what is legal in my country and my state might not be legal in yours. Your mileage may vary.

Moral of the story: A weapon is a weapon. Firearms might be the most desired, but they are not the only option, and some of the examples above have the advantage of being able to kill quietly. Having several different types at your disposal gives you a small tactical advantage over the testosterone-based prepper who has nothing but loud automatic weapons in his arsenal.
Well said 😉

Wolfalisk

Sat Sep 02, 2017 6:23 pm

Thanks for sharing this information. Out of curiosity, what was the biggest factor in choosing what weapon yields to account for? Did you research modern warheads that would be deployed by likely opponents like China or Russia?

RichardWad

Sat Sep 02, 2017 6:45 pm

Curious also on your choices for where bombs will be detonated. Obviously the airport and downtown area would be on the list if they were targeting citizen locations.
What about Camp Atterbury and the National Guard armory on the east side of Franklin?