[Discussion] What is Terrorism?

The world is a dangerous place, and nuclear war isn't the only threat.
Beяnie
Regular contributor

Wed Sep 14, 2016 3:31 am

The proper definition of terrorism is "the use of violence and intimidation in the pursuit of political aims."

As terrorism has become commonly associated with Radical Islam and Radical Islam only over the last 1 to 2 decades, we begin to lose sight of the fact that terrorism comes in many shapes and shades. If we evaluate groups under the original definition of terrorism, would not North Korea, or even Russia, in some circumstances, also fall under the shroud of terrorism? I don't believe that terrorism is restricted to a religion, a skin color, a group or even a nation-state. Terrorism can come in many forms, but it's the effects that terrorism can have on the world that makes it one. Of course, this may be biased compared to others' opinions, given my heritage, but I don't think that it's whether your a Muslim or not that defines what terrorism is. It's intent and effect that matters. But that's just me, so my comments are to be taken with a grain of a salt.
"You are remembered for the rules you break, not the ones you follow"
- General Douglas MacArthur

Worldwatcher
Power poster 1
Power poster 1

Wed Sep 14, 2016 3:41 am

Beяnie wrote:The proper definition of terrorism is "the use of violence and intimidation in the pursuit of political aims."
It is much more complicated then that definition. Hence why scholars and leaders still have no agreed upon definition.
As terrorism has become commonly associated with Radical Islam and Radical Islam only over the last 1 to 2 decades, we begin to lose sight of the fact that terrorism comes in many shapes and shades. If we evaluate groups under the original definition of terrorism, would not North Korea, or even Russia, in some circumstances, also fall under the shroud of terrorism? I don't believe that terrorism is restricted to a religion, a skin color, a group or even a nation-state. Terrorism can come in many forms, but it's the effects that terrorism can have on the world that makes it one. Of course, this may be biased compared to others' opinions, given my heritage, but I don't think that it's whether your a Muslim or not that defines what terrorism is. It's intent and effect that matters. But that's just me, so my comments are to be taken with a grain of a salt.
You are correct in this. "Waves" of terrorism have come and gone.
"There's a cold war coming,
On the radio I heard
Baby it's a violent world"

- Coldplay, Life In Technicolor II

hrng
Power poster 1
Power poster 1

Wed Sep 14, 2016 4:20 am

Worldwatcher wrote:
Beяnie wrote:The proper definition of terrorism is "the use of violence and intimidation in the pursuit of political aims."
It is much more complicated then that definition. Hence why scholars and leaders still have no agreed upon definition.
I think if you add "by a non-state entity" to the definition then it works.